HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   What Not To Eat with High Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/821940-what-not-eat-high-blood-pressure.html)

nonan47 11-07-2010 02:35 PM

What Not To Eat with High Blood Pressure

I know with the Internet I should be able to get this information in a heart beat, but everywhere I look someone is trying to sell me something.
Would someone just maybe give me a list of things to stay away from if I have high blood pressure.
Thank you

zuzu8 11-07-2010 04:27 PM

Re: What Not To Eat with High Blood Pressure

Salt salt and more salt! Table salt for one. This means refrain if you can from picking up the salt shaker, or at least use it sparingly.
Ideally you should limit your daily intake of sodium in all forms to [B]2300mg[/B] a day. That's approximately equal to 1 teaspoon of table salt.
Read all labels on packaged foods, cans, breads, cookies, soup etc. EVERYTHING seems to be loaded with sodium. Even if label says "1/3 less salt"- read how many mgs. And make sure when you read the label you are reading how much sodium [I]per serving[/I].
Even some so called "fresh" chicken you buy at the supermarket may have added salt.

The salt habit is a tough one to break but can be done. Garlic and other seasonings really help.
You don't have to skip it altogether, but you will do yourself a lot of good if you can limit it to 2300mg in all its forms.

Good luck!
zuzu

nonan47 11-07-2010 05:11 PM

It seems I heard someone say that coffee is another bp elevator. If I buy decaffinated will that help. It seems when I get up and have a cup of coffee in an hour or two my blood pressure is up.
And thank you for info, yes hard habit to break.

denzuko1 02-24-2011 02:28 AM

Hi, I just joined this forum.

There is a diet that I found on the internet called DASH and a DASH II. These are guidelines of Diet for hypertension. Hope it will help.

cartner 02-24-2011 03:05 AM

Actually I will talk from my own experience, everybody is different. You might find that you are not salt sensitive. Yes salt will raise your bp, but for me what is worse than salt is carbs. When I eat a high carb meal, my bp just spikes 30 points. When I eat low carb moderate salt meal it doesn't spike.

Normally, you will see effects when you change your diet but it will take 6-12 months. Be patient. There are certain foods that raise blood pressure and even fruit. For example, [b]Tangerine[/b] raises blood pressure. Although that you will find anything about that online, at least not in English. But I was told by a German doctor few years ago, when I used to get high readings at winter. It's because we eat Tangerine in winter, not because winter itself although cold weather raises your bp too.

I managed to stop medication and lower my bp naturally (I feel much more better).
Freel free to ask any question
Mike

atengnr 02-24-2011 10:46 PM

To echo what was stated....It is best to experiment with what foods, beverages worsen your BP. Salt restriction is a great idea, but pratically speaking it is difficult to do. Youll still consume 4g of salt pretty easily.....So, I also suggest that you determine if you are salt sensitive or not. Reduce sodium for a week or two and see if your readings are decreasing. If they are, then you have a choice to make about your diet :)

I hear mention of all sorts of supplements, etc. Try them, perhaps youll get lucky, but honestly, I wouldnt hope for much. IMHO.

Aerobic exercise is a proven way to reduce BP.

runnnergirl 03-01-2011 01:34 PM

First, the DASH diet mentioned earlier is an excellent diet for lowering blood pressure. It is a thoroughly tested approach to lowering blood pressure and a great place to start.

< edited >

Hope this helps!

Kevin Mac 03-02-2011 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=nonan47;4618736]I know with the Internet I should be able to get this information in a heart beat, but everywhere I look someone is trying to sell me something.
Would someone just maybe give me a list of things to stay away from if I have high blood pressure.
Thank you[/QUOTE]
Sodium. Everything we eat, with very few exceptions has sodium. Sodium is necessary in our diets. However, when we have too much sodium our bodies retain water, our blood vessels constrict and our kidneys have to work harder to eliminate the water. If you are young and active, stay active physically but watch your sodium intake. No more than 1300mg (not grams, MILIGRAMS - a teaspoon of salt has about 3000 mg. of sodium) a day should start to make a difference in your BP.

wingfoot 03-06-2011 02:12 PM

New member. I'm interested in what you said about being able to lower your BP and got of meds. Can you tell me how?

michelleA 03-06-2011 03:25 PM

Look up DASH diet. It's a diet developed by the government. It can reduce blood pressure in 14 days. There is info on a .gov site with a general list of foods and the mayo clinic site has many DASH recipes. My husbands' doctor recommended the DASH diet in lieu of medications. Our entire family is using it and my husband's blood pressure was down at the end of 14 days.

robertafusco1 12-04-2011 04:35 AM

[QUOTE=nonan47;4618736]I know with the Internet I should be able to get this information in a heart beat, but everywhere I look someone is trying to sell me something.
Thank you[/QUOTE]

nonan47 12-04-2011 06:57 PM

Thank you, sounds interesting.

dantescritic 12-13-2011 10:37 AM

Salt has been shown not to cause a dramatic increase in blood pressure at all. The difference is 4 mm/hg. I really wish people would educate themselves on the salt myth, then we could REALLY be focusing on what is causing our hypertension.

barefoo1 12-14-2011 01:37 PM

Can you give us a synopis of what you did to lower your BP naturally?