It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

nonan47 HB Usernonan47 HB User
Red face What Not To Eat with High Blood Pressure

I know with the Internet I should be able to get this information in a heart beat, but everywhere I look someone is trying to sell me something.
Would someone just maybe give me a list of things to stay away from if I have high blood pressure.
Thank you

Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: What Not To Eat with High Blood Pressure

Salt salt and more salt! Table salt for one. This means refrain if you can from picking up the salt shaker, or at least use it sparingly.
Ideally you should limit your daily intake of sodium in all forms to 2300mg a day. That's approximately equal to 1 teaspoon of table salt.
Read all labels on packaged foods, cans, breads, cookies, soup etc. EVERYTHING seems to be loaded with sodium. Even if label says "1/3 less salt"- read how many mgs. And make sure when you read the label you are reading how much sodium per serving.
Even some so called "fresh" chicken you buy at the supermarket may have added salt.

The salt habit is a tough one to break but can be done. Garlic and other seasonings really help.
You don't have to skip it altogether, but you will do yourself a lot of good if you can limit it to 2300mg in all its forms.

Good luck!
zuzu

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
nonan47 (11-07-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

It seems I heard someone say that coffee is another bp elevator. If I buy decaffinated will that help. It seems when I get up and have a cup of coffee in an hour or two my blood pressure is up.
And thank you for info, yes hard habit to break.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
(male)

denzuko1 HB User

Hi, I just joined this forum.

There is a diet that I found on the internet called DASH and a DASH II. These are guidelines of Diet for hypertension. Hope it will help.

The following user gives a hug of support to denzuko1:
missymaxwell (01-04-2012)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Actually I will talk from my own experience, everybody is different. You might find that you are not salt sensitive. Yes salt will raise your bp, but for me what is worse than salt is carbs. When I eat a high carb meal, my bp just spikes 30 points. When I eat low carb moderate salt meal it doesn't spike.

Normally, you will see effects when you change your diet but it will take 6-12 months. Be patient. There are certain foods that raise blood pressure and even fruit. For example, Tangerine raises blood pressure. Although that you will find anything about that online, at least not in English. But I was told by a German doctor few years ago, when I used to get high readings at winter. It's because we eat Tangerine in winter, not because winter itself although cold weather raises your bp too.

I managed to stop medication and lower my bp naturally (I feel much more better).
Freel free to ask any question
Mike

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

To echo what was stated....It is best to experiment with what foods, beverages worsen your BP. Salt restriction is a great idea, but pratically speaking it is difficult to do. Youll still consume 4g of salt pretty easily.....So, I also suggest that you determine if you are salt sensitive or not. Reduce sodium for a week or two and see if your readings are decreasing. If they are, then you have a choice to make about your diet

I hear mention of all sorts of supplements, etc. Try them, perhaps youll get lucky, but honestly, I wouldnt hope for much. IMHO.

Aerobic exercise is a proven way to reduce BP.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
(female)

runnnergirl HB User

First, the DASH diet mentioned earlier is an excellent diet for lowering blood pressure. It is a thoroughly tested approach to lowering blood pressure and a great place to start.

< edited >

Hope this helps!

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-01-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
(male)

Kevin Mac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonan47 View Post
I know with the Internet I should be able to get this information in a heart beat, but everywhere I look someone is trying to sell me something.
Would someone just maybe give me a list of things to stay away from if I have high blood pressure.
Thank you
Sodium. Everything we eat, with very few exceptions has sodium. Sodium is necessary in our diets. However, when we have too much sodium our bodies retain water, our blood vessels constrict and our kidneys have to work harder to eliminate the water. If you are young and active, stay active physically but watch your sodium intake. No more than 1300mg (not grams, MILIGRAMS - a teaspoon of salt has about 3000 mg. of sodium) a day should start to make a difference in your BP.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
(male)

wingfoot HB User

New member. I'm interested in what you said about being able to lower your BP and got of meds. Can you tell me how?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
(female)

michelleA HB User

Look up DASH diet. It's a diet developed by the government. It can reduce blood pressure in 14 days. There is info on a .gov site with a general list of foods and the mayo clinic site has many DASH recipes. My husbands' doctor recommended the DASH diet in lieu of medications. Our entire family is using it and my husband's blood pressure was down at the end of 14 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to michelleA For This Useful Post:
wingfoot (03-07-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #11
(female)

robertafusco1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonan47 View Post
Thank you

Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
(female)

Thank you, sounds interesting.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User

Salt has been shown not to cause a dramatic increase in blood pressure at all. The difference is 4 mm/hg. I really wish people would educate themselves on the salt myth, then we could REALLY be focusing on what is causing our hypertension.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-14-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
(male)

barefoo1 HB User

Can you give us a synopis of what you did to lower your BP naturally?

Closed Thread