It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

Emma881 HB User
High Blood Pressure - Dizziness & Spots In Eyes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Emma and I live in the UK I have been unwell for approx 3-4 weeks now and I'm looking to speak with others for support.

Story so far...

I have never been a 'well' person, I had pneumonia twice as a child (2-3yrs of age) due to my mother loosing contraction at birth and I got fluid on the lungs. As a result I usually catch colds / chest infections etc easily as I am now a Chronic Asthmatic which I can actually cope with really well and can be rushed into hospital on a Sunday night and be back at work getting on with life on the Monday morning. Then as a young teenager I got poly-cystic ovaries so went on the pill which sorted it out but as you probably will all know you have to have your blood pressure taken before each repeat.

I have had fairly high blood pressure for years now (I am now 23) but never quite high enough to consider serious. I have had many blood tests and ECG's over the years all of which have come back clear and so the problem continues and for a time now I have suffered with quite bad headaches on and off and had meds on and off and hasn't seemed to get sorted out.

To start the recent issue...

I went to see my Doctor for my repeat pill blood pressure check and she was very concerned it was high (didn't ask, didn't want to know!) She told me to book in for a blood test & ECG ASAP, but unfortunately the soonest I could get was nearly 3 weeks wait.

Only a few days later I was driving home from work one afternoon and I started to see blurry spots floating across my eyes and I thought if it got any worse I would need to pull over, but I carried on and they seemed to disappear. I went into work the following day with a terrible headache and told my work colleagues about the spots and they said I was not myself and should make a doctors appointment, and I was told to see my GP that afternoon.

My BP was 220/104 - my Doctor was concerned and put me on Ace Inhibitors straight away to try and get it down between then and my blood tests. We hoped that once the blood pressure had gone down the headaches would go away.

They did not go away, it got worse. I began to get dizzy spells and so the duty nurse sent me straight back in that day, I saw another doctor who then decided I had a urine infection which was not connected and that was causing the dizziness and so was given antibiotics.

Still I continued dizzy spells over 4 days later and again my boss sent me home so back in I go and see the 1st doctor again, who takes my BP once again and although it had gone down, he felt it wasn't enough at 194/95 so gave me pain killers for the headaches and stopped the antibiotics.

The following week was my blood test & ECG, my BP 160/80 which is the lowest it's been in years. But still I didn't feel any better. That day my doctor rang to say the ECG was clear but as I did not feel any better he decided to stop the pain killers as he was concerned about side effects.

This brings me to today, I get my results this afternoon and my biggest fear is that they come back clear, and I am still suffering from the following:

~Terrible headaches - from pressure to sharp fast pains
~Dizzy Spells
~Confusion
~'Floaters' & 'Flashers' in my eyes, floating blobs of colour to zig zag neon coloured shapes to big grey shadows
~Feeling pain & pins and needles which may well be nerves

Has anyone else suffered from anything similar, has this impacted on your lives, as I have been signed off of work now for 3 weeks as I keep going into work for my boss to send me home and the doctor told me not to go in and not to drive so my life has been put on hold.

Would love to hear some of your stories.

Many Thanks
Emma ♥

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

Emma881 HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure - Dizziness & Spots In Eyes

Just an update for those who had viewed the thread.

I have had my results this afternoon and as I suspected they all come back clear, which has not filled me with confidence, and as a result the Doctor has now put me in for a CT scan as the headaches have not got any better, worse in fact. My BP was 190/79 which is still not the lower reading he was expecting on these meds.

Emma x

Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Well your bottom number is fine, your top number is high but I think you're already aware of this.

Is it possible you are suffering from migraines? That would cause your pressure to go up. Many of your symptoms sound like a migraine headache. Do you feel nausious also?

What meds are you on and dosage? Do you exercise?

I think your pressure is much to high for someone at your age, I would have them look at my kidney function.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
Well your bottom number is fine, your top number is high but I think you're already aware of this.
Yes the Doctor was pleased the bottom number had gone down but can not understand why the top number is not following

Quote:
Is it possible you are suffering from migraines? That would cause your pressure to go up. Many of your symptoms sound like a migraine headache. Do you feel nausious also?
I'm sure it is possible, but the Doctor has not confirmed anything, I have researched and seen 'ocular migraines' which would make sense but my Doctor seems to think there should be something causing the high blood pressure and that the headaches are a side effect but he is not sure. I guess the CT scan will point us in the right direction

Quote:
What meds are you on and dosage? Do you exercise?
I am on an ACE Inhibitor but can not remember the name off the top of my head, Doctor says he does not want to put me on Beta blockers at my age

To be honest, no I don't exercise I am asthmatic and a little 'curvy' I went through a stage of joining the gym but it made no difference to my blood pressure but since getting a mortgage I have cancelled my membership

Quote:
I think your pressure is much to high for someone at your age, I would have them look at my kidney function.
Yeah it's been high for a fair few years now and each time they say it's too high for my age but never high enough to look at it seriously until now when I have bad health.

A little update...
I went back to work this morning as I was fed up of being at home and it has been the most difficult day so far, I have had a number of dizzy spells and my boss ending up bringing me home (as I still can not drive) early as they need me in tomorrow and have seen me get worse as the day has gone on.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

I think you might well have two different problems ... All the symptoms that you described (except the HBP) were suffered by my 32 years old son (also asthmatic) .... Headache, dizziness, colors ans stars in the vision, confusion, pins in legs and hands .... He was to ER and immediately derived to the neurological unit where after some long and painful tests, diagnosed him a nerve breakdown due to stress ... I do not know what medications he got, but he was put for 2 months to relax and far away from the office.

By the way, have they checked your levels of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)? It is key for nerves health.

Also if you are taking medication for asthma it could increase your BP.

Good luck,

Jesus

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrueda View Post
I think you might well have two different problems ... All the symptoms that you described (except the HBP) were suffered by my 32 years old son (also asthmatic) .... Headache, dizziness, colors ans stars in the vision, confusion, pins in legs and hands .... He was to ER and immediately derived to the neurological unit where after some long and painful tests, diagnosed him a nerve breakdown due to stress ... I do not know what medications he got, but he was put for 2 months to relax and far away from the office.
Hmmm yes, your description would make sense, I don't know what tests they would do in the UK to find this out, but I will mention this to my Doctor. Thank you it does seem possible.

Quote:
By the way, have they checked your levels of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)? It is key for nerves health.
To be honest I do not know, all I know is that I had 'full bloods taken' I am not sure this would include B1, I will check this as well.

Quote:
Also if you are taking medication for asthma it could increase your BP.
No, my asthma has been under fairly good control recently, the Doctor has changed any meds I was already on that affected BP to an alternative which has no affect on the BP

Thank you very much for your advice, it is very much appreciated =o)

Old 11-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Just another update...

I have done 3 half days at work this week, as my boss is so sure I shouldn't be in work they have been good enough to run me home each day.

The first day - I lasted until 2.30pm (Start @ 8am should finish @ 4pm) and thought I felt alright. Until I got home... sat down on the sofa and lost myself. I remember my mum ringing me to check I was o.k but I don't remember what I said I was that out of it, I then remember her getting home a few hours later but again I struggled to speak and went back into a deep sleep. Once I woke up I was scared, I didn't really remember where I was or how I'd got there and felt in so much pain and confusion like I'd been hit by a bus but once I was moving around I felt slightly more 'with it' But when it came to 'bedtime' I began to get chest pains.

The following day I only made it to 1.30pm and felt worse the second day at work, but I think that's only as I was tired as I'd been off work for 3 weeks previous. Once I got home I knew what to expect so once I fell asleep I wasn't so worried when I woke up, although I still felt like I'd been hit by a bus. The chest pains were coming on and off. And at bedtime I didn't feel like I could fall asleep until well past midnight.

This brings us to yesterday, I woke up with a really husky voice (probably from feeling exhausted). I felt extremely sick in the morning and although thinking I shouldn't be venturing in I decided to anyway. I struggled through the morning and had real issues concentrating on the paperwork. By about 11am my manager said that her and my boss had decided I looked far worse and was going home @ noon. The chest pains are now getting more frequent, and although my mum was concerned and wanted me to ring the Docs, I just didn't have the energy. Went to bed and again had a few chest pains along side the headaches but got to sleep earlier.

Woke up this morning still with a husky voice, and during breakfast (jam on toast) the strongest pains so far. I have promised myself that if it doesn't ease by Sunday evening I shall be ringing the Doctors Monday morning.

On a brighter note I have received by CT scan appointment for Nov 24th @ 6.45pm (late I know)

Emma x

Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
(male)

In your first post you did not mentioned anything about chest pain... they can be angina or a real heart attack ... if you had the opportunity try to go to ER and get a ECG while you feel the pain, if it is heart related it should appear there.

Jesus

Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Quote:
In your first post you did not mentioned anything about chest pain... they can be angina or a real heart attack ... if you had the opportunity try to go to ER and get a ECG while you feel the pain, if it is heart related it should appear there.

Jesus
No the chest pain has only started the last few days. Will be ringing Docs 1st thing Monday morning.

Actually I must have updated too early today as since posting I've had a terrible turn in the shower, saw a big explosion of white in my eyes and felt faint, had blurry vision for approx 5 mins. Really shaken up now but feeling no extra pain.
Just doing what the British do best and having a cup of tea =o/

Emma x

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Another update...

I managed to get back into see my Doctor again today and explained the bad turn I had on Saturday and the chest pains.

He took my BP again and at 190/84 the bottom number is doing o.k but top number still up. He has said that he would like to now put me on Beta Blockers but due to being asthmatic he was not going to go down that road.

I did have a little breakdown in his office as the pain of the headaches and now the collapsing is really getting to me, and I feel as though people aren't taking it seriously. He has explained that his hands are tied until the results of the CT is back, and that the collapsing & chest pains is due to the anxiety of the never ending headaches is causing and that I am stuck in a vicious circle, and once they find the answer to the headaches the dizzy spells should ease off.

He has proscribed stronger painkillers and signed me off again but allowing me to go in to work when I feel fit for a few hours at a time.

Emma x

Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
(male)

When do you have the CT scheduled??

If he thinks that your chest pain is due to anxiety, has he gave you any meds. for that?

What type of painkiller he gives you? General one or migraine specific one?

How do you feel now??

Jesus

Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Have they done a MRI to rule out MS?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Quote:
When do you have the CT scheduled??
Nov 24th @ 6.45pm

Quote:
If he thinks that your chest pain is due to anxiety, has he gave you any meds. for that?
No, he keeps saying he doesn't want to give me anything extra incase something does show up on the CT and it does more harm than good.

Quote:
What type of painkiller he gives you? General one or migraine specific one?
Just a general one, I am taking the painkiller along side paracetamol, I did ask about migraines and he did say it could well be migraines but he's not sure as the BP is still too high and to him migraines doesn't explain the HBP reading.

Quote:
How do you feel now??
No change as yet, I have just taken my 4th dose of the painkiller this morning so hopefully wont be too long until it starts to kick in, I'm taking the next few days off work to rest and get over the bad turn I had Saturday.

Quote:
Have they done a MRI to rule out MS?
No they haven't but after speaking to a friend who has got an on going condition that the Doctors cant pin point is waiting for a MRI, so if the CT is clear I'd like to think they would go down that road next. I hear they aren't very nice though =o/

Old 11-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma881 View Post
... I am now a Chronic Asthmatic which I can actually cope with really well and can be rushed into hospital on a Sunday night and be back at work getting on with life on the Monday morning.
What do you take for your Asthma?

How well is your Asthma really under control?

Do you frequently get a tightness in your chest, or labored breathing? How often do you notice that it is a little tough to breath? It may not be difficult to breath, but you might, at times, be more aware of your breathing.

Quote:
I have had fairly high blood pressure for years now (I am now 23) but never quite high enough to consider serious.
You are too young to be having all of these health burdens. Buts..... this is a warning shot across your bough. You need to take steps NOW, in order to insure a healthier later life.

Things don't usually get better with age, they get WORSE!

Quote:
I have had many blood tests and ECG's over the years all of which have come back clear and so the problem continues and for a time now I have suffered with quite bad headaches on and off and had meds on and off and hasn't seemed to get sorted out.
You have an Immune System Disorder called Asthma! This means that your Immune System and NeuroHormonal Systems are constantly in dysfunction. These two systems are over-active and over-reactive, and can cause all kinds of health misery, including head aches, swelling, joint pain, dizziness, balance problems, high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and on and on and on.

One has to wonder why doctors overlook the obvious, ....... Asthma and Allergies!

Quote:
To start the recent issue...

I went to see my Doctor for my repeat pill blood pressure check and she was very concerned it was high (didn't ask, didn't want to know!) She told me to book in for a blood test & ECG ASAP, but unfortunately the soonest I could get was nearly 3 weeks wait.
Allergies/Asthma cause an over reaction through the NeuroHormonal System, which raises, not only the Blood Pressure, but also the pulse rate. It is quite common for those with Allergies and Asthma and other Immune System Disorders to suffer from High Blood Pressure.

You can go through tests until the cows come home, and you will probably not find out anything new.

Ze problem is........ after several years, etc., of an over active, over-reactive NeuroHormonal and Immune System, damage starts showing up in various organs/glands/nerves in the body, and then it starts showing up in blood tests. Blood Sugar starts becoming a problem. The Thyroid starts giving problems. Joints might start getting stiff and sore. Nerves can also be effected..... numbness...... tingling....... pain.... etc.

Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken NOW to better insure a healthier future.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-16-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
(female)

Emma881 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
What do you take for your Asthma?

How well is your Asthma really under control?

Do you frequently get a tightness in your chest, or labored breathing? How often do you notice that it is a little tough to breath? It may not be difficult to breath, but you might, at times, be more aware of your breathing.
I take a turbo inhaler in the mornings and I carry a ventolin blue inhaler with me at all times but rarely need it.

It's in fairly good control these days, if I get a cold then I normally get a chest infection but that's normally less than once a year which is alot better than it used to be. My breathing is normally fine, the only time recently I have been aware of my breathing is during the chest pains, I tried an inhaler at the time and realised it is not asthma related and as a result it did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
You have an Immune System Disorder called Asthma! This means that your Immune System and NeuroHormonal Systems are constantly in dysfunction. These two systems are over-active and over-reactive, and can cause all kinds of health misery, including head aches, swelling, joint pain, dizziness, balance problems, high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and on and on and on.

One has to wonder why doctors overlook the obvious, ....... Asthma and Allergies!

Allergies/Asthma cause an over reaction through the NeuroHormonal System, which raises, not only the Blood Pressure, but also the pulse rate. It is quite common for those with Allergies and Asthma and other Immune System Disorders to suffer from High Blood Pressure.

You can go through tests until the cows come home, and you will probably not find out anything new.

Ze problem is........ after several years, etc., of an over active, over-reactive NeuroHormonal and Immune System, damage starts showing up in various organs/glands/nerves in the body, and then it starts showing up in blood tests. Blood Sugar starts becoming a problem. The Thyroid starts giving problems. Joints might start getting stiff and sore. Nerves can also be effected..... numbness...... tingling....... pain.... etc.

Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken NOW to better insure a healthier future.
Is there some steps you could suggest I can change myself?

Emma xx

Closed Thread