It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
(male)

Ricky411 HB User
Beta Blocker Toprol XL

I take Toprol XL 25mg in the morning for slightly high BP. I have recently been trying to lose a few pounds to help. Does this medicine make weight loss more difficult? I read that beta blockers prevent the body from losing weight. Is this true? Would I be more successful taking the med at night instead.

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky411; 11-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Beta Blocker Toprol XL

Ricky,

Toprol and other beta blockers often blunt the body's response to exercise by keeping the heart rate from increasing to a very high level. In that sense, you're burning less calories from exercise because you are unable to exercise quite as vigorously.

If you like the weight loss regimen you have now, the way around this is to exercise for a longer duration of time!

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
Ricky411 (11-12-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Beyond the reduced exercise, beta blockers reduce basal metabolic rate. The trouble is, based on my experience, they dont seem to lead to reduced appetite in conjunction with the lower BMR.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
Ricky411 (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
(male)

Ricky411 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Beyond the reduced exercise, beta blockers reduce basal metabolic rate. The trouble is, based on my experience, they dont seem to lead to reduced appetite in conjunction with the lower BMR.
Yes, I have noticed that. I often have less energy for exercise, but my appetite is still the same. This is the frustrating part when trying to lose weight. I have been on them for about 6 years now.

Closed Thread