It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

Paseo HB User
Orthostatic Hypertension

Hello to everyone!

I am usually on the thyroid board, but due to some recent developments I humbly ask for advice from anyone here. My story...

About 3 months ago I was at my father's house and got out of bed and started walking to the house (I was camping in a tent with my 2 boys) and I felt very strange. I was very weak and dizzy and my vision was getting blurry. I made it to the bathroom and sat down. Everything started to blackout and I thought I was dying. That's all I remember until I woke up about a minute or so later. I had fainted, fallen to my left, hit the wall, scratched up my face and ended up on the floor between the toilet and wall. I had pulled my neck muscles either during the fall or trying to get myself out of the tight spot. That was the first time in my life (I'm 31) I have ever fainted.

Fast forward to last Monday. I was at the gym with my roommate and I was on my last set of 8 bench presses. I had been struggling with this weight (205) for a couple of weeks and I was on my 8th rep. I was trying incredibly hard and started to hold my breath (bad, I know) to see if I could muscle it out. I couldn't quite get it. I got up and began to feel lightheaded, dizzy, and weak. I figured I could fight through it and started doing other exercises. I started feeling nauseous so I decided to go to the locker room and sit down for a minute. I was a bit unsteady on my feet as I made it down the hallway. I was a bit embarassed so I went to one of the stalls and sat down. I was also having some palpitations as well. I controlled my breathing and put my head down. It got worse so I went into the big handicap stall and sat on the floor against the wall with my head between my legs. I didn't faint that time, but I was very, very close.

So, my doc wanted to see me. The first fainting episode she was curious and a bit concerned, but it almost happening twice was not something she was ok with. I went in yesterday and she did a physical exam which included my initial bp sitting down (136/80), laying down (155/85), and then she had me stand up quickly and took that bp (200/90). I felt a bit dizzy when I stood up. She was shocked! She repeated the test to see if it happened again and sure enough it did. She had heard of orthostatic hypertension, but had yet to witness a case (yeah me!).

Anyway, to make a long story longer, she is running a grip of tests to rule out some things. A couple of them include a test for pheochromocytoma and primary aldosteronism (which can also be caused by an -oma of some sort).

Has anyone hear experienced this or know someone who has experienced this? Should I be worried or is it fairly straight-forward?

My doc wanted to start me immediately on meds, but she wanted to find out which one would be best so she consulted an endo and a cardio and they said to wait for my tests to come back to see if they could pinpoint the source.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for all taking the time to read this!
Fibromyalgia

Last edited by Paseo; 11-21-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: wrong readings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread