It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

marleyb19 HB User
lisinopril how long until it works

I am 24 years old 5'5 and 175pds I quit smoking for 3 1/2 years and started smoked again for six months and quit when I found out that my bp is 140/98 . The doctor perscribe lisinopril but I am scared to take it after reading these posts but I have been watching what I eat and exercising but its still high.. I dont know what to do.. please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: lisinopril how long until it works

Boy, doctors are prescribing BP meds for younger and younger people these days. At 24 I know you do not want to start taking pills and are trying to make lifestyle changes first.
Question: How much time did your doctor give you to alter diet and your exercise regimen before prescribing lisinopril? And did he Rx the drug based on one elevated reading?

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

P.S. Marley,

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) given your age, height, weight and gender, you have a Body Mass Index of 29.1 kg/m2. (they have a very specific and scientific calculator available online).
If your BMI is 26 or over, that's considered "overweight".
Your weight is at the 83rd percentile compared to others of your same age and weight.
If you are at 50th percentile, you are close to the average weight.
At 90th percentile, your weight is greater than 90% of others.
At 20th percentile, then 80% of others weigh more than you.

This is just a fancy way of saying you might do yourself a lot of good by dropping some weight, 15-20 pounds. Hard work I know, but many many people can avoid/reverse hypertension (and those meds!) by dropping some pounds.

Has your doctor discussed this with you?

zuzu

Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Hi Marley, I won't nag on you about your weight.

Lisinopril worked within 3 hours after I started taking it. You may need a higher dosage or a different med. You should probably see your doc if it's still not under control.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
(female)

marleyb19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
Hi Marley, I won't nag on you about your weight.

Lisinopril worked within 3 hours after I started taking it. You may need a higher dosage or a different med. You should probably see your doc if it's still not under control.
I had a few glasses of wine on Thanksgiving and checked my bp it was 155/105 which is pretty high.. I am trying to exercise more and east better and I know in the mean time I should take the meds I am just so nervous because I am so young.. and all these side effects scare me! I just wish I knew what was the best choice...

Old 11-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
(female)

marleyb19 HB User

My doctor was pretty good.. he told me my bp was high and that I should try to make lifestyle changes and gave me three months but at the time I was real stressed out started grad school so I thought once I got used to the new things going on it would go down... not realizing that they have noticed an incline of my bp dated almost two years ago it has just been creeping up... I am just nervous about starting the meds I know I can make the lifestyle changes and I have been doing great for the last week quitting smoking walking for 30mins and watching my sodium and it hasnt gone down a bit.. so how long does it take for these changes to work? and in the mean time am i killing my heart? I am scared to take meds but I dont want to keep hurting myself.. Please help!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

How dosage is he put you on? I didn't notice any side effects and I aon 10mg

Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marley,

You really need the entire 3 months of regular exercise and dietary changes to know if you can reduce your BP without drugs. Some doctors even say "six months" especially at your young age. Sounds like your efforts may have been sporadic what with grad school stress etc.
Congratulations are in order though, for quitting smoking. It's one of the hardest (and healthiest) things you can do. KUDOS!

Are you also watching your salt intake? Oh, pardon, you are. Just remember it's important to keep your daily sodium intake to 2300-2400mg a day TOTAL. (that's equivalent to 1 TEAspoon table salt). That includes not just table salt but read the labels on everything. Breads, cookies, packaged foods, soups, canned stuff, are usually loaded with salt. Check how much sodium "per serving".

Don't be afraid of lisinopril by the way. It's an ACE inhibitor and very effective and most people do very well on it without side effects... Those are the 30 million+ who don't post on this forum!

Give yourself a real 3 months of sustained and regular exercise/diet and see how you do.

zuzu

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

marley - take the pill. i'm 33...started on lisinopril when i was 28...your doc is prob starting you on a very lose dose anyway...5mg. chances are it won't do all that much...you might need 10 or 20. i take 20...no side effects... you can try the lifestyle changes, but they will need to be substantial and consistent...lose 40 - 50 lbs, quit smoking, diet, exercise every day 30 min to 1 hour at least...watch the stress levels...if you want to do that every day of your life, then you 'might' be ok. otherwise you might just have genetic high bp like the rest of us. if you want to have a cheeseburger and glass of wine here and there and not have to exercise constantly, just take the pill. i know how you feel...i fought it and still am fighting it. i've come so far as to being underweight and running marathons...and i still take it. and i still get high panic attack readings...but seriously, just try it. no medicine is worse than high bp.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
(female)

marleyb19 HB User

Thank you everyone for responding to my posts! I went to the doctors today and the nurse took my blood pressure the old fashioned way and it supposable read 125/78 and my doctor is giving me a little more time working on lifestyle changes but when I got home I took my BP again with my BP machine and it read 143/89... so either my machine is broke or the nurse mis calculated my bp.. I am nervous because my next appt isnt for two months? I am probably just being a hypocondriac but something doesnt sound right... what do you think?

Thank you all so much!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

both readings are probably accurate...bp changes every second and depending on how/when/where it is checked. read online about the best way to check at home and monitor it a couple times a week/month. call your doc if you start to see consistently higher readings...but even so, another 2 months without meds (if you need them) wont make a difference. it's a long haul game.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinete For This Useful Post:
marleyb19 (11-29-2010)
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
(female)

JMG67 HB User

Lisinopril landed me in the hospital twice this week due to throat and face swelling, even after being given an EPI pen at home (I carry it for a wasp allergy). I'm older than you, 44, but there is no way I am going on another med. I will ramp up my exercise and do all the recommended natural things. I started drinking hyacinth tea because I heard that works quite well. Best of luck to you. If you do go on it, don't ignore any symptoms, especially if they seem swelling related. It almost killed me.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

Hi my blood pressure was always high, anytime I sprained an ankle or what not the ER triage nurse would do a double take that started at like 16-18 years old,

Now a year ago January I started falling apart from the const. company I have owned the last 20 years and went to the doc and he said my blood pressure was high, at 37 years old!! 150s!
but waited another 5-6 months before it was 169/94 or so one day and said I HAVE to start the meds,
within two weeks it stayed around 150 ish and couple months later 140 s and now is in the 130s and 120s so it is helping 10 MG. Lisinopril no side affects,
and I can only imagine all the damage I have done to my heart and body throughout the years not having any medical attention.
If I wasn't dying I didn't need the docs got sick just about every prenatal visit with the wife and hated them places but now they are saving my life I suppose.
Good luck with it and your probably going to have to start it anyhow even at your young age. the docs never treated young people before they just let ya destroy your heart,
till ya gotta have it or die when ya get old and once we get in our fifty's, if it keeps going up there is only a handful of meds you can take,
as my Mother takes them all and hers rides around the 170s constantly at 58 years old and she done what I done a life of no treatment well at 37 she started after her first of 12 heart attacks had bypass surgery, arterial bypass legs lasted 11 years she's going in to get new hoses in her legs,aorta bypass she's all screwed up and if meds will help you TAKE them keep an eye on your cholestrol and you gotta loose some weight for you heart at least.
nobody wants to start these meds but it may be the best choice it is a life long commitment. Good luck

Closed Thread