It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

flyonthewall3 HB User
Taurine and low blood pressure

I have started taking 2 - 3 grams of taurine on the days that I work to help lower my axiety a little bit. I noticed that it was making me feel lightedheaded, so I did some searching online. I found that taurine lowers blood pressure. My blood pressure is usually on the low end of normal. I'm wondering if I'm feeling lightheaded, does that mean that my blood pressure is dropping too low? Should I be concerned and stop taking it? If it's safe to keep taking it, I'm willing to deal with a little lightheadedness for the benefits. But if it's not safe, then of course I'll need to stop. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Taurine and low blood pressure

Most reputable companies set 500mg-3,000mg per day as the standard dosage. 2000 grams is 2000mg, 3 grams is 3000mg, so you are taking the high end of the recommended dose.

As for lowing the blood pressure, it seems that dosages way ABOVE that, up to 6000mg (6 grams) have been used by cardiac patients trying to lower blood pressure.

So in theory, up to 3,000 milligrams a day of supplemental taurine is considered "safe". But that's not to say it isn't lowering yourblood pressure, since you say your BP is already pretty low.

Moderation is important, however. And it's important to know that very little is known about the effects of heavy or long-term use.

You may want to stop it for a while, see how you feel, and then start it again, maybe at a lower dose at first. See how you feel at low dose.

zuzu

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-27-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

flyonthewall3: Taurine is a neurotransmitter. I found out I was low in it after I had my neurotransmitters tested because I've got seizures because of menopause. I take it and don't seem to be lightheaded. Have you ever had your blood sugars tested? Low sugars can cause lightheadedness and dizziness. I've got low BP too but I had it before I started taking Taurine. Are you cold alot? I am always freezing and I'm told that it's a sign of the low BP and it's also a symptom of estrogen dominance. What does your doctor say?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

When I took higher doses of Taurine, I noticed irregular heart beats more often. Though Taurine is good for the heart, the side effects concerned me. It could also be that Taurine can interfere with other HBP or prescribed medications, just like many other supplements. It seems that interraction information is lacking with most supplements. I've been taking higher doses of Omega-3 fish oil up until recently, when a recent Medical publication stated that higher doses of DHA in fish oil worsens Colitis/bleeding and increases the Colon Cancer risk. Many supplements need more research.

Closed Thread