It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Altace and Nausea

I have been taking a low dose of Altace for about a week. I'm supposed to gradually increase the dosage as I am comfortable with it. Since starting I have noticed bouts of nausea. I didn't have it before I started, so I'm pretty sure that is what is causing it. I haven't increased the dosage for fear of increased nausea.

Will the nausea go away as I adjust to this medication or not? Could the nausea be caused by low blood pressure? I haven't checked it since I started on Altace. My blood pressure wasn't real high to begin with (130/90 at times but sometimes 120/80). I am Type I diabetic, so my Endo wants my blood pressure perfect. Any suggestions?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Altace and Nausea

Nausea can be a side effect of Altace. Sometimes initial side effects abate within a couple of weeks.

However, I would call my doctor now, and let him/her know you are feeling queasy and are reluctant to increase the dose.
Doc may say give it another week at this first dose and see how you feel or may prescribe another med for you.

zuzu

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (11-29-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Thanks for your input. I have thought about doing that. I guess I just wanted to hope for the best. I really want to stay on it if possible. I took Altace about 8 years ago. I didn't have hypertension then, I just took it to protect my kidneys. I wasn't much of a computer bug as I am now and I didn't even know it was used to treat high blood pressure too. I took the smallest dose possible and never noticed any side effects. Oh well, I guess things change.

I also have had a sore throat most days since starting too AND a big cramp in my side. I guess I should just tell him all of these things and see what he has to say.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

All your symptoms could be a huge coincidence (or not!) but as you say, it's a good idea to run it all past your doctor.

I was prescribed Altace years ago and developed diarrhea so severe everyone was alarmed. No doctor ever considered that it might be the Altace even though I kept saying "this all started with this drug".
Had a colonoscopy and full GI workup and THEN they said, "oh, gee, it must be the Altace"
Duh.
After discontinuing the med I was right as rain within a week. Now on Diovan for 8 years, no side effects, and beautiful BP control.

So , good luck, let us know how it goes...

zuzu

Closed Thread