It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

salesian HB User
Thumbs up amlodopine

My GP recently prescribed me amlodopine for high blood pressure. Over the last couple of weeks I have experienced headaches every day as well as severe itching of arms and legs. I wondered whether anyone had experienced anything similar from taking this medication. Would very much appreciate any feedback

Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: amlodopine

Hi amlodopine can cause a feeling of "warmth" rapid heart beat and chest pain and fainting according to the net. Is there a rash? Maybe a check with the doctor to see if allergies are present may be in order.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

The two most common side effects of amlodopine are headache and edema.

Pruritis (itching!) has been reported during clinical trials.

Definitely talk to your doctor about this.

Good luck,

zuzu

The following user gives a hug of support to zuzu8:
sjb (12-03-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-03-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

brebre HB User

Norvasc also gives me chest pain and severe stomach ache with burning in the stomach. Is this chest pain that Norvasc causes cardiac heart pain?
Does it mean I should be off of it as chest pain =heart attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi amlodopine can cause a feeling of "warmth" rapid heart beat and chest pain and fainting according to the net. Is there a rash? Maybe a check with the doctor to see if allergies are present may be in order.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI everyone should probably make their own decisions for health care. Personally I the use of harmless herbs. :grin:

Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

brebre HB User

My blood pressure runs 220/120 without meds. What herb will help me immediately????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
HI everyone should probably make their own decisions for health care. Personally I the use of harmless herbs. :grin:

Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebre View Post
My blood pressure runs 220/120 without meds. What herb will help me immediately????
I didn't like Norvasc either. But you need to be on something, your blood pressure is terribly high.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I have a whole book on the subject of lowering blood pressure and it includes the lifestyle which has been outlined in some posts that have been put on here. Since it includes a whole lifestyle it would require more than just a few herbs. I am not !00% sure that the herbs would bring a very high pressure down far especially if lifestyle measures were omitted. The book also mentions that it may take about 40 days to reduce hypertension. It suggests being vegetarian. It suggests avoiding fats since it changes the charges in the blood so that a person is more likely to clot from blood cells clumping together. Some of the herbs it mentions are:

" watermelon seed, dandelion, cornsilk, buchu, burdock, and uva ursi." It says to "use 2 cups 4 times a day." It says, "Hawthorn berry and black cohosh, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant herbs, are also excellent teas for reducing blood pressure. Yarrow and mistletoe are also good for blood pressure. Drink four cups of any of these teas in one day. Tea must be made fresh daily to be effective, and only from herb s that were harvested less than one year from the time they are used (see Chapter Twelve for details). To slow the heart rate, use lily of the valley tea. Although lilly of the valley (convallaria majolis) is listed as a toxic herb, it has been used for centuries for heart problems. We have found it to be generally free of side effects in moderate usage, such as a cupful of the infusion of leaves 1-3 times daily. Nevertheless, it should be used with care, and preferably under the supervision and monitoring of your healthcare provider. It should not be used in conjunction with cardiac or blood pressure drugs."

"Hydrotherapy is one of the most effective way of temporarily treating acutely elevated blood pressure. It should be used when the patient is under stress or has sharp rise in blood pressure."

"A hot foot bath lowers the blood pressure as does a 20-90 minute neutral (95-100 degrees) or hot (100-110 degrees) bath. Caution should be used when stepping into the water, especially when it is very hot. The blood pressure can go up temporarily within the first 20-60 seconds if there is an extreme change in temperature."

Fomentations (hot compresses or hot wet towels) can be used to bring blood pressure down. (See chapter 12 for details)"

"avoid alcohol like the plague" "reduce salt, weight, stress, sugar..."

"Swelling of the feet and ankles will go down on a diet similar to the one we give for diabetics, as the metabolic cause of hypertension and diabetes is shared by many with high blood pressure. In both diseases we find sodium buildup in cells and fluid retention."

Last edited by sjb; 12-05-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: addition

Old 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesian View Post
My GP recently prescribed me amlodopine for high blood pressure. Over the last couple of weeks I have experienced headaches every day as well as severe itching of arms and legs. I wondered whether anyone had experienced anything similar from taking this medication. Would very much appreciate any feedback
amlodopine is a great med for hbp, the headaches should go away in 3 weeks atmost. You just have to watch your heart rate and for edema, if you don't get those then that's a good med for you. If you want try another med in the same drug class, namely CCB, I advice you to take Diltiazem SR. It's the only med among the 20 I have tried that works for me without any side effects that I know of
Just don't worry you will find a med that works for you, just give yourself 2 weeks with each trial and if you get side effects go back to your dr to try a different med from a different drug class (important).
But my experience with amlodopine and Diltiazem SR is very different, although they are in the same drug class.
Good luck!!!

Closed Thread