It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
What are the best medications to take for high blood pressure?

What is your blood pressure average in the morning?
I wonder what medications you may be on now. Still taking the CCB?

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: High blood pressure in the AM

Welcome back flowergirl,

My average is like 125/85 with heart rate of 70 to 85, this is what my avg is for the last few days. Before my diet I could say add 10 points to that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Machoan,

I totally agree with you, you know here they can put pateints on medications just from the first visit. Doctors have to put patients on medications, otherwise they are not doctors

Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hm............thinking...........guessin g you are right!!! Actually, Machaon, I know you are right about this! I wonder why two doctors allow me, a patient with the highest possible risks for everything, to walk around with uncontrolled blood pressure. I measure it every day now, though I had stopped and didn't for some time, and it is in the 150s/96 or so. I am sure I am feeling the effects, but ....no one seems to care. I am (again) waiting to hear what medications may be used to bring it down without affecting other organs too much.
So I agree with you - bringing it under control can be a challenge, and doctors like easy solutions.

I should mention that I take two diuretics and a beta blocker. My heart rate is high, as is the blood pressure on this medication.
FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wanted to try Coreg in the past when my blood pressure was well controlled. Doctors are reluctant to make any changes when the drug regimen seems to be working so well for the patient.

When drug therapy no longer results in good blood pressure control, a small adjustment to blood pressure medications can make all the difference. Some drugs stop yielding optimal results through time in existing doses as other medications are added and interact. Sometimes, our bodies learn to tolerate the drugs, making them less effective, and a dose increase or another medication are necessary.

It will be interesting to see which medication I will be asked to add to my diuretics and a beta blocker. I think the ACE inhibitor had a big role in helping me attain good blood pressure control. I should know by the end of the week. I will ask about trying another beta blocker (Coreg) again.
I took my blood pressure pills about an hour ago, at 6.30am. My blood pressure reading is now 130/93. That is not bad, but I hope it drops further after I get to work.

Microwave popcorn can't be bad for you, can it? Especially if it comes without butter.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
I wanted to try Coreg in the past when my blood pressure was well controlled.
How did you know, at that time, that your BP was well controlled? Did you take your BP frequently each day back then?

Quote:
... Microwave popcorn can't be bad for you, can it? Especially if it comes without butter.
Popcorn contains too many high glycemic carbs and too many calories in total. With a 1500 calorie diet, ze popcorn really puts me over the top.

The butter flavored popcorn contains 300 mg sodium, 12 calories protein, 50 calories fat and 70 calories carbs, per serving, or a total of 140 calories. An entire bag, then contains 900 mg sodium, 36 calories protein, 150 calories fat and 210 mg carbs, per bag, or a total of 420 calories.

The no flavored, no sodium added popcorn contains 20 mg sodium, 16 calories protein, 10 calories fat and 80 calories carbs, per serving, or a total of 120 calories. An entire bag, then contains 60 mg sodium, 64 calories protein, 30 calories fat and 240 mg carbs, per bag, or a total of 360 calories.

Ze problem is that the carbs in popcorn go into the blood stream fairly rapidly, which is not particularly healthy.

Quote:
I wonder why two doctors allow me, a patient with the highest possible risks for everything, to walk around with uncontrolled blood pressure. I measure it every day now, though I had stopped and didn't for some time, and it is in the 150s/96 or so.

flowergirl
I am not a medical professional, nor have I any medical education or training.

That said....... there are four essential steps towards 24 hour healthy blood pressure, all day long, night and day, cold or warm, stressed or relaxed, etc.
  • A very healthy diet of small, low calorie meals.
  • Avoiding stimulants, irritants and the triggers of unhealthy blood pressure.
  • Appropriate exercise.
  • The most effective medications.

If only one of the above essential steps are not followed 100%, then that person's blood pressure will be in less than healthy levels sometime, or most of the time during the day.

It's taken me about 30,000 blood pressure readings, many years, a log a mile long, and constant trial and error sessions, to successfully fulfill and complete all four essential steps. I don't know if there is a doctor on this planet that agrees with me, but I do know someone who had chronically high blood pressure, that now has healthy levels of blood pressure all day long. Me.

I am not boasting, and I hope that it doesn't sound like that. I am just trying to share as much as I can about what I have learned over the years. I hope, in some way, at least someone has benefited from my posts about this.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Machaon,

Quote:
How did you know, at that time, that your BP was well controlled? Did you take your BP frequently each day back then?
I used to take my blood pressure about twice a day, once first thing in the morning, then again just before going to bed late at night. Looking back, I can't really say that my blood pressure was well controlled, just stable and remaining close to desired levels for periods of time, sometimes months. (Thanks for pointing that out, Machaon! ) Then, something would happen to make it change.

It took a long time to figure out the right combination of medication to make my blood pressure behave. One should never assume that once the desired blood pressure levels are reached, they will stay that way. I always did. So, I would stop taking the readings, or measure it only every few days when all seemed well. That is not a wise thing to do.

When my blood pressure became too low to feel comfortable with, and I had to live with its symptoms, I started taking regular readings again. Those numbers really scared me, because keeping the blood pressure too low with medication is not healthy. I would be 80-86/52 or 54, feeling sick and dizzy all the time. My medications were not adjusted, because I did not register these low readings at the doctors's office.

My blood pressure is 135/90 right now, about an hour after I took medication. I need an adjustment to my current drug regimen . I am taking only a few drugs now after discontinuing most (as directed by my doctor). I feel much better and am quite happy about it.

Thanks for the info about popcorn - guess it is something I can live without!

flowergirl

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Machaon,

I used to take my blood pressure about twice a day, once first thing in the morning, then again just before going to bed late at night.
That was an excellent choice of two readings. If one gets high morning readings, or high evening readings, that is an obvious sign of unhealthy blood pressure. BP should be among the lowest in the AM and should dip down in the evening.

Quote:
It took a long time to figure out the right combination of medication to make my blood pressure behave. One should never assume that once the desired blood pressure levels are reached, they will stay that way. I always did. So, I would stop taking the readings, or measure it only every few days when all seemed well. That is not a wise thing to do.
Well put. I agree with you. There are many things that help to cause higher, unhealthy blood pressure, including stress, bad diet, anxiety, hormonal changes, stimulants, irritants, allergens, foods, drinks, supplements, chemicals, odors, pets, pollution, etc.

Buts..... in my case, when I am on my diet (which I am off right now), my blood pressure is at extremely healthy levels all the time, and my meds (Coreg and Quinapril) have consistently worked very well over a long period of time.

Quote:
My blood pressure is 135/90 right now, about an hour after I took medication. I need an adjustment to my current drug regimen . I am taking only a few drugs now after discontinuing most (as directed by my doctor). I feel much better and am quite happy about it.
A diastolic of 90 is not healthy. I hope that it gets down, hopefully below 80 once in a while.

Quote:
Thanks for the info about popcorn - guess it is something I can live without!

flowergirl
I've fallen victim to a popcorn addiction; and my blood pressure and heart failure symptoms have gotten worse. The worsening is acceptable at the time, but if I keep getting worse, from this point, I will have to cut back on the popcorn.

Another thought: Low blood pressure, if combined with a well functioning heart and circulatory system, is great. However, low blood pressure, due to medication and if combined with a poorly functioning heart and circulatory system, is not good, IMHO.

Flowergirl...... so good to be BS'ing with you again. I missed you! You sound in real good spirits, so I hope that means that you are doing well.

Have a merry Christmas, and the best of the New Years to you!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and everyone on this board!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: What are the best medications to take for high blood pressure?

Merry Christmas and Happy new year for everyone, we celebrate the christmas few weeks after your guys

Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am disappointed after seeing my doctor today. Nothing is being done as far as helping me attain better blood pressure control for now.

I feel that it is of utmost importance to get my blood pressure to healthier levels by making adjustments to my drug regimen. The problem seems to be determining what my blood pressure goal should be, what drugs should be used to achieve it, and the fact that the doctors offices close for the holidays.

Initially, my nephrologist wanted to see 110/70 readings. I was treated to well bellow this goal. Too low, as it turned out. I am told that very low blood pressure (as mine was) causes kidney failure in some people. So, for now, all I can do is hope that it will not spike too much in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, I will get some help then.

flowergirl

Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm sorry flowergirl, but I personally think that having a dr that really CARES is the best thing for our health. Most drs I have seen just interesting in getting your money, out of frequent visits, and putting you on meds.

Here in Egypt you can go and purchase any med you want from the pharmacy, this encouraged me to try as many as bp meds till I found Diltiazem which I can say side effects free. Maybe my depression/anxiety in environmental, and has nothing to do with Diltiazem.
So what's your current med regime?
Good luck

Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I am disappointed after seeing my doctor today. Nothing is being done as far as helping me attain better blood pressure control for now.
I think that most doctors, including so-called Cardiologists, don't really know how to get their patient's blood pressure down to healthy levels, other than shoving a bunch of meds at their patients and hoping that the combination does something.

This makes sense, right? Doctors don't have any practical experience at getting their patients blood pressure down to healthy levels. They just don't. They take their patient's blood pressure once in a blue moon, usually during the earlier part of the day when almost everyone's blood pressure is usually lower anyway.

Quote:
I feel that it is of utmost importance to get my blood pressure to healthier levels by making adjustments to my drug regimen. The problem seems to be determining what my blood pressure goal should be, what drugs should be used to achieve it, and the fact that the doctors offices close for the holidays.
I agree with your statement. Sustained high blood pressure is definitely unhealthy for everyone.

Quote:
Initially, my nephrologist wanted to see 110/70 readings. I was treated to well bellow this goal. Too low, as it turned out. I am told that very low blood pressure (as mine was) causes kidney failure in some people. So, for now, all I can do is hope that it will not spike too much in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, I will get some help then.

flowergirl
How low was too low? How long was your blood pressure at those levels?

My blood pressure can get very low, especially in the morning, but, as it rises during the day it comes up to higher levels, like around 120/70+.

Low blood pressure with a strong heartbeat is healthy, IMHO, and low blood pressure with a weak heartbeat is unhealthy.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-18-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Flowergirl,

How low was your BP when they decided to increase it??

Where you really having renal problems??

My BP is the the range 95/60 every morning, sometimes even lower.

I have discussed the kidney issue several times with my cardiologist ... hes answer is always the same .. "as long as you urinate normally and your serum creatinine is OK, there is no problem with the kidneys". They check my creatinine every 4 months.

Jesus

Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Quote:
How low was your BP when they decided to increase it??
My blood pressure was too low for me. These levels may be perfectly fine for other people. Unfortunately, my kidneys are damaged from hypertension so blood pressure management may be more tricky. I knew I was having symptoms of low blood pressure and felt sick all the time.
Going to bed with readings 80/52 and feeling unwell, I often wondered if I would wake up the following morning. This went on for months and months. I kept thinking that all I needed was a simple adjustment to my medications. Our blood pressure fluctuates as we go about our day and especially during visits to doctor's offices. My blood pressure readings during office visits may have been low at times but still ok. This is why nothing was done, in spite of my complaints. I remember talking to a diabetic nurse in the hospital once about my concerns regarding my low blood pressure on medication. She said the doctors do this in certain situations and to talk to my nephrologist.

My blood pressure readings were in the range of 80s over 50-60s, and my pulse was quite low, too, of course, often below 60.

Quote:
Where you really having renal problems??
Yes. My kidney function started to decline rapidly and consistently for no apparent reason. This is when everyone took notice. All but the most essential medications were stopped and an instant improvement in kidney function was seen. I have been able to regain most of the lost kidney function at the expense of having less than ideal blood pressure.

Quote:
My BP is the the range 95/60 every morning, sometimes even lower.
You should share this information with your doctor. We are all different and have different medical issues...so this blood pressure level may be fine for you.

Quote:
I have discussed the kidney issue several times with my cardiologist ... hes answer is always the same .. "as long as you urinate normally and your serum creatinine is OK, there is no problem with the kidneys". They check my creatinine every 4 months.
He seems to be on top of things......good for you!

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Closed Thread