It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

katebet HB User
Recent hypertension - scared!!

Hi,

In the past few weeks I've been diagnosed with hypertension (between 150/110 and 170/116). I'm 36, don't smoke, am a little overweight (working on that), and drink rarely and lightly (e.g. about 1-2 a week if that).

I'm scared...I know about the risks of hypertension, but what my doctor believes is that if I go off the pill (was on it only because my menstrual cycle was so out of whack) everything will be alright. I've been off the pill for over a week and there's been no change in blood pressure.

I have to wait another two weeks to have a 24 hour BP intermittent blood pressure test, but I'm worried that something could happen before then.

My vision is a little blurry, I'm tired all the time, I have a strange pain behind one of my eyes, and I'm forgetting things that I normally remember (names, repeating things that I've just said to people), forgetting words). I don't want to get crazy and assume all this is due to hypertension, but, well - what if it is?

I hate this - I went to the doctor because I thought I had a sinus infection and this is what I found out instead.

How do other people cope with the concerns/stress?

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Recent hypertension - scared!!

Hi,

I'm sorry about your recent experience with high bp, first of all what pill are you talking about? birth control?

Your readings are high but it will only affect your body on the long-term. So you can investigate the reasons behind it, if any exist. There are alot of things you can do about it, you need to stop drinking because alcohol is really bad for bp.

So your dr don't want put you on a med for high bp? I can say he's a good dr because he wants to know if your pill, which I don't know what it is, might be the reason.

You have all the reason to be worry, most of us were worry alot until we got our bp under control. I remember sometimes when my bp was 150/100 I thought I'm going to die lol, but when I read more about bp and that this reading will not do damage until 5 years at least. I felt better, and you have to know that you will get it under control so don't worry.
Good luck

Last edited by cartner; 12-19-2010 at 05:35 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
katebet (12-20-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Go back to the doctor with those symptoms, I do not think are BP related.
In most of the cases, with the BP that you indicate, people do not have any symptom.

So, be sure that the dr. agrees that those are because BP or he find a real cause for them.

If he does not give you proper answers, I would try with a neurologist.

Jesus

The Following User Says Thank You to jeda For This Useful Post:
katebet (12-20-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

My symptoms are dizziness especially when I stand up, vision problems, breathless and confusion. Those are my high bp symptoms. I guess it's different from one person to another, and anxiety plays a great role.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

I agree I don't think your symptoms are related to your bp. I think they are just anxiety symptoms due to your shock in finding out you have hbp. You didn't have the symptoms before you knew you had hbp, you said you went to the doc with a sinus problem. The dizziness, forgetfullness, fatigue, are all classic anxiety symptoms. Also you could be having these symptoms due to withdrawel from the birth control pills. Going off birth control pills caused my anxiety to spike so much and then of course my bp started spiking so my anxiety got worse, vicious cycle, and I had flushing and terribly anxiety and depression. I actually had to go back on them even though my husband had a vascetomy because I could not stand the symptoms, the birth control pills stabilize my hormones it seems. I am 37 so we are the same age, I think hormones play a big role in anxiety and bp which also feed off of each other like a vicious cycle.
Ivy

Last edited by Ms_T; 12-19-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_T For This Useful Post:
katebet (12-20-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
My symptoms are dizziness especially when I stand up, vision problems, breathless and confusion. Those are my high bp symptoms. I guess it's different from one person to another, and anxiety plays a great role.
Are you sure that's not your medication causing those symptoms?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes I'm sure it's not the medication, it only happens when I'm off med.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
(female)

katebet HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I did actually have dizziness and some memory issues before I found out about the Hypertension, but I'll ask my doctor about it

I think I just wanted to know whether I should be going on medication now as a lot of the stuff I've read says a definite yes. I've been very reassured not to worry too much by your responses.

Much appreciated,

Kate

Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Kate,

Yes don't worry that much about it, your bp isn't 220/120 or something like that. You need to take medication, and watch out for side effects. If your med is causing side effects go back to your dr, and ask him/her to change the med. Don't worry you will find a med that your body can live with
Good luck
Mike

Closed Thread