It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
should beta blockers are taken at night or morning?

Like Bisoprolol 5 mg, I heard that it SHOULD be taken in the morning on empty stomach only so it can be absorped by the body. Is that true? and it's not recommended to be taken after dinner?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: should beta blockers are taken at night or morning?

I can only speak about my magnificent, wonderdrug, Coreg. I take this wonderful, curing medication twice a day because it works better at twice a day rather than once a day.

For a long time, I took Coreg once a day, instead of twice, and it worked almost as good when taken just one a day, in the morning; sometimes before eating, sometimes after eating.

I've taken it on an empty stomach and on a full stomach, and it keeps doing it's amazing work day after day, week after week!

Others may have experienced different experiences.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi my friend,
So you are saying that it doesn't make any difference taken day or night. That's good news

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

That is NOT what I am saying. It's not necessarily good news for you. I am saying that, in my case, I have not noticed any difference in when I take my beloved Coreg. That is strictly anecdotal.

Since I have no medical training, education or experience, I have no idea how beta blockers, or any other medication, effects anyone else.

Buts...... I wish you luck.

Have a nice day!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

No I will not take a BB again , I'm just asking for my own knowledge only!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

I think this apply to any medicament...

You should look for the pharmakinetics properties of the active principle and see what the half-life duration is.

Also check if there is accumulation effects.

Then you look for the desired effect and see what is the moment that the symptom that you want to control is higher... in the case of Coreg (carvedilol) the half-life is about 10 hours and in the case that you want to use it to decrease the BP, the peeks in BP (due circadian cycles) is at about 1-2 hours before sun rise, therefore if you take a single doses better take it on the evening to cover the HBP hours ... but then you will not be properly covered the rest of the day ... therefore you need to take twice a day.

Now, where to find that information for the medicaments? I go the the archives of the FDA or the European Medicines Agencies or the Spanish Agency for medicaments. In the documentation that labs have to submit to get the approval for distribution of the medicament, this information and many others, are gave.

Jesus

Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, that's helpful man

Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
Now, where to find that information for the medicaments? I go the the archives of the FDA or the European Medicines Agencies or the Spanish Agency for medicaments.

How nice to know that other people follow European Journals as well! There is a lot of good information there. I find comparing their treatment guidelines to ours very interesting, and enjoy reading articles about cardiology, drugs and various studies. Many articles and studies are available at no cost.

Taking a beta blocker at night will keep many people awake through the night. I had to stop this practice for the same reason in the past. Some beta blockers need to be taken twice daily. This may be why our doctors have us take the pill in the morning and in the evening. It pays to be on a longer-active beta blocker, IMHO.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
(male)

FG,

I should be the lucky one, you are right , BB may give sleep problems, but I take my second carvedilol dose at dinner and I sleep 7 hours in a row without any problem.

During the first month I needed sleep pills but after that no problem.

Jesus

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

jrueda,

Quote:
but I take my second carvedilol dose at dinner and I sleep 7 hours in a row without any problem.
good to know! I really appreciate you sharing this. I had insomnia with my previous beta blocker, Labetalol. This was quite a while ago. Our bodies and drug tolerance change with time. I once read that because a drug proved itself intolerable does not mean one should never try it again in the future. Too many factors effect how a drug makes us feel, including drug interactions. A drug that seemed intolerable in the past may be perfectly ok right now.

FG

Old 12-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes flowergirl, it happened to me before. I remember 8 years ago when I drank a cup of coffee my blood pressure spike to 160/100, although I was on Bisoprolol. 3-4 years later I tried drinking coffee again, and my bp didn't spike at all.
I consider coffee as a drug

Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
(male)

OH Cartner,

You have waked up my lovely memories about delicious Turkish (Greek) coffees in warm nights in El Cairo. There I learn a sort of Arab or Egyptian proverb:

Coffee should be:

"Hot like the Hell, Black like the Night and Sweet like the Love"

And after enjoining it, they read your future in the coffee cup.

Jesus

Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

:d never heard of that proverb before, but yea coffee here tastes different.
I'm glad you have enjoyed the coffee here, about the future thing: of course it's fun but it's only that

Closed Thread