It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User
BB dosages

what is the teeny tiniest dose of beta blocker i can take?? without splitting pills and pills...doc said 25 mg metoprolol...is there anything less than that? like what people use for stage fright? wondering if i just took 1 of those a day instead.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: BB dosages

Is your pressure going up? If it is going up you need to be on it everyday

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I would say 2.5 mg Bisoprolol is effective if you combine it with a low dose of another drug class like CCB or better ARB.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
(male)

no it's not going up...although i haven't been checking it. still trying to figure out a way to treat the anxiety...my BP will be anywhere between 115/50 - 150/80s during they day depending on my stress levels, anxiety, etc. that doesn't bother me so much anymore...just want to get rid of this anxiety "about" the BP. i should just suck it up and take the SSRI...but wondering if a tiny BB every day with a small amount of the ACE would be a perfect combo...or just BB by itself...

not sure why i'm trying to use BP meds to treat anxiety and OCD...i think it's because i already take BP meds and don't want to add to the list...so if i can just take 1 pill that treats both...i'd prefer that.

maybe i'll check out the bisoprolol.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Man,

if your bp drops lower than 115/70 you will not function properly during the day. I advice you to treat your anxiety/OCD, and forget about adding more bp meds. You need to believe you got it under control. and bb causes ED for many men, you wouldn't like it if you are married.

SSRI? I have tried prozac and effexor, both gave me nasty side effects but prozac was a fun experience though . I also have anxiety/OCD but I'm fine without any drugs. I like supplements, you might want try Ashwagandha. Read and research about it anyway.
Good luck

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Mine was 113/73 today and I felt pretty good! It's since gone up to 121/84. I am sure the bottom number will continue to rise a bit. I am wondering if bb or a CCB would help that number more

Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

You want add a CCB or a BB because your reading is 121/84?
I really advice you against that
Your bp is just awesome, great job.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
(male)

thanks cartner...sometimes i think you guys are the only ones who understand...it does drop that low...at least the bottom #...50/60s...but i can never "show" that to a doc...or even a grocery store machine for that matter. only when i'm relaxed...and that is generally just at home...this is what i need to do:

1) BELIEVE it is controlled...like you say...act like it is and it will be

2) BE OK with a high reading...a 150/90 gets me so down and depressed... seriously...it's crazy how upset i get with a 150/80...can't eat, can't function, can't stop thinking about it...but i've gotten better. last doc appt was 150/80 pulse 86 under severe panic and i haven't checked it since...it's been 2 weeks...i think that's why i'm a little worked up...i want to SEE that it's back down...but i know it was 10 secs after that appt. but as with exposure therapy i'm starting to realize that a panic attack induced high reading for me isn't going to kill me...and that's what i need to do. sometimes i think i should go to groc store every day...induce a panic attack and check it...every day...until the anxiety subsides...but that's old school cognitive therapy...today they teach you to relabel, reattribute, redirect, revalue, etc...there has to be a way out of this daily whitecoats i live in.

i just need to change my thought process about the whole thing...just hard when you've been thinking 1 way for so long...i tried zoloft for a few months last year...but started getting great readings and said "hell i don't need this stuff...my BP is fine"...but maybe i do.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Man you don't need to prove anything to your dr, he's not "your heart" . If you get good readings at home then you are doing very well. I remember that I spent years with bp anxiety and OCD, I used to go to ER alot with readings like 150\100 lol.

When you understand how our bodies work, your anxiety will disappear . Even if your bp is 140/90 for 10 years you are fine. The most important thing is that you keep a healthy lifestyle.
What I did after understanding how my body works, and getting a hold of my bp med, I stopped taking my bp 100 times a day lol. I only took it once every few days or even a week.
Anxiety is a serious stupid condition , for me it's worse than bp. Dr.Weil has a cd called master key to self healing, it's guided breathing exercises CD that will help you alot but you have to do it daily and be patient.

It's not healthy to have a diastolic readings of 60/50, you should stop thinking about adding more bp meds pleaseeeeeeeeee .
Man there are many people who spent 20 years with readings higher than 150/110 and they started (after 20 years) medication and now they are fine. My father along with his brother and my uncle (my mother's brother) are all like that, all started medications very late (around 38 years old) and all had readings like 160/110 or 150/100 for 20 years before medications.
I guess heart conditions don't run in the family, that's why they are fine now.
Is one of your parents have a heart condition?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
(male)

no my parents are both extremely healthy. mom takes BP meds...but didn't start until her 60s...she's very skinny, eats well, athletic...doesn't smoke. her dad died of an anuerysm at 48...so i guess that's what concerns me. but he wasn't taking any meds i don't think. so i think there is some genetic BP and anxiety/depression...but no heart issues. i've used the breatheasy cds for the past year...they are pretty good and sometimes i even fall asleep. i do an ok job at relaxing myself with breathing and mostly exercise...it's just the obsessive THOUGHTS that i am having trouble changing.

i used to check BP 100 times a day too...threw machine out in sept and hasn't seemed to help that much. i think i need to go back to checking it once a week...but not abusing it...or letting a high reading freak me out.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

So your parents are both healthy and I think you are a health freak , really there is no reason to panic. Your readings are awesome most of the time. You might want try brainsync, it's extra relaxing and for me it has a greater effect than xanax.

You can take your bp once daily for now, take it in the PM after you come back from work. I think there is nothing you should be worry about. You might consider taking fish oil too, take 6 grams or so daily.
Good luck and merry christmas

Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
(male)

wow...this brainsync site is full of stuff...what do you use? i've always wondered about biofeedback.

i do take 1 fish oil a day...1000mg i think. do you really think alcohol could play a role in all of this? it's my one vice...not all that often...but when i really need a stress reliever and nothing else works...i go for the bottle. always wondered how much healthier/less anxious i'd be if i didn't drink for a year...or even a month...but can never seem to quit that long...just like to party too much. and my neighbors, friends, family don't help.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinete For This Useful Post:
B48 (01-25-2011)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Alcohol is really bad for pretty much everything, it ruins your body. If I were you I would have stopped drinking, throw the bottle lol.

BrainSync, I used few tracks. Deep learning, first track only the second is wierd. Deep Relaxation is nice too .

1 fish oil softgel? so we can say you are not taking at all . the recommended dose, as long as you are not on blood thinners, is 1,500 mg of omega 3. That's 5 1,000 mg fish oil softgel, also the brand plays an important role. Get Carlson Salmon Oil, Now Foods, or Jarrow Formulas.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Hi Wolverinete,
Not sure if you read my reply to your other thread, I never heard back from you on that. Basically what I was thinking was that you keep saying it is the anxiety you are trying to control not so much the bp and I agree. I have suffered from anxiety both general and health most of my life with of course the ocd and I can tell you your fear is the fear of the anxiety more than anything. You know in your logical mind that your bp is controlled except for your anxiety spikes which are normal. What you hate and dread is the anxiety attached to your bp right now. Your anxiety has escalated because you are trying so hard to control it that your are overdoing it. You are thinking in extremes, I have to check 100 times a day or never and that is not realistic. If I tried to stop checking completely right now it would send me into a tailspin, instead I just forced myself to wean off the checking. You have gone cold turkey and you are wondering why you are worked up....what gives me some peace is I know at some point I will be able to check but not before my acceptable time, which right now is a month. Just knowing I can check but don't have to makes it so much easier and now I am even working on not caring so much, I think that is a gradual response to not checking so much (I didn't say not at all). I know and understand what you are trying to do which is completely stop checking with the idea that you will beat this out of yourself but I don't know it just seems to be making it worse and giving you very little peace. So sorry you are going through this, I know how hard it is...I want to check right now but I have told myself I have to wait until after the holidays....
Ivy

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
(male)

hey there...yeah i did see your post...sorry for not responding. you are right...it is the anxiety about the anxiety...fear of the fear. BUT...the fact that my doc keeps increasing my meds does seem to reinforce to me that there is a BP problem as well...granted, he barely tweaks my dose here and there...and is not at all worried. the one time i went out and bought a monitor and checked it really helped...i just worry about having one in the house. but i've tried not checking since labor day and just suffering thru the high readings that i get elsewhere...and you're right...that's not helping much either. but looking back on it, i wasn't that happy checking either...then it would be "it's good at home, but not in grocery store...so what is real? i had my last checkup with doc...150/80 on dec 7...told myself on jan 7 i could go buy a monitor and check it as many times as i wanted just for 1 day...then wait another month. who knows...maybe i'll do it sooner. when i'm at home though i don't check it accurately anyway...too afraid of seeing it high...then freaking out again and starting that all over...so i'll check it on the couch or laying down before bed, etc...if i were to check it in the morning rushing out the door late for work i would hate to know what it is...so sometimes i think i shouldn't have one around the house. or just check it only when i'm relaxed. i did find this nervous symptoms "recovery" group...not sure if that's who you meant...but they meet tonight so i might go check it out.

Closed Thread