It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User
SSRI and blood pressure

anyone out here take an SSRI? considering starting one but of course the side effects listed are high BP...and well...low BP. anyone take one and have had an increase in BP? i would think that would be the a possibility because you are stimulating the nervous system or whatever...guess i could just ask my psych...figure i'll get the usual answer..."depends".

Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: SSRI and blood pressure

I tried Effexor 75mg and 150mg as well as Prozac. Aside from the horrible side effects of both, effexor 75mg did't increase my bp that much but my heart rate. 150mg gave me a heart rate of 110 all the time, and my bp spiked. prozac was not that much but about 15 points in both systolic and diastolic.

The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
Imarealpill (01-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

My doc said some can cause an increase in pressure. I think the worst side effect would be the weight gain. I took Paxil years ago and gained 15 pounds in 4 months!

The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterbye77 For This Useful Post:
Imarealpill (01-30-2011)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

for me it was weight loss, a welcome side effect. But severe dry eyes and a host of other nasty side effects.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Yeah, typical. Men lose weight, we gain.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
(male)

thanks guys...i emailed my psych...she of course said no...no concern. i have nothing to lose by trying it...better than spending every day posting to this board and worrying about my BP...at least starting living...no offense.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes but you would be worrying even more when your numbers get higher, but it's your call not ours. Good luck and keep us updated please with your progress.
I wonder if you have tried Magnesium Chelated?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
(male)

no - haven't tried that yet. tempted to go back on the cider vinegar though. i think that helped some...but as stated before...and probably for the past year...this isn't a BP problem for me...it's an OCD problem. my BP...everday is anywhere from 115 - 150/50 - 70...depending on time of day, activity...and most importantly for me...ANXIETY. i have a panic attack every time someone checks my BP...EVERY time. if i could stay calm for once, i think i would be off meds...or at least on much lower of a dose...i do think i have a tiny about of essential hypertension...but not to the extent that my anxiety magnifies it.

bottom line...i don't need to treat my heart or my BP more than i am...diet, exercise, relaxation, supplements, yoga, breathing, etc...i just need to say ****** it and forget about it...it's fine and plenty well controlled. i am just having a hard time doing this myself...tried every book i could get my hands on...fortunately it's a good problem i guess...i'm very healthy...i just need to convince myself of that...but i think i could be 6'3" 150 lbs look in the mirror and still think i am unhealthy and have uncontrolled high BP...this i think, is the "heart" of the issue and why the lexapro is needed. just really wish i could get there on my own...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes man it's anxiety/OCD problem. I came to realize that I can't live like that, what is the worst thing that can happen to me? NOTHING compared to what I had before, the panic attack life, so I got better.
Hope you try Magnesium Chelated, it's great.
Good luck

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
(male)

thanks man...yeah...i guess a stroke would be worse...but maybe not. already lived a year as a vegetable essentially anyway...funny...i know all of the answers and how silly this is...but my imagination runs the show...i think that's why i can read and read and relax and exercise and do all of this stuff...but still...something upstairs somewhere just ain't clickin. i think i keep holding off on the SSRI because i truly think this will pass...but i also wonder if another job, location, lifestyle, etc would help...i work corporate and sometimes think i need an outside/blue collar job...so i started a construction company for 3 years, lost my shirt...got even more depressed, unhealthy, etc...so that probably isn't the answer...just need to say ****** it. that's the answer.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I have enviromental depression, middle east is a horrible place. But I'm doing the best I can to have a good life, there is nothing else I can do. You might need a new life experience, to go away alone for 2 weeks in a new place. Some place that clear your mind I guess, I have tried it and it works

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
I have enviromental depression, middle east is a horrible place. But I'm doing the best I can to have a good life, there is nothing else I can do. You might need a new life experience, to go away alone for 2 weeks in a new place. Some place that clear your mind I guess, I have tried it and it works
I grew up in Izmir Turkey. I loved it but then the city was also under Martial law at the time and that was stressful.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Turkey isn't part of the middle east, yet Egypt is nothing like Iraq. We don't have people walk with AKs in the street lol, but the environment itself is killing me!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
Turkey isn't part of the middle east, yet Egypt is nothing like Iraq. We don't have people walk with AKs in the street lol, but the environment itself is killing me!!!
Turkey is part of the middle east.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
(female)

Imarealpill HB UserImarealpill HB User

I have been taking Paxil and my blood pressure has risen quite a bit. I am now taking Diovan HCT, Coreg CR, and clonidine prn. Calcium channel blockers make me feel sick and depressed.

Both of my parents had hypertension, and my father had very bad hypertension.

I also have hypothyroidism and take 137 mcg of Synthroid.

I am not sure which is the real cause of the high blood pressure, or if it's everything put together.

In any event, the Paxil really helped with my depression, so I really don't want to stop using it, I take 30 mg of it. I also take Ritalin SR for ADD and I know that is no help with regards to hypertension.

Closed Thread