It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
10mg lisinopril to 20mg

How big of a difference will that make? My average is 120/93, my doctor wants me to up my lisinopril to 20mg to lower the bottom number. But wont it lower my top number too much? In the mornings and evenings my BP is arund 108/77 sometimes. But only for an hour or so.

20mg seems like a lot, since most people I know take 2.5 and 10mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User
Re: 10mg lisinopril to 20mg

i can get mine as low as 110/50 and doc increased me from 20 mg to 30 mg. granted it was 150/80 last appt and he increased it based on that...i don't feel much different and can still get a panic induced 150/90...guarantee i could on 80mg. yeah i find it hard to believe people take 2.5mg and it works...crazy...i know heart attack patients take that little for some reason...who knows. maybe i'm on the wrong pill...or...i'm on the right pill and it does work, i am just too blind and anxious to see it. i took 20 mg for years...it's fine...anywhere you read, they say the average dose for controlling BP is 20 to 40...people with diabetes, kidney issues, heart attack only take like 2.5 to 5...i don't know why...meds have different uses. beta blockers can be used for migraines, pms, etc...lisinopril lately has been proven to actually be quite healthy for you...like a vitamin. everyone should probably take one. who knows...started lexapro today and will stop it tomorrow i am sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

But my average is 120/90 or 125/93. Right now it's 125/88. So I am a bit worried about feeling dizzy and funky. I do get spikes with acitivy such as 135/100 but it goes down back to 120/90 with rest. It's the diastolic that concerns me. It doesn't go down no mater what I take, yet the systolic goes down very eas. At night or mornings it's 108/75.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

funny...i have the opposite problem. oh hell i get dizzy every time i stand up too quickly...just figure it means my bp is low which makes me happy. what still frustrates me...and i don't know how i'll get over it, is why i have to take 30mg. i obviously am just feeling sorry for myself and no offense because i know you are healthy...but i'm guessing i'm in better shape/health...and you take less...there are 90 year old me out there who take less BP meds than i do. but again...what a crock of sh*t for me to say that...there are also 3 year olds with cancer...so this is my hand. no biggie...hard to not feel sorry for myself sometimes...but i'm really trying to be better about it.

i think i will try this lexapro...the only way i'll get off BP meds is for my doc to see it at 90/50 in his office...and only way that will happen is if i'm not having a panic attack...and only way that will happen is with anxiety meds. and if they don't work...well...i'll just take every possible pill they give me and smile that i have a job and insurance to cover it.

listen to your doc...you are asking for their help and then ignoring the suggestion. i do the same thing...it's not our jobs...my doc doesn't come to my work and tell me how to do my job. 20mg is nothing...if you get dizzy...well good...your BP is well controlled and maybe you can lower your meds.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Having taken this drug for so many years, may I suggest you ask your doc to give you 10mg tablets and then take 1 in the AM and 1 at night. I find that lisinopril doesn't work for a full 24 hours and my pressure with a single dose at bedtime, always rose in the evening after 20 hours. But by taking it twice a day, I keep a very even amount in my system and I don't get hit by a heavy single dose as it dissolves and is absorbed.

I also had a diuretic added to it but just for the AM so I'm not up at night going to the bathroom. This gives me just the little bit extra I need during the day to keep it stable despite anxiety or workload.

Even if your systolic comes down, it is the diastolic that really counts....that is the pressure of your blood in the arteries when your heart is at rest. If it is high at rest, then that is what does all the damage to your arteries. So work on the diastolic and don't work about the systolic. It will always be higher because it is your heart when it is beating, even if it is just slightly higher. The fact that your systolic is so close to your diastolic shows just how badly you need to get this under control...means your system is pushing almost as hard when your heart is a rest as when it is beating.

Jenny

Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will ask my doctor about taking 10mg in the am and 10mg in the pm.

I agree about the diastolic, it's been a concern of mine for the past year or so. I recent;y moved and my new doctor only saw me once. My pressure was 153/100 with an erratic pulse between 95-120. so he felt something was wrong and ordered an event monitor.

My pressure is not usually that high at home. Like I said it's only the diastolic that stays that high, but everytime I mention this to doctors, they ignore it. And same on message boards, everyone has a problem with the systolic, not the diastolic. So it's been difficult for me to get anyone to listen and get it under control.

When they do up my dose when I was on benicar, I was so dizzy and sick. Lisinopril has been the best so far, but natually I am afraid to up it because as usual my systolic wil come down even more but not touch my diastolic and thinking it might cause a heart attack. a BP of 100/90 or 90/90 can't be good!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinete View Post
are healthy...but i'm guessing i'm in better shape/health...and you take less...there are 90 year old me out there who take less BP meds than i do. .
lol, no offense taken and I totally understand where you are coming from. As I have always said I see obese people munching on fries and sit on the couch all day and have no hypertension what so ever! I think it's mostly bum genetics.

Closed Thread