It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
(male)

sporge HB User
Cough with BP med.

I took Lisinopril for about 2 months and have been off it for two weeks; the coughing spells are still as bad. Hard coughs and especially when I lay down at night. The spells are very sporadic and I may go awhile in between spells but when it comes...I understand it could take awhile for it to stop by no real change after stopping and I didn't have the cough before I started this med and it was very mild for the first couple of weeks. How long can it take for me to get back to normal? this is miserable. My throat feels kinda scratchy and kinda different but the doc looked at it and says it looked ok but still the cough. He said the cough was from the meds so he stopped them and said to contact him in a couple of weeks and its actually been 2 weeks and 2 days. I'm not very rested either...

Any similar stories out there? I can use any support I can get right now.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sporge
Flutterbye77 (01-11-2011), JJ (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Cough with BP med.

Hi sporge....Yup, sounds like you have the good old ACE med. cough. When they first put me on a BP med. it was Altace, another ACE med. and man, I would cough so bad tears would run down my face. Usually they say you get a dry hacking cough, but I got the extra mucous cough, it was UNREAL! My BIL got the same thing.

After I told my Dr. about it, and yes I dealt with it for months, he switched me to Atenolol, that was ok but made my pulse too slow, so they switched me to an ARB, Avapro. Unfortuneatley it is very expensive so now I am on Losartan, Cozaar generic, another ARB. No cough, but I do notice I get backaches with the ARBs. Man, you can't win!! I actually bought a back brace so I can get relief while doing household chores.

As far as how long it takes to go away, it depends on each person. Mine lasted about another month after stopping it. Naturally it wasn't as bad but it took awhile. Get on your Drs. case about switching you to something else. As soon as he knew it was the meds. he should have switched you. What is with the waiting???

Keep us posted how it goes and what the Dr. switches you too. There are plenty of meds. out there, so there has to be one or two that will control your pressure and not give too many side effects.

Best wishes, and hang in there, it does go away....JJ.....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sporge (01-11-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sporge (01-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
(male)

sporge HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Hi sporge....Yup, sounds like you have the good old ACE med. cough. When they first put me on a BP med. it was Altace, another ACE med. and man, I would cough so bad tears would run down my face. Usually they say you get a dry hacking cough, but I got the extra mucous cough, it was UNREAL! My BIL got the same thing.

After I told my Dr. about it, and yes I dealt with it for months, he switched me to Atenolol, that was ok but made my pulse too slow, so they switched me to an ARB, Avapro. Unfortuneatley it is very expensive so now I am on Losartan, Cozaar generic, another ARB. No cough, but I do notice I get backaches with the ARBs. Man, you can't win!! I actually bought a back brace so I can get relief while doing household chores.

As far as how long it takes to go away, it depends on each person. Mine lasted about another month after stopping it. Naturally it wasn't as bad but it took awhile. Get on your Drs. case about switching you to something else. As soon as he knew it was the meds. he should have switched you. What is with the waiting???

Keep us posted how it goes and what the Dr. switches you too. There are plenty of meds. out there, so there has to be one or two that will control your pressure and not give too many side effects.

Best wishes, and hang in there, it does go away....JJ.....
Thanks so much JJ...I emailed my Dr. tonight and I will just keep hanging in there and will absolutly let you know how things go...you have no idea how much youve eased my mind

Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Good for you for e-mailing him, he needs to switch you to another med. I'm glad I was able to help. Don't be surprised if you have to try 2-3 or even 4 meds. till they get it right. Another thing I noticed on Altace was swelling in my legs, happened to my hubby as well. His cough was minor, but his leg swelling was not good. We all are different, so what works for one, may not work for someone else.

Buy some cough drops and see if they help. I tried everything, but just had to wait till the fool coughing stopped on its own. I seriously thought I had a terrible case of Bronchitis that is how much phelm I would get. Man I kept the tissue people in business.....

Good luck, keep us posted, and try and get some rest....JJ.....

Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

My cough went away but I was forced to sleep with my head proped up and that seemed to help. But like you I didn't get much rest. The coughing all night everytime I laid now and waking up my husband was not good and it was embaressing.

Cough drops help a little, I bought both mentol and a lemon honey. A sip of water helped a little as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

What did they switch you to Flutter? Like I told sorge, the ARBs relieved the cough pretty much, but the lower backache is VERY annoying. My son is on Diovan and said he has a backache many times as well. Man, is there anything out there that does the trick and doesn't make you feel like 112 years old?

Hopefully sorge's cough goes soon as we both know, it can be brutal. Oh well, off to bed with me as we are expecting 20" of snow by morning, thank goodness for the back brace..I'll need it trying to shovel that mess.

Best wishes...JJ....

Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I didn't switch, it just went away. I tried ARB's first and had the mos horrific side effects. Everything to all over severe muscle pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, sick to my stomach. My doctor said it wasn't the pills. lol

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh so you are still on the Lisinopril. I tuffed it out with Altace for about 7 months but couldn't take it any longer, it kept getting worse.

Oh yes, every side effect we have is in our "minds", yet we talk to others who had the same thing on the same med......

My cough seemed to be worse during the day when I was trying to get things done. Once I started it just kept on going till I was practically out of breath. Oh well, I'll give the Losartan a chance but if the aches and pains don't subside soon I'll have to talk with the Dr. I am so sensative to meds. it is pathedic, so they run out of options.

Enjoy your day....JJ.....

Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
(male)

sporge HB User
Smile Re: Cough with BP med.

UPDATE:

Today is about 27 days since I stopped taking lisinopril and the hacking cough is all but gone. My night cough has faded away and my day cough is very minimal.
Its was a miserable experience to say the least and tomorrow I will measure my BP and email my Dr. to start some new meds. Hopefully he wont poison me again and if he does ...hes fired. I know that sounds harsh but it is what it is and its absolutely rediculous that they even prescribe that poison to their patients.

Thank you all for your support and answers during this ordeal as I really needed it.

I'll let you guys/gals know what he gives me and review the med on this forum before i begin taking it.

The following user gives a hug of support to sporge:
klsmickey (01-23-2011)
Closed Thread