It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

B48 HB User
Please help and comment. PB does spike for few days then returns to normal

I have noticed that my BP for the last few months does spike for few days to one week then return to normal.

In mid August it spiked for 2 days with readings range of between 167/109 to 143/95.

I went to the Doctor and he told me to just relax and gave me sample of Benicar 10 mg and I took one that day but not the next day when everything went back normal.

The next day, my BP was back to normal:
Range 134/79 to 110/67 and in the next 18 days the ranges were even better 109/66 plus/minus few points.

Then I quit recording for 3 months, when I felt that something was not right (By the way, I can tell when my PB is high, elevated or low!). My PB spiked again for 4 days and went back to normal for 15 days than back up again this Monday and today (Tuesday).

When my PB goes up the pulse rates are usually lower than usual. It is in the 50ís range.

I went to cardiologist who performed several tests and said youíre healthy!!

I appreciate any feedback/comments/suggestion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
(female)

runnnergirl HB User
Re: Please help and comment. PB does spike for few days then returns to normal

Here are the best explanations I have come across for the high blood pressure/low pulse rate phenomena...

-Atrial Fibrillation
-Sick Sinus Syndrome
-Strange sympathetic nervous system behavior
-You are in really good shape and have a powerful heart

From what I can find, it sounds as though it could be possible for you to experience your symptoms and have nothing really "wrong" with you.

Classic reasons for sudden spikes in blood pressure are often related to stress (even as simple as driving in traffic) some type of allergy, or when you take an NSAID like ibuprofen. What I don't know is if any of these have the ability to lower you pulse rate as well, but it might not hurt to start keeping track of the circumstances surrounding these strange high bp/low pulse rate instances occur to see if there is some type of common thread between all of them. I hope you can find the answers you seek and start feeling better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

When body temperature drops, pulse slows and blood pressure can increase to compensate. Try to notice if you are cold when you experience this phenomenon.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
(male)

B48 HB User

Runnnergirl,
It is unlikely that it’s the Atrial Fibrillation or Sick Sinus Syndrome because they would have shown on the Doppler and the other test.
I am not sure about the Strange sympathetic nervous system behavior.
As for NSAID, I used to take ibuprofen as needed but not since I noticed PB spikes. As for allergy, yes I am allergic to many things including cats, dogs, and many types of trees/grass, etc. And I am taking shots every week for almost a year now.
Related to stress, maybe. That’s what my wife suspect but I am not convinced yet!

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-20-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of previous post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
(male)

B48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
When body temperature drops, pulse slows and blood pressure can increase to compensate. Try to notice if you are cold when you experience this phenomenon.
I will. That is interesting. But does it go that high?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

It can for people who have cold induced hypertension, or for those of us who have sensitive sympathetic nervous systems. Do you have much higher blood pressure at the doctor's than you do at home?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
(male)

B48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
It can for people who have cold induced hypertension, or for those of us who have sensitive sympathetic nervous systems. Do you have much higher blood pressure at the doctor's than you do at home?
Not sure about SNS or cold induced hypertension. As for the doctor office, well, when itís high at home it certainly high at Dr. office. When the readings were normal at home, theyíre a few points higher at the Dr. office but with an acceptable range.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi B48,

I too have those spikes out of the blue and yes, when I have allergies by bp increases and when I am cold it spikes right up there. I can always tell when my bp is high or low also. I think temperature and allergies both can effect bp. Stress absolutely!!!

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
(male)

B48 HB User

Are you taking anything to lower your BP and how high it goes? I really don’t like it when it spikes from normal to mid 140’s/mid 90’s and I just started taking Benicar 10mg that the Dr. gave as a sample.
Today is my 3rd day on it and I have a mixed feeling about it.

Please let me know how you control it. It looks like we are in the same boat!
When your BP spikes, does your pulse also decreases?

Thanks,

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-20-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of previous post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi B48,

Yes I take Lisinopril and Atenolol for by BP. Why it spikes is beyond me but I have had it go very high at times 160-180/90-100. I use to let it panic me when it happened, but that only made it worse. Now when I get those spikes, I just try to keep calm and know it will return to normal soon. Somedays my spikes will last 2 days and then go completely normal again. I have also noticed that when it spikes if I eat something it will go lower. My pulse is usually low when my pressure spikes, but if I go into panic zone during a spike my pulse will also go up too.

Hope this helps a little. I still can't figure out what is causing that to happen.

Missy

Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
(male)

B48 HB User

Well, last night about 10:PM my BP started to drop to 125/85. Today it is back to normal 112/73 on average over 4 readings so far and the pulses move up a bit from 50’s to 60’s.
It puzzles me! I have not changed anything except taking 180mg Allegra for my allergy and last night was my 3rd night on Benicar 10mg. I think that I will be taking the Benicar and see, even though last time it went down without taking anything.

Other things that I noticed; when I exercise while my BP was high it won’t come down much and in a couple hrs it goes up again. But when I workout while BP is normal, it comes down and stays lower.

Wish you well & hope you figure what spikes yours…

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-20-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of previous post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Closed Thread