It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

SkipperH HB User
Cozzar how long before seeing results?

The information I read concerning Cozzar is that it may take up to 3 to 6 weeks to see the full benefits in your blood pressure readings. I've only been on it (50mg) for 4 days and I'm in the range of about 135-140 / 70-80. Question: has anyone used this drug and how long before you noticed good results? Will it bring down the Systolic number too? Thanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Cozzar how long before seeing results?

I just started Losartan...Cozzar generic..50 mgs. about 3 months ago. I am due for a checkup in a couple of weeks as I don't monitor my BP at home. Most all BP meds. take a few weeks to really show a difference, and it should bring down both numbers, high and lower. Seeing you have only been on it a few days, give it a chance. Hopefully you get good results. Your readings aren't bad, so maybe this will get it down quicker.

Best wishes....JJ.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I was on 40mg on benicar and it works the same. It took weeks to lower my numbers and when it did I couldn't breath.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
(male)

Marc46 HB UserMarc46 HB User

I have been on Cozaar for years.
Unfortunately its effectiveness is wearing off on me which is common after years on a drug.

I seem to remember it taking 6 to 8 weeks to see the full effect in me though.
My hypertension is resistant needless to say, so I ended up on the max dose of 50mg. twice a day.

Good thing with this drug was I had ZERO side effects after trying several that made me feel like garbage.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Thanks Marc, I too have been on many different HBP meds. Doc changed to Cozzar because the Benzapril dose I was on was causing erection problems, hope this Med works well for me. Systolic is still a little high, but it's only been a week.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperH View Post
Thanks Marc, I too have been on many different HBP meds. Doc changed to Cozzar because the Benzapril dose I was on was causing erection problems, hope this Med works well for me. Systolic is still a little high, but it's only been a week.
It seems like you are responding well so far.
After the period I mentioned Cozaar kept my BP at 120/80 or better for many years.

As far as ED (erection) issues on Cozaar,........absolutely none!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperH View Post
The information I read concerning Cozzar is that it may take up to 3 to 6 weeks to see the full benefits in your blood pressure readings. I've only been on it (50mg) for 4 days and I'm in the range of about 135-140 / 70-80. Question: has anyone used this drug and how long before you noticed good results? Will it bring down the Systolic number too? Thanks!

I went on this drug after Altace caused a reaction of tingling tongue, lips and nose. Coughing was bad too.

I took this drug at one-half of 50 mg for one week without problem. Then I increased to one-half in the a.m. and one-half at bedtime. I'm surposed to build up to 2 pills per day! I think that will be too much though. With one pill per day I'm at 116/85 or 117/84. I bought a good monitor and check it several times per day.

The problem is that I immediately noticed an irregular heartbeat when I increased to one tablet per day. just feels like something off in my heartbeat. I"m emailing my M.D. about it. I really hate it. Will it go away?

Last edited by Kendra01; 01-24-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra01 View Post
I went on this drug after Altace caused a reaction of tingling tongue, lips and nose. Coughing was bad too.

I took this drug at one-half of 50 mg for one week without problem. Then I increased to one-half in the a.m. and one-half at bedtime. I'm surposed to build up to 2 pills per day! I think that will be too much though. With one pill per day I'm at 116/85 or 117/84. I bought a good monitor and check it several times per day.

The problem is that I immediately noticed an irregular heartbeat when I increased to one tablet per day. just feels like something off in my heartbeat. I"m emailing my M.D. about it. I really hate it. Will it go away?
As you may have read in my other post I am on 50mg twice a day for years.
I personally have never experienced any problems with Cozaar.

Just an idea for you though.
Often when your blood pressure is first reduced you will notice things like skipped beats and the like that you couldn't really sense before when your BP was higher.

As long as you are not having any dangerous arrhythmias you will be fine.
Definitely check with your doc though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marc46 For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc46 View Post
As you may have read in my other post I am on 50mg twice a day for years.
I personally have never experienced any problems with Cozaar.

Just an idea for you though.
Often when your blood pressure is first reduced you will notice things like skipped beats and the like that you couldn't really sense before when your BP was higher.

As long as you are not having any dangerous arrhythmias you will be fine.
Definitely check with your doc though.

Thanks a lot. I sent an email to my doctor and he told me to go back to taking one-half of the 50 mg per day for now. We'll see how that works.

I didn't realize that about the reduced BP.

Do you get any nausea? I did a little. I think I've lost most of my appetite too, though that doesn't bother me. LOL

Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
(male)

Kendra,....many BP meds will cause nausea, headache, dizziness and all that fun stuff when they are new to you.

I don't recall that issue with Cozaar. Maybe a little lightheaded for a few days, but I think that was it.

I imagine your nausea will depart within a short period of time IF it even has anything to do with the drug itself.

Don't drive yourself nuts with reading side-effect literature BTW,.....your mind will create them! )

You are best to just go about your life when starting a new med. IF you notice something serious call your doc or head to the ER. With Cozaar I would find that highly unlikely unless it was an allergic reaction that can happen with anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marc46 For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I was on 40mg on benicar and it works the same. It took weeks to lower my numbers and when it did I couldn't breath.

OMG. What did you do?

I could hardly sleep last night because of the coughing. I thought I was done with that when I switced from Atlace to Losarten (Cozaar). This cough is terrible. My throat is still stinging today. I guess all ACE Inhibitors do this.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Kendra....Losartan isn't an ACE, it is an ARB. I use to take Altace years ago and the cough was unreal, plus I had on and off swelling in my legs especially the left one. They put me on Atenolol which seemed fine but it lowered my pulse rate too much, and I was on a small doseage...25mgs. then 50 after a few months. I have read where there can be a cough with the ARBs as well but usually not half as bad as the Ace drugs. Maybe the ACE drug hasn't left your system just yet, give it some time.

After the Atenolol experience they switched me to Avapro, another ARB and it worked fine but the price was out of orbit so now they put me on Losartan, as it finally went generic in April of 2010. Only thing I noticed with both Avapro and Losartan is a lousy lower back pain, and to be honest, it's worse on the Losartan. I have a check up coming soon and going to speak to the Dr. but I am so sensative to meds. she has a very hard time finding stuff that agrees with me. Hubby has been on Losartan for a couple of years and so far, so good with him. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

Hang in there, as most of the time the side effects do go....JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Kendra....Losartan isn't an ACE, it is an ARB. I use to take Altace years ago and the cough was unreal, plus I had on and off swelling in my legs especially the left one. They put me on Atenolol which seemed fine but it lowered my pulse rate too much, and I was on a small doseage...25mgs. then 50 after a few months. I have read where there can be a cough with the ARBs as well but usually not half as bad as the Ace drugs. Maybe the ACE drug hasn't left your system just yet, give it some time.

After the Atenolol experience they switched me to Avapro, another ARB and it worked fine but the price was out of orbit so now they put me on Losartan, as it finally went generic in April of 2010. Only thing I noticed with both Avapro and Losartan is a lousy lower back pain, and to be honest, it's worse on the Losartan. I have a check up coming soon and going to speak to the Dr. but I am so sensative to meds. she has a very hard time finding stuff that agrees with me. Hubby has been on Losartan for a couple of years and so far, so good with him. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

Hang in there, as most of the time the side effects do go....JJ....
Thank for all that info. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have a difficult time finding one that works for me too. I coughed so much Monday night, that I got little sleep, so I"m planning to take it in the a.m. instead of at night. I have also noticed my left foot is kind of numb in the morning. And I'm getting sharp pains in my wrist that go into my hands and some in my ankles. Odd. It's not unbearable though. I just want the coughing to stop. I hope it's from the Altace still in my body, but I read online that Losarten can also cause coughing. Oh well.

I guess they are side effects as I didn't get them until starting this drug. I hope they subside over time.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hear ya, my Dr. is almost out of options for me. The coughing is brutal if it is anything like I had with Altace, man I coughed till tears ran down my face, and I took it in the morning. It's tough being so sensative to meds.

Oh well, like you I am going to wait till this script is finished and if the pains and aches don't stop the Dr. is going to have to either shove me back on Avapro....there goes my $$$$$, or find something else.

Good luck, hope the coughing stops soon....JJ....

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
(female)

Good luck! Just curious. What is your BP running when on the meds?

Closed Thread