It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
High Blood pressure only during period

I have recently been taken off BP medication. My average BP is from 106/68 - 115/74. My blood pressure increased greatly after giving birth each time and I have been on a roller coaster ever since. I have a history of some massively high numbers. highest was 190/110 one time. But the average spike is 160/100.

We have discovered my BP spikes before and during each period. I asked my doctor what we can do about it and he gave it a name because my hair was falling out also. He said he could give me a diuretic during that time of month but didn't feel it was a concern.

I have researched his online and found very little info except posts by other women having the same issues as me. Do I have to wait for menopause for this madness to stop?

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 01-20-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Re: High Blood pressure only during period

Hi Flutter,
This was very similar to what started me on the bp spike rollercoaster. I would get spikes at various times of the month usually mid cycle. I would feel increased anxiety too during this time, not sure if seeing the high numbers caused the spikes or vice versa. Anyway, I too went to my doctor and explained the correlation to my cycle and they just don't seem to get it or acknowledge it in anyway. The only answer I received from my doc was that my body was reacting to my hormonal changes during the month and that the best thing to do was to put me on a low dose bc pill to "stabilize" my hormones. I will say this it worked, I don't have the same level of bp spiking anymore or the huge anxiety fluctuations. I hated going back on the pill though since my husband had a vascetomy and it seemed stupid but it was that or bp meds or anti-depressants/anxiety meds. I am a firm believer that hormones play a huge role in bp, I too had high bp spikes at my first and only daughter ( I was 22 at the time and it quickly came down so the docs weren't concerned).
I don't know why there isn't any concrete info about this because women are talking about it a lot but nothing backs it up.....

Hang in there, you are doing great.
Ivy

Last edited by Ms_T; 01-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread