It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Cutting 10mh hct lisinopril in half

I was wondering if it would be safe to cut my lisinopril in half. My pressure has been low to stable but today I noticed I got 120/90 and 115/88, last night I got a random 140/100 but it went down quickly to 108/77. Anyone who has read my history knows my BP can spike or tends to rise. I am afraid to take a full 10mg because I think it might make it too low. I was thinking maybe cutting it in half but there is a diuretic mixed in with it and was told those are not as easy to halve.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Cutting 10mh hct lisinopril in half

I thought the doc took you off of meds?

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

He did. I still have 3 months of Lisinopril. My BP today is between 118/75 - 120/90. I don't think it would hurt if i took 5mg. I think 10mg would put me too low. I have a history of massive HBP spikes. I don't mess around with it.

Lisinopril is pretty strong, a little really knocks down my pressure. I think 10mg might be too much.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Blood pressure medication is not meant to be taken that way. Possibly a beta blocker can be used as needed but not an ACE. Your doctor took you off meds...I would try to relax. You're pressure is good and we all have a lot of variation. You are not sustaining at high numbers.

Also, BP meds tend to work more the higher your pressure is. Many normotensives get little or no effect from bp meds. I doubt your pressure would go to low either way if you took a pill...but I wouldn't take it anyway and listen to the advice of your family friend (doctor).

Last edited by soflsun; 02-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

He did tell me these have more of a cumulative effect, but the first day I took lisinopril my pressure dropped within 3 hours. It was wonderful! I was on benicar and that took months to really start to lower my numbers, I hated that stuff.

I see him on friday morning. I just worry when I see 90 at the bottom and last night I got 100 at the bottom but it went down. I personaly feel I should be on something.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

I understand how you feel, but your not in any danger. I would just wait until you see the doc, maybe by then everything will be back to normal. Remember, we all have good days and bad days...usually for no apparent reason.

Did you ever get a cough or other side effects from the lisinopril? How much did it reduce your pressure in the past? Literature says it loses its effect toward the 24 hour mark.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

You should either wait until Friday or call yur doc before taking anything. If I rcall he took you off because you were dropping too low.

Pup

Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did get an irritating tickle in the back of my throat and I would have to cough. Sometimes it got so bad I couldn't sleep at night because I would cough to scratch my throat. I also got short of breath on the lisinopril after 3 months, I did as well on benicar with very little activity. So that's an ARB and a ACE that had that side effect on me. Both also would make my pulse race at random times.

I feel I do need something, my BP has been very unpredicatble since I gave birth. I remember they had a hard time getting my pressure down then I went a year with no meds and my BP was fine, one day I had a horrible headache and nausious and my bp was 180/110! lol

So I don't trust these low readings I am getting

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 02-02-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I have to agree with the other posters, I wouldn't take the chance and cut it or even take any meds. Some meds are definately not meant to be cut. You only have 2 days till you see the Dr....wait it out, you BP is not that bad. If you really are worried, call either your pharmacist or your Dr. and ask before doing anything. JMHO

You said the bottom number went down quickly so maybe you were just anxious or something. Good luck...JJ

Closed Thread