It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Dry eyes and blurred vision from medication?

Hi,

I have been having "severe" dey eyes and blurred vision for along time, I have been told that it's caused by my Cardiazem SR 180mg. Can this be it?
I'm thinking about switching to Zebeta 2.5mg, does anybody know if it will cause the same problem

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
(male)

Marc46 HB UserMarc46 HB User
Re: Dry eyes and blurred vision from medication?

I don't know about the drug you mention as I have never taken it, but I know Coreg can cause the dry eye thing.

I went off it and switched to Bystolic. The eyes are back to normal again.

Many BP meds can cause weird vision anomalies due to the 'light-headed' feelings they can create.

Just keep switching meds until you find one that bothers you the least. Bad part is even when you find one that works with few side effects, often you will build up a tolerance to that med over time and it won't do the job anymore.

Hypertension is a never ending issue with many of us it seems. Some folks are lucky and take the same med for life with no problems but they are the exception IMHO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your post, I have been very depressed for a long time because of that dry eyes issue. It's keeping me from working
I'm going back to Zebeta, Bisoprolol, but this time I will take a baby dose and try to work on my diet. Only 2.5 mg!!
Mike

Last edited by cartner; 02-11-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Cartner! I saw your name pop up and I have to say Hello. I have not seen you in quite some time, I hope things are better for you now.

I have also suffered with eye issues related to BP. In my case, I was just at my 3 month eye appointment, when my doctor mentioned a problem. It seems that there is a duct that secretes an oily film that mixes with the tears to keep the eyeball from drying out. In my case he said mine was in more of a butter form, than an oily one. It can be caused by the medication.

He gave me a routine of massaging my eyelids twice every day to get the fluid to liquefy, in addition to using tear drops in each eye throughout the day. I am scheduled to go back next week to see if my new regime works. Otherwise. further medication will be needed to avoid further damage to my eyes, up to blindness!

My severe blood pressure that led to 4 strokes had caused strokes on my retina, cotton wool spots and other related problems. Apparently this is another effect of the BP.l So it keeps on going!

I just got my new prescription bifocals the other day, and boy do I see things I had lost.

Great to see you Cartner! I hope this new regimen works out better for you

Janet

Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Janet,

I'm so sorry to hear about that, hope you will get better soon. I'm scared that my severe dry eyes could have caused damage, but last month my dr said that my eyes are fine. I will go see her again though, just to make sure everything is ok.

How high is your blood pressure? I'm weaning off Diliazem SR 90 twice daily, my bp is 144/97 this morning. I guess I need to do a major lifestyle modifications. I'm going to switch to Bisoprolol 2.5mg daily, starting from tomorrow!

I, too, use eye drops and gel at night but all this is useless so far .
Mike

Closed Thread