It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
(male)

Winskins HB User
Blood pressure meds+dizziness

Hello,
Question, I have been taking meds for high blood pressure, used to take benicar hct 40/12.5 and now taking cardizem cd 180.I originally switched from benicar as it was dropping BP too much. Cardizem does not seem to lower the blood pressure as good as benicar. Both make me really Dizzy, especially at night. Had anyone experienced this ongoing dizziness with either med?

Can you take half a pill twice a day as opposed to one in the am?

Thanks!

Last edited by Winskins; 02-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Blood pressure meds+dizziness

I was on 40mg 12.5 Benicar and it just made my BP normal and borderline high. I too had bad side effecs from it like you.

I took 10mg lisinopril and my BP dropped like a rock within 3 hours. I had no side effects from it. If your pressure is too low on 40mg Benicar, I bet you could probably take 5mg Lisinopril.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
(male)

Winskins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I was on 40mg 12.5 Benicar and it just made my BP normal and borderline high. I too had bad side effecs from it like you.

I took 10mg lisinopril and my BP dropped like a rock within 3 hours. I had no side effects from it. If your pressure is too low on 40mg Benicar, I bet you could probably take 5mg Lisinopril.
Thanks, I will talk to the dr. The benicar really works, but with my excersise and the amount of water I drink it can make my bp crash..no fun. I am trying cardizem, but it does not lower the bp as well and also makes me dizzy. Does the lisinopril have a good track record for no dizzy side effects? Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I never got dizzy on Lisinopril. My blood pressure started to get too low and I went off it. Lisinopril seems really strong to me.

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 02-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
(male)

s0c9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winskins View Post
Thanks, I will talk to the dr. The benicar really works, but with my excersise and the amount of water I drink it can make my bp crash..no fun. I am trying cardizem, but it does not lower the bp as well and also makes me dizzy. Does the lisinopril have a good track record for no dizzy side effects? Thanks again!
You could try a reduced Benicar dose (20mg) - which is what I'm taking. I only get dizzy if I stand up quickly.. and it keeps my bp normal. I will be moving to Diovan in the next week - being forced to by my health plan - once my Benicar runs out!

PS: Do not cut Benicar in half and take twice. I made that mistake when bumping up to 40mg and cutting in 1/2. Same price as 20mg - would last twice as long (or so I thought) and save $$. They are time-release and cutting them in 1/2 caused me all sorts of BP fluctuations, made me feel like crap. Doc should have know about that when I asked if it was OK to increase dose and cut in 1/2.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
(male)

Winskins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0c9 View Post
You could try a reduced Benicar dose (20mg) - which is what I'm taking. I only get dizzy if I stand up quickly.. and it keeps my bp normal. I will be moving to Diovan in the next week - being forced to by my health plan - once my Benicar runs out!

PS: Do not cut Benicar in half and take twice. I made that mistake when bumping up to 40mg and cutting in 1/2. Same price as 20mg - would last twice as long (or so I thought) and save $$. They are time-release and cutting them in 1/2 caused me all sorts of BP fluctuations, made me feel like crap. Doc should have know about that when I asked if it was OK to increase dose and cut in 1/2.
Thanks and good luck! I too had to change medications, I was doing fine on Hyzaar with no issues and insurance changed that. I am not sure if the dizziness is making me feel like a have a constant sinus infection, but this dizziness is really making it hard to function.

Closed Thread