It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

karena67 HB User
Megadose vitamins to lower blood pressure?

i was diagnosed with a vit d level of 8, it should be between 32-100 so i am very low, i was put on megadoses of vit d 50,000 ui daily, i tried this for 6 days and got too sick from the megadose so dr put me on 50,000 ui once per week, i waited about a month to let some of the daily regimen clear out of my system before starting the weekly dosage. after week 4 or 5 of weekly dosage i got really sick and ended up in the hospital, in Feb 2010 i was diagnosed with hypertention, i started taking hydrochlorathiazide 25 mg 1x daily, reduced stress on my own and cut down sodium intake drastically, my pressure was always in the good range 120/80 everyday for a yr, until megadosing with vit d prescribed by my dr..my blood pressure began dropping pretty low, in feb 2011 it was going as low as 90/50, i began blacking out and ended up in the hospital, they monitored my level for a few nights then sent me home with 800ui vit d daily and took me off high blood pressure meds, i continue to tell them that even though they know medicine i know my body and the vitamin D is what is making my blood pressure too low, i tried an experiment myself 2 months ago by not aking the vitamin D to monitor my own bp..it went back to normal range, when i started back taking the vitamin D it dropped really low again, so YES Vitamin D did lower my BP and maybe a lower dosage could lower others as well but drs will fight you tooth & nail that it doesn't because there has been no research done on it as of today..of course they wouldn't want ppl to know that something as simple as a viatamin could lower bp, imagine what that would do to all the money being made selling us the bp meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Megadose vitamins to lower blood pressure?

Unfortunately, this will not work for everyone - even those who are Vit D deficient!

I was vit d deficient (25 mg/dL), took 50,000 IUs weekly for 4 months, and BP did not change at all.

The problem of hypertension is not as simple as giving people vitamin D. In fact, Im not sure its been demonstrated that vit D has any effect on BP in a controlled clinical study.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Yes but Vitamins Defiency are related to minerals imbalance. You can't correct the vitamin def and leave out the minerals. It's more complicated that we know, and researches are not accurate nor complete about this area. They prefer to do more research on meds that get them billions of dollars

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

I'm not sure about a mega dose of vitamins, but I have been supplementing with vitamin D for the past week. I am strange about trying new things, even vitamins, and they have been on my counter for about a month.

In any case, supplementing up to 3 or 4000mg daily is supposedly not dangerous. Those of us living far from the equator, such as me in the NE United States, are said to need this vitamin desperately in the winter months due to lack of sun exposure. With that said, I did not have a blood test to determine if I had an insufficiency.

After a week of vitamin D supplementation of about 2000mg daily, my blood pressure has decreased. I would say about 10/5 reduction. Please keep in mind that this is not a controlled experiment by any means, and the relationship could easily be non-existent. I plan on taking 3000mg daily next week to see if there is any further reduction.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
(male)

Marc46 HB UserMarc46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
I'm not sure about a mega dose of vitamins, but I have been supplementing with vitamin D for the past week. I am strange about trying new things, even vitamins, and they have been on my counter for about a month.

In any case, supplementing up to 3 or 4000mg daily is supposedly not dangerous. Those of us living far from the equator, such as me in the NE United States, are said to need this vitamin desperately in the winter months due to lack of sun exposure. With that said, I did not have a blood test to determine if I had an insufficiency.

After a week of vitamin D supplementation of about 2000mg daily, my blood pressure has decreased. I would say about 10/5 reduction. Please keep in mind that this is not a controlled experiment by any means, and the relationship could easily be non-existent. I plan on taking 3000mg daily next week to see if there is any further reduction.
You sound like me,.......I was told to take 5000 units per day about a month ago.
Still have not started the vitamin D!
My levels tested in the mid twenties BTW.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I always feel so sleepy after a dose of vitamin D, normally I take 5,000 IU but for some reason this dose causes a kindey pain :|

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Soflsun

I Hope you means 3 to 4000 IU per day NOT mg per day.

Jesus

Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Yes, I meant iu not mg...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Doctors prescribe super doses of Vitamin D. I believe it's the Vitamin D2 kind, which is the worst synthetic kind. The preferred is Vitamin D3, which can be taken in moderate doses, probably not to exceed 5,000 iu's a day. Vitamin D2 at high levels can tax the kidneys and Liver. Vitamin A and D can become toxic at high levels, so blood screening is important. Vitamin D and Calcium can both lower blood pressure. The other vitamins to help lower blood pressure are Magnesium and B supplements such as Vitamin B6, Niacin and Folic Acid. Other supplements such as Garlic, Fish Oil, Ginger and Hawthorne are also known to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and improve heart health. The side effects which can become a problem with either of these supplements or combinations is excessive bleeding. Most of these supplements effect blood clotting. Another supplement to lower blood pressure is Potassium, but getting the dose right can be very tricky. Potassium effects the heart and kidneys. Most of these supplements should be discussed with a doctor, especially when taking HBP medications, due to interractions.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Indeed, thats what I was prescribed - D2. I took 50k IU/wk for 12wks, and while I think I felt better from it (more energy - perhaps placebo), it did not a thing for bp. Garlic (10g/day), fish oil (4g/day), niacin (.5-.75 g/day) also had no effect (taken for other reasons).

What is hawthorne and ginger supposed to do in terms of mechanism of lowering bp?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Indeed, thats what I was prescribed - D2. I took 50k IU/wk for 12wks, and while I think I felt better from it (more energy - perhaps placebo), it did not a thing for bp. Garlic (10g/day), fish oil (4g/day), niacin (.5-.75 g/day) also had no effect (taken for other reasons).

What is hawthorne and ginger supposed to do in terms of mechanism of lowering bp?
My bp is 120/79 today. How long had you been on those supplements? Garlic takes 3 months to lower bp anyway. and 10g daily ???? wow that's too much. I take 3 x 300mg and sometimes I double the dose.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post

Strengthen the heart and improve blood flow. Increased blood flow and circulation can benefit conditions such as hardening of the arteries, which can help lower blood pressure.

Closed Thread