It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
133/81, no meds for 14 days! supplements only

Hi,

I want tell all of you this good news
I'm meds free now and bp has been running great. I took a reading first thing in the morning: 131/79 but heart rate is WAY UP when I woke up and for the first 2 hours of the day, then it goes back to the 70s or med 80s (without doing anything). I just took another reading and bp is 133/81 hr is 81
I feel better but I think that after 7+ years of being on Diltiazem SR 180mg daily I still suffer withdrawal symptoms.

It seems I can't concentrate at all, even on the slightest things. I'm sure this is related to Diltiazem.

Anyway, supplements are great and it's working better than it was while taking Diltiazem I have no Idea why is that!
Mike

The following user gives a hug of support to cartner:
denzuko1 (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
(female)

brebre HB User
Re: 133/81, no meds for 14 days! supplements only

Mike, good for you!
Wish some good luck my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
Hi,

I want tell all of you this good news
I'm meds free now and bp has been running great. I took a reading first thing in the morning: 131/79 but heart rate is WAY UP when I woke up and for the first 2 hours of the day, then it goes back to the 70s or med 80s (without doing anything). I just took another reading and bp is 133/81 hr is 81
I feel better but I think that after 7+ years of being on Diltiazem SR 180mg daily I still suffer withdrawal symptoms.

It seems I can't concentrate at all, even on the slightest things. I'm sure this is related to Diltiazem.

Anyway, supplements are great and it's working better than it was while taking Diltiazem I have no Idea why is that!
Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Yes sister I really hope you will get to the bottom of this and be able to know what's really wrong. Good luck
Mike

Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
(male)

denzuko1 HB User

It is encouraging to know that it is possible lower the blood pressure with suppliments.

I was diagnosed by my doctors with hypertension in Jan 2011 (141/93) and was put on medication Beta-blockers (Atenolol and Nifedipine combined) 50mg. The result was headache, weak muscle and light headedness. I also became very sleepy by noon and would would wake up quite letargic and lack of concentration.

I have also decided to drop the medication. I started with taking Celery and green apples recommended by my colleague, I then added raw garlic to the list. I have been taking these for around a week to 2.

After more reading, I included olive oil, omega-3 and Magnesium to the menu (for 2 days now).

I have only been off the medication since sunday, my blood pressure measured this morning was 133/88(pre-hypertension levels). I guess mine is still a long way to go.

Unfortunately, I come across this board a little too late. I stopped the medication abruptly, thinking that I did enough work to transit from medication to vegetable treatment. While my readings on blood pressure improves, same cannot be said about my heart. Due to the withdrawal syndrome of the drug, I am experiencing Palpitation in the afternoon, with heart rate at around 80-91. I am still experiencing light headedness and fainting sensation.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

Your readings are not bad, people live all their life without any problems on readings of 140/90. Just make sure you take Magnesium Chelated 400mg daily, if your kidneys are ok.
Garlic is wonderful for blood pressure, I take 1,000mg to 2,000mg daily. Grape Seed Extract and Hawthorn berry extract are very powerful and effective in reducing blood pressure but it takes like 2-3 moths to see the effect.
When you shop for supplements make sure you get the top line brands, if you can shop online from the US then I can recommend those brands: Now Foods, Jarrrow Formulas, Life Extension, New Chapter and Carlson fish oil.

Dosage is crucial, some supplements are very safe to take as much as you want like vitamin C (ascorbic acid without any additions in the tablets). Others like Vitamin D, Fish oil and Magnesium need to be taken with caution.
Good luck
Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
denzuko1 (02-24-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
(male)

Marc46 HB UserMarc46 HB User

Wow,.......that's crazy in my opinion to use a BB combined with a CCB for those readings!!!

Just slightly above 'borderline.'
If your natural approach does not work, get your doc to try an ARB all alone first.

Very few to no sides, and a good chance of bringing your BP under good control.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Happy to see you fellas are doing ok without your meds, but just a little advice. Increase your vitamin C gradually as it can cause digestive problems and Diahrrea. Start with maybe 1,000 mgs., I take 2 500 mgs, one in the a.m. the other after supper on a full stomach, morning one after breakfast. I tried more then a 1,000 and got digestive problems, so that was my cut off. If your not experiencing any problems, try another 500 for maybe a week at a time.

Yes you will experience some HR problems by just quitting Atenolol cold turkey, but if you can tuff it out..go for it. I was on 50 mgs and it took me over 2 weeks to "wean" off.

If your wondering if I'm med. free...NO, no such luck as of yet, but hey, maybe one day. I have to be careful with many suppliments as my system is so sensative.

Good luck gents.....JJ...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Do agree with Marc, sounds like overkill, and yes, I'd recommend an ARB if the natural way doesn't totally work. Many Drs. try an Ace, but most folks get the dreaded Ace cough. Good luck again....JJ

Closed Thread