It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
(male)

glycoman HB User
Metoprolol,Lotrel and Diclofenac

Hi; I'm new as of 5 minutes ago!
Had hbp for 7 years or so but pretty much under control; never really listened to the doc about the metoprolol because I felt funny with it but the lotrel seemed ok; Recently prescribed Diclofenac for arthritis/tendon aches in right arm (lots of golf). Noticed a week or so before taking it that my BP was running higher than normal again, like 138/89 when it had been 118/76 etc. so I decided I'd better add the metoprolol back in. Bottom line is for 3 or 4 days I was scared....BP started to run 150/100, pulse rate 55 or so and my heart was flipping around. Stopped both the metoprolol and diclofenac and all has settled down but not totally back to those really good readings I used to have. I'm on Lotrel 5/10. I love Lotrel and wondered if anyone has an opinion about taking 2 per day, 1 am,1pm..essentially making it 10/20? This is my first post so I hope I'm following the rules correctly...thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Metoprolol,Lotrel and Diclofenac

I think you need to talk to your doc, sounds like you're self medicating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Welcome to the boards, glycoman!

It's interesting that your blood pressure soared even more when you started the diclofenac. There are big warning labels regarding diclofenac and other powerful NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), particularly regarding the cardiovascular system. Diclofenac can lead to the onset of new hypertension or increase preexisting hypertension and doctors are supposed to prescribe this drug with caution plus BP should be monitored closely at the beginning of therapy.

DO talk to your doctor about adjusting your Lotrel which is a combo of the calcium channel blocker amlodipine+benazepril (an ACE inhibitor). Don't guess about dosage!
And if metopolol (beta blocker) disagrees with you, definitely tell him/her. It does have many side effects.

zuzu

Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
(male)

glycoman HB User

thank you; and you are correct in that I do "tweek" the medicines and supplements I take. I have another condition which I felt I should discuss elsewhere on the boards. It was diagnosed 6 years ago as CLL, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. I am now a trained First Connections volunteer for the Leukemia / Lymphoma Society specializing in CAM (Complimentary and Alternative Medicine). I am in a clinical study at NIH in Bethesda and have been reclassified last year as having MBL, Monoclonal B Lymphocytosis, which is a step down. I am very,very fortunate. Again, I have such a passion,drive to figure things out that I may be self medicating with the meds. (I am confident with my supplement expertise and regimen..and so is my oncologist). I will check with my primary before I make any changes on the Lotrel. thank you flutterbye77 and zuzu8

Last edited by glycoman; 02-24-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Closed Thread