It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
(male)

Radios On HB User
ramipril and urine flow?

I have been taking ramipril for high bp for almost a year now and I am on 5mg per day. I am experiencing a strong urge to urinate throughout the day, but mainly at night. Urine flow has decreased though, but frequency of urinating is up. It has gotten to the point where it is majorly affecting my sleep. It seemed to coincide with starting ramipril so I don't know if this is a know side effect of it or if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks for any info.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: ramipril and urine flow?

I don't see that as a side effect of Altace (ramipril) but everyone is different. The usual side effects are cough..dizziness..headache and tiredness. I took it years ago put couldn't handle the cough and if I was out in the sun I got very dehyrated, plus I got swelling in the legs quite a few times.

Have you talked with your Dr. about this as you may need something else? Have you also been tested for Diabetes? Do you take a water pill as well?

I take Avapro, an ARB and I do find I urinate more on it then when off yet it is not listed as a side effect either. Have a talk with your Dr.

Good luck...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
(male)

Radios On HB User

I got tested for hypoglycemia a couple years back and it was negative, not sure if that would show true diabetes though. I have talk with my Dr. a couple times and she recommended that I stop ramipril for a week and see if it goes back to normal. She said it can mess with kidney function so it may be causing it. I'm not any other bp medication and haven't started any new medications in a long time so then I would know that it's the medicine. Otherwise I will have to do more testing. Was thinking if not the meds it might be something like prostatitis or a uti, but no burning sensation so I am thinking it's probably the ramipril. Hopefully not diabetes. It all seemed to start around the time of starting ramipril and got worse when I upped the dose so I am hoping it is just that. I am on day 2 of stopping ramipril so I will update as I find out. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sounds like it might just be the meds. Let us know how you feel after stopping them. I'm VERY sensative to meds., so if there is a side effect...trust me, I get it. Glad your Dr. is having you try stopping them.

True Diabetes is usually done by a fasting blood sugar and an A1c, but it sounds like your Dr. keeps on top of things.

Good luck...JJ....

Closed Thread