It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

peach snapple HB User
Talking rising blood pressure when lying down

I hope I can find someone who has some knowledge on this. I've been to 3 Drs.(?) , none of whom knew the answer. I started having a heaviness in my chest , in the morning. When I got up, it would go away, at first. I also noticed that my BP was elevated upon rising. As time went on, it got more frequent, the Bp increased and chest pains began. Over the next few weeks, the chest pains were almost constant, my BP was out of control and I was having a hard time breathing. One real bad morning, I took myself to the ER . Tests for heart attack were negative.
A cardiologist changed my BP meds (yes, I had been on atenolol for 12 years)
to coreg. Now that did help the chest pain (not completely), and the breathing has greatly improved. What about my BP???
Why does my blood pressure go up when I lay down for a nap, or watch TV, or sleep at night? It goes back to normal (115/68) during the day when I am active!! Just the opposite of what it should do.
Has anyone had this problem?
I sure would like to feel normal again. Thanks for listening.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
(male)

sumitsage HB User
Re: rising blood pressure when lying down

Hi,

I am just curious to know if you find some solution to this problem. My father has exactly the same problem although he is on anti-hypertension medications, his BP is under control during the day usually when is not in a lying position. As soon as he gets to bed, in something like 40-45 minutes his BP spikes. Can you please tell me how did you deal with the problem..?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

You dont describe how much it goes up, but bp should be lower in the sitting position vs laying in bed. All the blood sitting in the lower extremity veins rapidly returns to the heart when laying down, thus increasing stroke volume and blood pressure.

If you are volume depleted, you may have an exaggerated difference in pressure in the two positions. There are other reasons as well. Do you feel light headed when you stand up from a laying or sitting position? How old are you?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

peach snapple HB User

Hi guys, I wrote that message over a year ago. It has taken 6 months and 4 Drs. to diagnosis Autonomic Neuropathy. Diabetics are prone to this even though I am not diabetic. You can look this condition up on the Mayo Clinic, NIH, or Johns Hopkins site. It was just a fluke(?) that I happened to hear this term and looked into it. I was getting tired of Drs. telling me I needed to see a counselor. I AM a counselor! Anyway, I sure hope this helps someone. I would be happy to share what I have learned.

Closed Thread