It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User
Red face My BP Numbers. Lexapro, Androgel, too much Coffee Causing my High BP?

Here are my last numbers:
154/85 66
138.84 66
147/85 63
124/84 58
141/86 57
123/87 49
148/89 55
150/92 53
144/84 59
128/81 56

Notice how nice and low my pulse is?
When I was in the doctors office last week I had Tachardia and rapid heart beats over 110 BPM during an EKG and my BP was spiking high. He believes this is anxiety related because I recently stopped taking my lexapro. Also that day of the EKG I drank 6 espressos! Which I no longer do, lol
I suffer with anxiety and panic. I did a little experiment. If I dont drink the one cup of coffee in the morning, I am about 10 points lower. The higer numbers are after that one cup of coffee. these numbers are from the last 3 days in which I was off and home. When I am in my office working, on the phones, in meeting etc I notice the bottom number can often times be 90 to 95.
I have seen improvements with being on 200 mg of COQ10 for 2 weeks now. I am also awaitting for Hibiscus Tea to arrive in the mail.
I started back on my Lexapro last week after stopping, so that also may be contributing to the improvements.
The wild card here is I am taking androgel (testerone) for low T which can raise BP. So the Doc is not sure what the problem was, coffee, Testosterone, stopping the Lexapro, or a combination of all 3.
But I am improving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: My BP Numbers. Lexapro, Androgel, too much Coffee Causing my High BP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonphotog View Post
Here are my last numbers:
154/85 66
138.84 66
147/85 63
124/84 58
141/86 57
123/87 49
148/89 55
150/92 53
144/84 59
128/81 56
Your diastolic would be in a more healthy range down below 80. When during the day do you normally take your readings?

Quote:
When I was in the doctors office last week I had Tachardia and rapid heart beats over 110 BPM during an EKG and my BP was spiking high. He believes this is anxiety related because I recently stopped taking my lexapro. Also that day of the EKG I drank 6 espressos! Which I no longer do, lol
Blood Pressure and Heart Rhythm medications usually try to block or inhibit hormones, hormones which the body produces after drinking espresso, or caffeinated coffee or tea. So...... tis not too much of a surprise that blood pressure and heart rate is higher after drinking espresso.

Quote:
I suffer with anxiety and panic.
If I consumed the amount of caffeine that you do, I would also be climbing the walls.

Quote:
When I am in my office working, on the phones, in meeting etc I notice the bottom number can often times be 90 to 95.
Along with many other things, stress can raise the blood pressure.

Quote:
I am also awaitting for Hibiscus Tea to arrive in the mail.
Is it decaf? I have drank quite a few decaf teas and decaf coffees every day, for many years. It may take some shopping around to find good quality hibiscus teas that are also decaffeinated. I have serious heart disease, so I MUST drink decaf!

Best of luck with your health and blood pressure!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-25-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User

Well, I have taken several reading a day, so probably morning, afternoon and evening. But as I said, the last 3 days I have been home watching TV with very little stress.
Id like to lower this myself, but if I have to I can try a mild medication.

Hibiscus Tea, ummmm I didnt think it had caffein???? Oh no!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

From what little I have read hibiscus and hibiscus mint tea are caffeine free. Hopefully it helps and I definately suggest going VERY low on coffee, decaf or not. I'm sure your anxiety is a contributing factor to your BP as well.

Good luck..JJ..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User

Just to post an update, for the last three days my BP has been stable at 125/85 and all reading have been pretty consistent at that number. On 10mg of Lexapro, 2 pumps androgel.
Im really perplexed as to why it was so high a couple weeks ago and now its normal???

The ONLY thing I can think of is the supplements. I began taking 200mg of COQ10 every day, Garlic Tabs, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium. PErhaps there was some deficiency there?
Either that or the Lexapro has kicked in and calmed me, meaning my high BP was caused by anxiety.
2 days ago I dropped down to 5mg from 10mg of Lexapro. Lets see what happens with that lower dose.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Gee that is pretty good. I have heard the Magnesium is suppose to be good for BP, so far I haven't tried it. You may be right, certain deficiencies might help up BP? Keep doing what your doing as it seems to be working for you and keep us updated.

Maybe the combo of suppliments..meds. and less coffee is working..

Good luck...JJ...

Closed Thread