It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Higher BP Empty Stomach, Lower BP After Eating

Anyone notice a drop in BP after eating a hearty meal, and higher reading when hungry?

When I am hungry and haven't eaten much during the day, I notice a higher diastolic pressure...after eating, it seems to come down swiftly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
(male)

Bpjm HB User
Re: Higher BP Empty Stomach, Lower BP After Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
Anyone notice a drop in BP after eating a hearty meal, and higher reading when hungry?

When I am hungry and haven't eaten much during the day, I notice a higher diastolic pressure...after eating, it seems to come down swiftly.
Finally I found something about this. My cardiologist didn't know what to say when I asked him about that. He said that maybe the causes of my lack of eating (stress, hard work, etc.) was contributing to the high blood pressure/fast heart rate. This happens even when I'm relaxed with absolutely no stress or doing anything. BP shoots off (especially the diastolic one) with an empty stomach, then lowers almost immediately after eating "anything", not just hearty foods.

Amazingly what keeps my blood pressure on safe levels is drinking enough water and eating salt. I've experienced high blood pressure for awhile and they had never been on these "normal" levels before. It seems we are all dehydrated and that's the cause of many illnesses they say. The water cure keeps my blood pressure on normal levels as long as I eat. Checkout the "water cure" if you haven't already. There is video on Utube called "water cure debate". A debate between doctors about the water cure. It's broken into six videos. Very interesting.

What others say about empty stomach raising high blood pressure? Have you experienced this?

Last edited by Bpjm; 05-25-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Bpjm,

Do you find that you are cold when you are hungry and warm up after eating? I am not salt sensitive either...although my doctor says everyone is.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

I haven't paid a lot of attention to this but I have taken note a few times that I get some of my lowest readings right after eating. I think there is something to it for some of us.
Ivy

Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
(male)

Bpjm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
Bpjm,

Do you find that you are cold when you are hungry and warm up after eating? I am not salt sensitive either...although my doctor says everyone is.
No, not at all. Normal.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Interesting post. I too have found that my bp is always a bit higher when my stomach is empty, after I eat something, my bp goes lower. I think it may have something to do with my pulse rate. Before I eat, my pulse usually is low, after I eat my pulse rate goes up and the bp goes down. Have noticed this for quite sometime now. Anytime I have a high bp, I stop and eat and it always goes lower.

Missy

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

There is a condition known as post-prandial hypotension. What happens is that the blood pressure drops suddenly after eating a meal. In order for the digestive process to take place, more blood than is usually available in the stomach and intestines is necessary. So the body diverts the blood flow. Normally, the body compensates for this temporary "reduction" of blood volume by constricting the blood vessels and increasing the heart rate. In people with post-prandial hypotension things do not work this way. The blood vessels do not constrict and, as a result of that, the blood pressure falls. This sudden drop in blood pressure leaves some people dizzy or feeling unwell.
This can be prevented, at least to a degree, by eating smaller meals slowly, avoiding alcohol and high carb foods.

fg

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-02-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

hobomama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
This can be prevented, at least to a degree, by eating smaller meals slowly, avoiding alcohol and high carb foods.
Do you think there is a link between high carb foods and increased blood pressure?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

A link between high carb foods and higher blood pressure? .....it would not surprise me, especially if such diet was consumed consistently over a long period of time. I have found some information on the subject, but more studies are needed.

In the January 5, 2010 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine, a study titled "A Randomized Trial of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet vs Orlistat Plus a Low-Fat Diet for Weight Loss" concluded that greater reductions were seen in both diastolic and systolic blood pressure readings in people who followed a plant-based low-carbohydrate diet versus patients who ate a high-carbohydrate, low-fat vegetarian diet.

The body has a limited storage capacity for carbs in the muscle and liver. Once that is reached , the rest is turned into fat and stored in fatty tissue. Blood glucose raises rapidly after eating a high carb meal, requiring increased insulin levels. Higher insulin levels promotes accumulation of fat. We all know that extra weight (which includes fatty tissue) raises blood pressure levels.......

Machaon's posts describe how he has been dealing with these issues....successfully.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-03-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Closed Thread