It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

realazy HB User
Resting BP vs active BP

Hey guys - another newbie question!

Why are we, as well as medical practitioners, more concerned about resting BP versus active BP? ie. All sorts of things increase our BP temporarily, including working, exercising, eating, watching movies, attending social gatherings, etc. Pretty much everything that we as humans do! Yet, all guidelines for measuring BP talk about resting for 5-15 minutes before taking a BP reading.

So - should I be concerned, and take my BP readings during different activities? Or are resting BP's sufficient?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Resting BP vs active BP

Resting BP is likely used because it is the only state that can be easily "normalized". IE standardized. For example, telling someone to relax for 10 min prior to taking a reading is easier to standardize than trying to determine BP at some "standard" level of activity.

Last edited by atengnr; 07-25-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
(male)

realazy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Resting BP is likely used because it is the only state that can be easily "normalized". IE standardized. For example, telling someone to relax for 10 min prior to taking a reading is easier to standardize than trying to determine BP at some "standard" level of activity.
I can definitely see that as a rationale!

However, if you consider the fact that work, commute, errands, exercise, meals, social events, etc. make up most of a person's day, it makes me wonder if resting BP is a truly accurate indicator of overall BP health.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realazy View Post
I can definitely see that as a rationale!

However, if you consider the fact that work, commute, errands, exercise, meals, social events, etc. make up most of a person's day, it makes me wonder if resting BP is a truly accurate indicator of overall BP health.
I think that it is because, if your resting is elevated, so too will be your nonresting (compared to what it should be for that level of exertion - a number that is not defined). Its a marker for elevated BP throughout the range of activity.

Last edited by atengnr; 07-26-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
(male)

realazy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
I think that it is because, if your resting is elevated, so too will be your nonresting (compared to what it should be for that level of exertion - a number that is not defined). Its a marker for elevated BP throughout the range of activity.
Yeah, I guess that's the conclusion we're drawing, that resting BP is more easily measured/monitored, and that those healthy standards (ie. 120/80) are "fudged" to account for higher, active BP. But we're not doctors (I'm not at least , so I guess it's all just speculations!

Closed Thread