It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

zekemccune HB User
Question BP goes down but pulse goes up on lisonipril

I accidently stopped taking my lisonipril for a few weeks. My BP did go up big time but the strange thing was my pulse went down a LOT. On lisonipril my BP goes down but my pulse is in the 90's. Without medication my BP is high but my pulse is only in the 70's. What gives ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: BP goes down but pulse goes up on lisonipril

I was hoping you would get a reply, I have the same problem! I don't want to tell my doctor about it because I know they would give me a beta blocker to slow down my pulse, but like you it's only fast when I take the BP pills.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterbye77 For This Useful Post:
zekemccune (08-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

i take a lot of lisinopril and my pulse is 40s...but my BP (systolic at least) can still be borderline with a pulse in the 40s or 50s. funny...meds effect people differently i guess...

The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinete For This Useful Post:
zekemccune (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Lisinopril is an Ace drug. My first HP pill was Altace, another Ace and it did nothing for my BP but it sure did give me a racing heart rate especially if I was out in the sun for awhile. Did the same thing to my husband. For some reason it also gave me a lot of Diarrhea which of course caused me to get dehydrated. It also caused a lot of leg swelling.

I tried Atenolol and although it seemed to work good for me it lowered my potassium level and slowed my pulse down too low. I'm now on Avapro, an ARB and it does ok for the BP but boy it sure does give me a wicked backache. Going to see next Dr. visit if we can switch to something else that is better tolerated by me.

Good luck...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
zekemccune (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

It's a relatively normal response for blood pressure and heart rate to be inversely correlated. It is how the body keeps all the vital organs with proper amounts of blood. When pulse is high, blood pressure usually is lower and vice versa. This is not the case during an anxiety attack though.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Lisinopril knocks my systolic really low but not so much my diastolic. I think thats why I have problems with meds. SO I end up with numbers like 85/80 or 101/85 with a pulse of 100 sometimes.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

kind of see what you are saying soflsun, but that is prob a generic statement...consider these examples:

1) beta blockers - lower both pulse and BP

2) guys like miguel indurain and lance armstrong both have restings pulses in the 30s...i can't imagine they have high blood pressure because of it

i generally thought...the more well trained the heart, the less it has to work to distribute adequate blood...thus lower the pulse and lower BP. if your heart is weak, it has to work extra hard...beat more times/min and pressure is higher...that's why exercise is so recommended to bring down BP.

but i also agree that if you are faint/dehydrated...pulse will rise and BP may drop.

so many different factors though...i for one exercise 2 or 3 times a DAY sometimes...have a rock bottom pulse, yet can still get higher readings now and then...especially when panic induced as you mention.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Dad has a pulse of 30 and he is 82, my husband is borderline obese and the only exercise he does is mowing the lawn and his pulse is 40 at rest w/ borderline hypertension and on no meds.
There is a difference between a REAL athlete and the average person which is what we all are.

I agree with being dehydrated, when my pulse goes up I drink about 3 bottles of water and it returns to normal. I have no idea how I end up so dehydrated all the time.

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 08-05-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Closed Thread