It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
(male)

redhawk45 HB User
Normal blood pressure, but low pulse...

Not sure if this would be the place to post this question.

I'm 32 years old, 220 pounds and not in the greatest of shapes (i.e., not very active like I should be). Before I had a tooth infection, my blood pressure was up along with a good pulse of around the upper 60's to lower 70's. I get two teeth pulled (molars), plus taking amoxicillin, and now my blood pressure is perfect (126/78, but my pulse is slow. Occasionally it'll be in the upper 50's...today was 63 for a pulse. Could Amoxicillin do this? What could be the reason behind this?

Again, I'm not in the greatest of shapes...I got a gut on me and my excersize is either taking care of stuff around the house (daily chores and going out) or playing with the cat up and down the halls (have the kitten chase a string or mouse on a string). Once in a while I'll get winded, though.

I thought to ask people on here, but I have a doctor appointment this coming Thursday, and he'll probably be ordering a bunch of tests once I tell him...either that or he'll think I'm imagining this up and he'll call me a liar:P

Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Re: Normal blood pressure, but low pulse...

Honestly, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." If your pressure is down, and your pulse is good...60's or upper 50's is just fine usually, I would be happy rather than overly concerned.

Good to check out at the doctor, but I think you are okay!

Last edited by soflsun; 08-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I was told that any antobiotic with 'cillin' will alter your BP. Maybe that's true with pulse also. Normal healthy pulse is between 70-100 but your pulse seems fine to me. When I was sick mine would drop to 40-50, except last time and it shot up to 115.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk45 View Post
... I'm 32 years old, 220 pounds and not in the greatest of shapes (i.e., not very active like I should be). ... my pulse is slow. Occasionally it'll be in the upper 50's...today was 63 for a pulse. ... Again, I'm not in the greatest of shapes...I got a gut on me ... Once in a while I'll get winded, though. ...
To me, the speed of the heartbeat is not as important as the quality of the heartbeat, IMHO. If the heartbeat is slow but the heart is beating effectively and pumping a satisfactory amount of good rich red blood throughout the circulatory system, then that is a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Quote:
I have a doctor appointment this coming Thursday
Your regular doctor can probably check and get an evaluation of the quality of your heartbeat by having you take an EKG test. This, of course, depends upon his knowledge, skill level and his concern, or lack of concern for your health.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Usually any infection will probably cause your BP to go up as it is stress on the body. I know if I get a sinus infection my BP and heart rate go up some. As far as your lower pulse, it doesn't seem all that low in my opnion but then again I am not a Dr. Seeing you have a Drs. appt. this week I'm sure talking with him/her over your concerns is best. The antibiotics may or may not have had something to do with it as well.

Best of wishes and keep us posted how it goes...JJ...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
(male)

redhawk45 HB User

Thx to all for replying. I honestly have no clue why it's this way. I have found that depression can alter blood pressure to freaky ups and downs, but unsure about pulse.

Well, I'm not used to seeing my pulse in the upper 50's and lower 60's. For the past couple months, it's been usually upper 60's to 70's. It's just after I got the teeth pulled that I've been seeing this decrease in heart rate.

Closed Thread