It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

boubou HB User
High blood pressure at doctor then back down

46 year old female, non smoker, 5 foot 4 inches, 135 lbs
I jog, bike, lift weights several times per week and have a very good diet. I take exdellent care of myself.
Went for physical this week and for the first time of my life, my blood pressure in the office apwas 155/110 ( i think) the doctot then had me sit in a room with the bo machine on for 15 minutes where several readings were done and the numberes were then avaraged. The final numbers went down to appx 133/88
I'm a little concerned because i've never had these hi numbers before but my doctor is not worried because the numbers came down once sitting down and she attributed the slight elevation to being in the office.
Should I be worried now when I jog?
Should I get a machine and obsess about it?

Thank you

Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: High blood pressure at doctor then back down

My numbers go down too and lower than that, but still on meds. Some doctors will treat it, others say it's not a big deal if your BP goes down.

I have a friend who has high numbers in the 130's/ over high 80's on on lisonipril. I personaly thought she didn't need it, but her doc put her on meds.

Maybe you might want to moniter it home for awhile.

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 08-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterbye77 For This Useful Post:
boubou (08-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

BooksRule HB User

If you don't usually get high numbers at the doctor's office, then it's hard to say why they went up this time, but if your doctor isn't concerned, then I wouldn't obsess about it. I have 'white coat syndrome', but my doctor understands and makes allowances for it. They usually let me sit for a few minutes and then take it again. It is still usually higher than it should be, but it goes down some.

I have a good BP monitor at home, but I only take my BP a couple of times a week. I keep a log and take it to my doctor's office with me. He lets me use those numbers (usually in the upper 110's over the upper 60's or low 70's) and considers my BP to be under control. He has just told me to let him know if the numbers begin to creep up on a steady basis.

It might make you feel better to have a little control over the situation and take your BP at home. But don't let it take over and try not to obsess about it (that might only make your numbers go higher!).

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to BooksRule For This Useful Post:
boubou (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
(female)

boubou HB User

I don't understand too much about blood pressure.
I'll get a bp monitor and check it about 3 times per day for a while.
What should I expect to see?
should I expect high and lows at different times of the day or should it be pretty much all even throughout the day?
Also, how high should I expect it to go after a jog or weight lifting?

I should also mention that I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee per day and drinking more wine this summer than ever, like 3 to 4 glasses per day maybe about 4 days a week. I've also cut that off.
I hope this will help lower the bp

Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

boubou HB User

I got Omron BP755 automatic blood pressure monitor from Costco
I was really nervous about mynumbers being high but when I took them (5 different times after repositioning the arm cuff), the numbers were:

116/71 (first reading)
102/74
107/73
105/74
109/72

All within 15 minutes

Could the machine be wrong?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

boubou,

Great readings! I believe the machine is accurate...probably just nerves at the doctor's office. Check it every couple of weeks just to be sure. The worst thing to do is obsess about it (that's what we all do here...)

The Following User Says Thank You to soflsun For This Useful Post:
boubou (08-22-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
(female)

BooksRule HB User

I agree! Great readings!

It looks like you're in control. Keep up the good work and remember that everything should be in moderation (even checking your BP!)

Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Those are very good readings and usually the Omrons are quite accurate. Maybe you just had an off day at the Drs. office. You could have even eaten something that made it go up. Whatever you do don't obsess about taking your BP at home. When I first was told my BP was high I got a machine and took my BP WAY too often so I finally shoved it in a closet and haven't seen it since....

Wishing you the best...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
boubou (08-26-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would take a daily brisk walk instead of a jog.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Boubou,
I agree with everyone that those #s are great. Just one piece of info I'd like to share: If you take your BP again, a good protocol is to take it only 3 times, waiting at least 3 minutes between inflations (gives the arteries a chance to "recover")-Throw out the first reading and then average the last 2.

zuzu

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
JJ (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
(female)

boubou HB User

Maybe the frozen pizza with all the sodium the night before? I had fasted for 12 hours but who knows.
Each time I take it it's well within normal limit
anywhere from 106/64 to 110/75
I guess I'll have to trust it and not worry.

Last edited by boubou; 08-26-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I would take a daily brisk walk instead of a jog.
Why a brisk walk instead of jog? should I worry about bp getting too hight when working out?
I've been jogging for years

Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8 View Post
Boubou,
I agree with everyone that those #s are great. Just one piece of info I'd like to share: If you take your BP again, a good protocol is to take it only 3 times, waiting at least 3 minutes between inflations (gives the arteries a chance to "recover")-Throw out the first reading and then average the last 2.

zuzu
Great tip! I'll do that. Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

It very well could have been the pizza as that food seems to stay with many people a long time. You could be salt sensative. Next time you have anything that seems to be on the salty side see if that is when your BP seems to rise. It's really amazing how certain foods can affect your BP. Many folks can't drink coffee or tea as they are stimulants. Just keep doing as your doing and don't worry unless your Dr. thinks it's time to worry.

Good luck...JJ....

Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
It very well could have been the pizza as that food seems to stay with many people a long time. You could be salt sensative. Next time you have anything that seems to be on the salty side see if that is when your BP seems to rise. It's really amazing how certain foods can affect your BP. Many folks can't drink coffee or tea as they are stimulants. Just keep doing as your doing and don't worry unless your Dr. thinks it's time to worry.

Good luck...JJ....
Great idea for taking bp after high salt consumption. I'll give it a try

Closed Thread