It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
(male)

trw1972 HB User
High BP but doctor says its 'fine'?

Hey all

Im a 39 year old male and went for a check up today

as part of that i had a BP check, and it came out as 147/76 (resting pule was 84)

which id consider quite higher than it should be

The doctor insisted it was fine though??

Im a bit confused..surely that level is considered hypertension?.

I dont really want to go back and insist on another test...but it is a slight concern?. What would people suggest?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: High BP but doctor says its 'fine'?

I would suggest you stop worrying. The doctor is not concerned because he probably thinks the higher systolic number is due to anxiety. If you are really worried, purchase a home BP monitor and keep track of it for yourself. If you get consitantly high systolic readings you can make another appointment and discuss it with your doctor. In the meantime, relax

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
trw1972 (09-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

rudiraven is right about in-office higher numbers. It's very common. The top # is the systolic and is the one that fluctuates most when even modestly stressed (like being in a doc's office!).

A 147 systolic, with a beautifully normal dystolic of 76 is of no concern unless it stays up there.

R-E-L-A-X.
zuzu

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
trw1972 (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
(male)

trw1972 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8 View Post
rudiraven is right about in-office higher numbers. It's very common. The top # is the systolic and is the one that fluctuates most when even modestly stressed (like being in a doc's office!).

A 147 systolic, with a beautifully normal dystolic of 76 is of no concern unless it stays up there.

R-E-L-A-X.
zuzu
hehe i admit i was a bit anxious, ive had health issues lately and im probably examining everything too closely

Ill...relax

Thanks guys

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I don't think you have much to worry about at all. You said you have been anxious lately so that wll definately raise your BP. As long as your Dr. isn't concerned, I think I would leave it be and have one less thing to worry about.

Wishing you all the best...JJ....

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw1972 View Post
... ive had health issues lately ...
What types of health issues? A higher blood pressure can be a sign of something else that is wrong with the body or metabolism.

Have you had any other blood pressure readings since your 147/76?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-20-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
(male)

trw1972 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
What types of health issues? A higher blood pressure can be a sign of something else that is wrong with the body or metabolism.

Have you had any other blood pressure readings since your 147/76?

Hey machaon...basically 6 weeks ago i decided to lose weight, i was 5ft 11, inactive, ate junk and weighed 14st

I switched to lots of fruit n veg, NO junk food, some nuts, a little fish and some lean meat etc, took up running and weight training again.

Ive lost a stone... But its played havoc with...my digestive system making me quite irregular so to speak, but i dont think its related...

As to other measurements, nope, last one before was 6 months ago (when i was fat) and that was at the docs for a check up too... it was 130/70 then i think... so its odd that its gone up despite me being in much better shape..

Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw1972 View Post
... so its odd that its gone up despite me being in much better shape..
Blood Pressure normally varies all day long. It usually is lower during the early part of the day, and continues to rise until the evening. So...... normally the blood pressure reads higher at night.

One reading does not give you enough info to determine your average daily blood pressure. OTOH, a single reading of 180/110, or something like that, would require a doctor's visit.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
trw1972 (09-20-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
(male)

Atwater HB User

High blood pressure is a major problem these days. So you should use the maximum quantity of juices. It is useful to control the high blood pressure as well as your health

Closed Thread