It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
(male)

robthebert HB User
Down Too a 1/4 pill of Atenolol and side effect question

I am down to a 1/4 of a 25 mg pill of atenolol. It was been not fun and hell getting off of it so far, I was on it for about a year taking 100 mg daily. All the depression, cold shakes in the morning, sweat flashes throught the day, confussion is gone. I still am feeling weak and shakey; is this normal. The doctor gave me a glucose meter because my sugar does go low from time too time. I was dignosed as pre diabetic, but never had this problem before i was on atenolol. I am an electrician and do construction, so what i am feeling makes it real hard to work through the day, I feel like I am going to pass out at times because i am weak and shakey. Food does help the side effect somewhat but not totally. IS this normal for some of you, if so how long did it take to feel normal. I cant even work out or bike or jog because i feel like i will pass out if i did, I just want to be normal again. \

Tomorrow i will not take that 1/4 pill. I plan on being done with it. Last week i was still getting real fast heart rates in the morning just before i took the pill because thats when i take it. Any suggestions, or encouragment would be great. I was put on the medication for PVC's and Blood pressure, on a 1/4 pill i run at about 125 - 136 / 75-80 not too bad. Thanks in advance

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Re: Down Too a 1/4 pill of Atenolol and side effect question

May be anxiety. Get a script for xanax and if you feel better then you will know it was the culprit.

You should be able to stop 6.25mg atenolol without any further withdrawal symptoms. If you still want to take it slowly then take it every 48 hours for a week or 2. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
(male)

robthebert HB User

Are those signs of anxiety? Shakey, jitterery and light headed. Over the weekend like now its not half as bad, but when im out working in the sun its alot worse. Food helps the symptoms go away, but I would have to eat every hour too two hours then when im working. Well i am now on day two of no Atenolol and I woke up feeling a little better this morning (now) so we will see how the day goes, the test will be Monday at work and the rest of the work. IF I feel better then it was the atenolol, Amazing to think that just 6mg can have that effect, this drug is evil to some and me, I hope I never really need a betta blocker in my life.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Yes those symptoms can be anxiety...and people coming off beta blockers also experience anxiety commonly. It will hopefully pass when you are off the atenolol completely and your body readjusts to being without the drug.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
(male)

robthebert HB User

Update...

I am now off Atenolol and have been for 4 weeks almost. I feel so much better, what hell that was getting off it and being on it. So glad that is over. For the first few weeks by blood preassure was around 126/80 but now im getting around 130-145/80-90. This is without meds. I really dont want to get back on meds, i wont take another beta blocker and already told the dr that. How long can one stay that high (140/90) and be safe. I would like to try and figure out how to lower it without meds if possible? Like walking and diet. Ive lost some weight getting off atenolol and have gained a few of those pounds back, but i could stand to loose more and will, alot harder now because my apetite is back.

To those who are weening off atenolol or beta blockers, be patient; even when you think thing wont get beter they will in time. I feel whole again.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
(male)

willie1234 HB User

Hey Robert, How are your symptoms now? I am down to 6.25mg now too, but still have chills and the other symptoms that you mentioned. Send me a message when you can. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
(male)

Billgraves HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1234 View Post
Hey Robert, How are your symptoms now? I am down to 6.25mg now too, but still have chills and the other symptoms that you mentioned. Send me a message when you can. Thanks!
I have been on Atenolol for over 10 years and have just this week stopped the last bit of atenolol. I was on 50 mg and cut back to 25 mg for 45 days. than went to 1/2 pill every other day for 45 days.

So far so good but I think people need to wean themselves off this product over a long period of time and closely monitor BP and HR.

I took the last 1/2 pill last thursday evening. BP and HR up some but still in the 125/75 range. I have lost about 55 lbs over the last 8 months so that is having a balancing effect also. I have a lot of data on my withdraw and would share with anybody that might be interested.

It sounds like others have suffered significantly with this process.
Bill

Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
(male)

willie1234 HB User

Yes Bill, I would love to hear your experience weaning atenolol! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
(male)

Billgraves HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1234 View Post
Yes Bill, I would love to hear your experience weaning atenolol! Thanks!
1) Have been taking atenolol for a decade or more at 50 mg

2) Was overweight 270 @ 5'11" but generally stayed active so I seemed to be able to carry it. the last couple years though it has been getting tougher.

3) finally lost weight about 60 lbs this year down to 210

4) Started checking BP and HR this year alot. Average reading on 1 pill for month of may 121/68 HR 54. Started seeing some very low HR in the 45 range. Doctor said cut back to 1/2 pill which I did for 45 or so days. These are morning readings.

5) Average reading for 45 days 119/65 HR 57. BP seemed to go down HR up slightly. These are morning readings.

6) July 11 doctor said cut back to 1/2 pill which I did July 11. BP 114/69 HR 52. Reading seemed to go down again. Did notice significant spikes in HR immediately upon cutting dose. HR was above 150 for amount 90 minutes during a walk/run 90 minute exercise routine I do. This is much higher than normal. after about 1 week this effect seemed to disappear. The difference between HR readings taken in the morning vs all other times seemed to be increasing. Non morning BP was up slightly.

7) On August 18 doctor said discontinue Atenolol. Have not taken any since last thursday evening. Current morning average 123/73 HR 59. Higher but not a problem. Non morning readings 125/72 HR 76. Heart rate seems to be up significantly in the afternoon. Interesting I quite coffee a decade plus ago as I had heard it was bad for people with High Blood Pressure. I love coffee and decided to add it back to my diet last friday. Have seen Numbers of 165/99 after consuming significant amounts of coffee. Numbers seem to be higher in general after consuming any coffee. Decided last night I need to stay off coffee until this transition period is complete.

8) it is important to note that my diet and exercise level has significantly improved in 2012 so the good results I am seeing may be a combination of many factors.

9) I have not felt many of the side effects referenced by others either while on atenolol or while getting off atenolol. Heart rate does seem to be a little concerning at times but has generally stabilized after about a week or so after each dose reduction. Too early tell at this point for the zero dose. I am expecting some problems over the coming weeks.

10) I think improving diet and level of exercise will help. Last night before I swam Values were 165/99 HR 69 Note I had 40 oz of coffee yesterday as I was testing the impact I thought I saw with coffee over the weekend. Those are the highest BP readings this year. Swam my normal 2500 yards. 1 hr after swimming numbers were back down 119/75 but HR was still at 89. It seems to me that my body is still relearning how to manage the HR.

11) In general HR has remained elevated for a longer period after exercise during this transition period but has HR always dropped overnight back to 55 to 65 range . Afternoon readings seem to be higher the less atenolol that I take but morning readings less so. Once again its like the Governor is gone on the engine during active periods. Maybe this is not all bad. Still monitoring but have no intention of returning to atenolol.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
(male)

Billgraves HB User

The july 11 change in dose was 1/2 pill every other day. I maintained this level until August 18
Sorry

Closed Thread