It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
(male)

mrsoap HB User
How fast does a dose of enalapril work?

How fast does a dose of enalapril work?

Would one see results almost instantly or after how many hours? also, whats the life period of the drug in your body?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: How fast does a dose of enalapril work?

It should have some effect in about 12 hours, that's what happened with me and my father too. But it could take a while, maybe a week, to reach full effect.
Anyway, it's different from one person to another.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Peak serum concentrations of enalapril occur three to four hours after an oral dose of enalapril maleate.

It's 1/2 life is 11 hours.

So it should work it's best at 3-4 hours after taking.

Pup

Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
(male)

nkukard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
It should have some effect in about 12 hours, that's what happened with me and my father too. But it could take a while, maybe a week, to reach full effect.
Anyway, it's different from one person to another.
I"m curious about this aswell , currently my BP spikes 3 times a day, mid day, afternoon and late evening. Then falls to 100/50 around about 2am.

I was on prexum + prexum plus which is the only thing that brought my 200/130 down to 140/100 during the day.

Due to severe side effects including severe ED (to the point of non-existence) I have discontinued prexum about 3 weeks ago, have a 24/7 bp monitoring machine which takes readings every 15 mins and lay down when my bp starts spiking.

Why I"m curious about this, is the prexum had a long term effect, only after 1 week did my bp start going up after stopping it. When I was on enalapril before, my bp went up if I missed 1 day.

If enalapril doesn't act fast, my GP's idea of using it from 5-40mg when I get spikes is not going to work.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Going on a very healthy diet proved to be the most effective "medication" to help me achieve health blood pressure 24 hours per day, day after day, year after year.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Here's a little info about what "half life" means. Enalapril has, as pupcake said, a half life of 11 hours. This means, after 11 hours, half of the drug will still be in your system (50%). In another 11 hours you will then have half of THAT amount remaining, so 25%. After another 11 hours, it will be 12.5% and so on. So it would take approx 3 days for one dose of the drug to be completely out of your system.

zuzu

Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
(male)

nkukard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8 View Post
Here's a little info about what "half life" means. Enalapril has, as pupcake said, a half life of 11 hours. This means, after 11 hours, half of the drug will still be in your system (50%). In another 11 hours you will then have half of THAT amount remaining, so 25%. After another 11 hours, it will be 12.5% and so on. So it would take approx 3 days for one dose of the drug to be completely out of your system.

zuzu
Is there perhaps something faster acting than enalapril?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I think some of the beta blockers work very quickly.

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-06-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Going on a very healthy diet proved to be the most effective "medication" to help me achieve health blood pressure 24 hours per day, day after day, year after year.
I totally agree. No matter how many meds you are on, or how good they work, diet is the best thing for our illness.

The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
Machaon (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
(male)

nkukard HB User

Quote:
I totally agree. No matter how many meds you are on, or how good they work, diet is the best thing for our illness.
I agree. Totally agree. But this is not my particular problem. I have exceeded 240/130 on rabbit food. I cut coffee out my diet, tea, alcohol, everything except water. I cut all junk food out my diet. I eat well balanced portions of the diff food types and no highly processed items either. Low sodium, low fat .... etc etc etc.

My diet only changed my weekly average bp by 5-10 points on each side.

Like I said, yesterday when I had McDonalds my BP was one of the lowest ever recorded during the day and 8hr after that. While it may be a solution for most, there aer some of us that are totally screwed

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Most, if not all, doctors dismiss the importance of supplements in reducing blood pressure. I managed to get off my medication and helped my mother to do that too. Right now her blood pressure is 90/60 , too much supplements I guess lol. But her heart is stronger than ever and she's feeling great.

Anyway, you might need to take Magnesium Chelated, kyolic garlic, heart care hawthorn and 3 grams of omega 3 daily (Now foods ultra dha). Check your blood pressure after few days and I'm sure it will be lower.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
(male)

nkukard HB User

Quote:
Most, if not all, doctors dismiss the importance of supplements in reducing blood pressure. I managed to get off my medication and helped my mother to do that too. Right now her blood pressure is 90/60 , too much supplements I guess lol. But her heart is stronger than ever and she's feeling great.

Anyway, you might need to take Magnesium Chelated, kyolic garlic, heart care hawthorn and 3 grams of omega 3 daily (Now foods ultra dha). Check your blood pressure after few days and I'm sure it will be lower.
No disrespect, but I was specifically told by a professor that deals with secondary causes of hypertension in young adults something on the line of "do not mess around with supplements, this is not a game and I could very well die with the BP levels you have taking something that has an adverse effect". *shrug* ... I have been for nearly ever blood test on the stupid form you fill out and everything (I spent nearly a year every day at the public hospital doing ultrasounds, blood tests, urine tests... etc) all came back better than average. Unfortunately apart from making sure my diet is well balanced, based on what I've seen I'm not missing something as simple as a supplement, I wish I was!

I was diagnosed when I was 26.

Last edited by nkukard; 11-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
(male)

nkukard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
Peak serum concentrations of enalapril occur three to four hours after an oral dose of enalapril maleate.

It's 1/2 life is 11 hours.

So it should work it's best at 3-4 hours after taking.

Pup
Can I ask where you got this info Pupcake?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoap View Post
How fast does a dose of enalapril work? ...
What are your expectations for how well enalapril will work for you?

Most blood pressure medications are expected to lower the blood pressure an average of 5-10(mm Hg). That's why doctors often prescribe more than one different class of blood pressure medications. They hope to reduce the blood pressure by 5-10(mm-Hg) per medication.

In my case I take three different types of blood pressure medications, Coreg (Carvedilol) a Beta Blocker 25mg bid; Quinapril an Ace Inhibitor 10mg qd; and Lasix a diuretic 40mg Mon, Weds, Fri.

Buts..... I also have three other necessary things that I MUST do to keep my blood pressure at a very healthy level 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, year after year.

If you are interested in how I did it, one of my many threads that detail how I reduced my very high, chronic, hard to treat high blood pressure was in this Topic: High & Low Blood Pressure and was titled: 25 years fighting CHF, High Blood Pressure, Permanent AFib, Insulin Resistance.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=857513

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkukard View Post
Can I ask where you got this info Pupcake?
From the package insert- Pharmacokinetics The action of the drug.

I did a search online.

Pup

Closed Thread