It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Ideas Anyone??

since 2005, I have tried to find a drug to replace my beta blocker, mostly because of the lost exercise endurance from beta blockers. I have literally tried every 1st line drug out there and discovered that they ALL cause impaired ability to think, to remember, to process information. This side effect is sufficiently severe that taking one of these meds is not compatible with being a student or an employee.

The drugs that cause this cognitive impairment include:
carvedilol, labetalol, bystolic
amlodipine, diltiazem, verapamil
lisinopril, captopril
atacand, hyzaar
eplerenone
hydralazine

I have tried many of these drugs more than once.

The drugs that do not cause this issue - beta blockers, Clonidine, HCTZ, amiloride.

I recently weened off the beta blocker, in part because it seemed not to be effective anymore. HCTZ 12.5 or 25 simply does nothing for my BP. Clonidine works very well but causes sedation.....

Can anyone offer a suggestion?? BP is 150s/70.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Re: Ideas Anyone??

How long did you try Atacand for? I am on it for 2 years with no side effects...and I am very sensitive. It has the lowest incidence of any of the ARB's and most BP drugs in genereal. Also VERY effective.

Last edited by soflsun; 11-19-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
How long did you try Atacand for? I am on it for 2 years with no side effects...and I am very sensitive. It has the lowest incidence of any of the ARB's and most BP drugs in genereal. Also VERY effective.
I tried for 3 weeks. This drug was unique in that the cognitive impairment worsened insidiously over the 3 weeks. I recall thinking that it was going to work for me because there were no side effects during the first week.

Some have suggested that the problem is the drugs are lowering my BP too much, causing the symptoms, but my BP was not lower than 130/70s with any of these.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

First, I am not an M.D., and I'm only telling you folks what I do for my hypertension. I'm not suggesting that anyone stop taking their medicine. I drink two 16 fl. oz. of Trader Joe's Organic Carrot Juice twice daily, (one in the A.M. and one in the P.M.). One bottle contains 1080 mg. of Potassium, so drinking two bottles a day one would get 2160 mg. of extra Potassuim daily. It works for me, with no unpleasant side effects from medicine!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Hello Leegh,
Are you also taking a prescription medication for hypertension?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

No, I am not currently on any medication for hypertension. About eight years ago I was on medication for hypertension; my doctor put me on medication that made my blood pressure go too low, as I was dizzy when I would stand up, and almost fell a couple of times. In addition, my pulse rate was extremely high on the medication. After many times at the doctor's office making adjustments to the dosage, I finally decided to not take the medication anymore. I've improved the way I eat. I'm not ruling out getting on medication at some point again, but for now I'm OK. My blood pressure is a little high in the morning, then later in the day it's slightly below 120/80 or lower.

Closed Thread