It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Worried I may be taking too much Blood Pressure Medicine?

Hi guys, I was taking Benicar 20 mg. "I am 22 years old btw" I was still getting elevated readings and so my doctor increased my dose to Benicar 40mg a few fays ago.

Problem is as follows, ive actually been naturally lowering my blood pressure through diet and exercise, and this Benicar 40mg is making me lightheaded after I exercise.

Im not sure if this is good or bad, if it's good then of course i'll continue taking it but I am a little bit worried.

My usual bp range before the meds was 120-160 Systolic 70-80 diastolic. On Benicar 20 mg it was 120-150 Systolic 70 Diastolic

But now on the new medication my range is about 90-120 Systolic 45-70 diastolic. I still get the occasional high reading "is that normal?" but what I am owrried about is possibly I am taking too much medication as my Diastolic is very low.

My readings just now "2 hours after taking medication" are as follows.

104/64
106/69
123/70
95/44 < Is that abnormal or does it happen?

Should I ask my doctor to lower my medication?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Worried I may be taking too much Blood Pressure Medicine?

It does sound like your BP is too low at times. Are you sure of your readings (particularly the last one)??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantescritic View Post
Hi guys, I was taking Benicar 20 mg. "I am 22 years old btw"
22? Doctor's LOVE getting young patients on medications. It can lead to many years of income for them.

Quote:
I was still getting elevated readings and so my doctor increased my dose to Benicar 40mg a few fays ago.
The more medication for which a doctor can "hook" their patients, the better their profits!

Quote:
Problem is as follows, ive actually been naturally lowering my blood pressure through diet and exercise, and this Benicar 40mg is making me lightheaded after I exercise.
Congratulations! Diet and exercise are the two best medications to take to insure better health and a better metabolism.

Quote:
My usual bp range before the meds was 120-160 Systolic 70-80 diastolic. On Benicar 20 mg it was 120-150 Systolic 70 Diastolic
Blood Pressure starts low in the morning and naturally goes higher during the day. Your Diastolic, prior to meds, seemed healthy. What I would have done, prior to taking meds, would have been to track my blood pressure over a few days to determine if I had a blood pressure problem. Then I would have gone on a healthier diet and a good exercise program, to see if natural methods would get my blood pressure down to acceptable levels.

Plus..... it's not that uncommon for a healthy person to occasionally have a higher blood pressure reading.

Quote:
But now on the new medication my range is about 90-120 Systolic 45-70 diastolic. I still get the occasional high reading "is that normal?" but what I am owrried about is possibly I am taking too much medication as my Diastolic is very low.
Higher blood pressure is not always bad. It is a natural process of the body. When the body needs extra energy, for exercise, for work, for stress, etc., the body raises blood pressure to provide more energy to our muscles. That is why doctors like to measure "resting" blood pressure. They know that blood pressure can really fluctuate.

Quote:
My readings just now "2 hours after taking medication" are as follows.

104/64
106/69
123/70
95/44 < Is that abnormal or does it happen?
Blood Pressure meds start kicking in gradually after you take them and can reach their maximum kick one to three hours after taking them.

I'll get readings around 95/44, two - three hours after taking my meds. That wasn't the case before I was on a very healthy diet and really increased my daily exercise program. I do around 600-700 steps on my stepper, 200 weight curls, 140 weight lifts, 500 pushups, one hour power walk, and six minutes on my stationary bike every day. This has really lowered my blood pressure and also made me feel much better despite the meds that I am on. I am also near 70 years old and have had Heart Failure for over 25 years (which is getting much better as I get older with healthier habits).

Quote:
Should I ask my doctor to lower my medication?
What I would do would be to gradually reduce my meds, while monitoring my blood pressure several times per day, to determine how my blood pressure would react during the lowering process. Mind you, during a blood pressure reduction, blood pressure naturally goes up somewhat due to the rebound effect.

Unless your doctor is monitoring you with a 24 hour blood pressure monitoring device, he can only guess at how to treat your blood pressure. A reading, once in a while, in his office, tells him very little about your daily fluctuations in your blood pressure.

However, I am just an old man without any formal medical education or training, so what I would do might not be appropriate for you.

Take care..... good luck!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-21-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
(male)

Wulffie HB User

I agree completely with Machon (thanks for posting).

My history:
I had tremendously "spiky" BP readings 9 yrs. ago when I was 43, as in going from 125/75 to 190/95 then back to 140/85 in just a few hours time. (It turned out to be a really bad case of GERD (acid reflux).
I had also gained about 50 lbs in just 7 months right before that all happened .

Dr prescribed me first TAZTIA XT (TIAZAC) which was marginally effective, then prescibed me quinapril (Accupril) a few years later, which actually worked for awhile, then put me on HCTZ (a diruetic) which all 3 together worked. Keep in mind that my usual BP's without the spikes was between 122/72 to 140/85. (not terribly hypertensive)

Now why he kept me on TAZTIA, since it didn't really work all that well (and is EXPENSIVE) is a mystery to me. But I blindly followed his ministrations.
Fast forward 8 years... I lost 85 lbs since 1/3/11 (now at 199 lbs.)
A month ago I started feeling dizzy and unbalanced, and had periods of almost blacking out when I stood up, and in the morning I would wake up feeling nauseous, and feel lethargic and cloudy-headed most of the day. I hadn't taken my BP in awhile, and unlike a lot of people, I can tell when my BP is spiking (or on the low side) when I feel dizzy and strange.
So, I took my BP and it was 92/62! I then started taking my BP every day, twice a day (in the morning and at night (just before taking BP meds)).
My daily BP's readings read 92-105/62-68, which are a bit on the low side.

So I methodically started cutting down on one of my 3 BP meds. I cut the 40 mg quinapril pills in half (20 mg), and noticed my BP rising somewhat each day for the first 7 days. (up to 140/86), then after that, it started to decrease back down to 102-135/69-85. (morning BP's were always the lowest for me, and highest just as my BP meds were wearing off at night).
Anyway, after about 2 weeks, I stopped the calcium channel blocker (TAZTIA) altogether (not advisable , but its hard to split a capsule in half that contains teeny tiny pellets inside). And I monitored my BP even more closely because of that.
Again, my BP started to rise each day for the next 4 days.... and suprisingly dropped even LOWER than when I cut the first meds in 1/2.
So after cutting the quinapril in half for 16 days, and then cutting the TAZTIA off completely for 5 days my BP readings were back down to 97-119/69-79 !! which is in the normal range!!
Which beckons the question... WHY WAS I ON BP MEDS ALL THIS TIME IF AFTER CUTTING THEM DOWN OR OFF MY BP IS NORMAL ???
(I wanted to point out that as of today, I've been at the reduced quinapril for 33 days, and off the TAZTIA for 17 days,and the only other notable symptom is my pulse rate which was 48-65 ON the meds, and 65-80 OFF them).

It's clear that my system became dependent on them to keep my BP low, but watching them go up (rebound effect?) and then back down to normal again was a strong indication that I didn't need them anymore.

Currently, I'm still maintaining on 20mg quinapril and 50mg HCTZ. which I'm going to stop taking for a few days to see what happens. I don't think stopping the HCTZ is going to have any effect (except no longer having to get up in the middle of the night to pee - lol), but I expect another rebound effect from stopping the quinapril, though probably not as much.
We'll see what happens...

So, drastically changing my diet, and resuming my exercise program (very strenuous cardio and moderate weight lifting) back in January '11, and losing 85 lbs over the past 11 months, my blood pressure has been reduced naturally.

I do believe that somehow taking BP meds perpetuates the need to continue taking them. You'll never know unless you cut back on them, monitor your BP closely, keep track of them, and look for trends.

Since I don't have coronary artery disease or a history of persistant uncontrollable high BP, I felt OK about taking the risk to cut them back on my own. If I depended on my Dr to do it, it would probably take years, and since my health insurance ended when my job did, I don't have the time or $$$ to do that.

(I had a cardiac catheterization back in 2004 (which ruled out heart disease when I was having those bouts of crazy blood pressure spikes, and that was because I didn't know what side of the genetic coin I was on. My father had 5 procedures to put shunts or stints in his clogged arteries, and my mothers family all live past 90 yrs old. So I now know whose genetics I have. )

Anyway, that's been my experience.
Wulffie

Last edited by Wulffie; 12-01-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added info to mention pulse rate difference

Closed Thread