It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Doc wont give me any more meds even with high readings

So for the most part it seems my readings stay in the 125-140/65-80 range.

Problem is that occasionally, lets say I take my bp 10 times I will have one or two high readings usually "150/70, 145/65. I have told my doctor this but she says it is all anxiety related, and that she wants me to stop checking my blood pressure. My doctor says she doesn't want to give me any more meds than what I am taking "Benicar HCTZ 40" although I really believe it's just about the same as taking what I was taking before which was "Benicar 20mg" no diuretic.

What is going on here? I don't want to die of a heart attack or a stroke, can my occasional 150's do that? I need straight answer, and these meds are just slowing me down mentally and physically. Irregardless I want to get the pressure down, but if I take any more meds I am going to turn into a zombie. Is it possible my high readings are provoked by anxiety?

When I get the high readings my heart rate is really high, not sure if that is a sign of worry or stress.

Usually if I re-take the pressure a few minutes later it has dropped back down to 130's.

I am so confused about this garbage illness, am I controlled or not!? Is most of the day being controlled enough!? Do I get a new doctor, do I trust my doctor!?

*Proceeds to tear hair out*

Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Doc wont give me any more meds even with high readings

I think you should relax and forget about this for awhile.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Hi Dante,
Yes anxiety can and most likely is doing this to you bp readings. I have read many of your posts because I can relate to your anxiety about your bp. I don't have bp but I can get myself worked up to some pretty high numbers. I got myself into a big spiral by checking when I was anxious and rechecking because my numbers were high, more checking, more worrying, higher numbers you get the idea.

This is not a bp issue, your bp is well controlled on your meds. This is an anxiety issue. Anxiety usually shows in the systolic number just like it is doing with you and it is accompanied by elevated by high heart rate just like you are having. Your diastolic is low on all of your readings. And, most importantly your doctor says your issue is anxiety and obsessively checking your bp.

I know this because I was checking thirty times a day at my worst and my therapist had to call my gp to get him to tell me to stop. Once I cut back on the checking my bp came down. I now check once every three weeks and I am trying to go to a month and my bp is so much better and my spikes are so much less frequent.

Try to relax and stop obsessing about your bp. Your numbers are fine and I believe in an earlier post your said your average was in the 130s/70s or lower and that is what's important.

Take it from someone who has been there, the worst thing to obsess about is bp. I had to throw away my home monitor and for months I could hardly walk past a machine in a store because I wanted to check so bad.

For me the checking and the good number made me feel like I was ok and safe and I was always looking for that reassurance, maybe that is what you are looking for as well. The problem with this is that my mood, my activities, everything were tied to that "good" number so you can imagine what happened when it wasn't where I wanted it to be.

Try to limit the checking and deal with the anxiety that comes with that knowing that you are fine, you have a doctor on the case who says so.

Ivy

The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_T For This Useful Post:
Vyking (12-25-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

DC! Aten and Ms T are absolutely right! I've done the same thing as you - checking my BP repeatedly until it became a maddening, anxious obsession, just making my BP spike and scaring me on.

You know what? I discovered that I could raise my own BP instantly by consciously tightening up (actually, I had to pee real bad, and this discovery was an accident). Before peeing (tensed up), 148/96 -- after peeing (and relaxed), 132/84. Try it -- the deliberate tensing up, I mean. That's what anxiety can do, too.

Take it from this veteran anxiety-prone hypertensive -- put the machine aside for a while, out of sight. Give yourself a break! Your numbers are not nearly stroke level and those occasional 150s are nothing to worry about! (It's the ongoing average that matters.) Deal with the primary issue, which is anxiety, and the BP will smooth out.

Vocrin

Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

When you get the occasional 'high' readings, are you aware before you take your pressure that it will be high? Also, when do the higher readings seem to appear...anything you can possibly attribute it to?

Lastly, do you feel any symptoms when your pressure is higher than usual?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
(male)

Possibly, I know that when I am about to take my pressure my heart starts to beat really hard. Doctors have told me I have cuff anxiety, but sometimes I don't FEEL anxious and I still get a high reading. Although most of the time 98% if I take it again it will be lowered.

So for instance if I get a 147/65, if I take it 3-5 minutes later or even a minute after it drops to 130/70. If I take it again it drops to mid 120's etc.

This lowering seems to be the same 1 minute, or even 5 minutes after. It's very odd, but perhaps I have turned this into another source of anxiety.

After exercise my bp is 100/56... I still don't understand why my readings are so bizzarre.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Perhaps you arent waiting enough time between readings to get accurate numbers. Is your first reading always teh highest??

Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

Yes, always

And like I said ive waited 1-5 minutes each time.

The pamphlet with my machine says to wait 1 minute with arm-raised above head after a reading. Ive tried this and ive tried waiting the recommended five minutes here on the forums, the reading is lower either way.

Last edited by dantescritic; 12-26-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: More information

Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
(male)

WhatsUpDok HB User

Taking your blood pressure to many times is not recommended since there are always fluctuations in BP throughout the day and many things can cause vascular resistance and create false readings. It is usually recommended that you take readings once in the morning and once before bed but there are a list of "Best Practices" that you should follow when home monitoring. Home monitoring can help your Dr. fill in the gap between office visits (if done correctly) but 10 times a day is overkill and I can see why your doctor told you to stop. You should try a natural diet and exercise regimen on top of what you are already taking and slowly ween your self off of the meds all together, (under supervision of your doctor). Anxiety/Stress is one of the leading causes of HBP. If it is stress related natural therapies have a higher chance of success. I would highly recommend you check into the iLowerBP program which combines education, diet, exercise, stress reduction and home monitoring ("Best practices") in a simple 12 minute a day program. It's a great addition to your traditional treatment program.

Hope this helps

Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
(male)

realazy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantescritic View Post
Possibly, I know that when I am about to take my pressure my heart starts to beat really hard. Doctors have told me I have cuff anxiety, but sometimes I don't FEEL anxious and I still get a high reading. Although most of the time 98% if I take it again it will be lowered.

So for instance if I get a 147/65, if I take it 3-5 minutes later or even a minute after it drops to 130/70. If I take it again it drops to mid 120's etc.

This lowering seems to be the same 1 minute, or even 5 minutes after. It's very odd, but perhaps I have turned this into another source of anxiety.

After exercise my bp is 100/56... I still don't understand why my readings are so bizzarre.
What you're seeing is not unheard of. My BP exhibits the exact same behavior - lower by each reading (goes from 140/90 to nearly 120/80 after 5-6 readings), and it's also lower than average after exercising. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find other threads where people report the same behavior. So don't worry! As long as it's mostly <140/90, you should be fine

Closed Thread