It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

JEV20000 HB User
Norvasc and Alcohol?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking Norvasc (5 mg) to control my hypertension. A physician prescribed the medication in early-November, and, since then, I have not consumed any alcohol for precautionary reasons. Prior to my diagnosis, I would have described myself as an "occasional drinker" (sometimes I'd go months between drinks).

However, with the start of a new year upon us, I'm feeling the urge to indulge a little bit. So, that leads to my question (s) -- has anybody consumed alcohol while taking Norvasc? What are the repercussions? I take Norvasc in the morning; thus, would the adverse effects associated with the interaction of Norvasc and alcohol still manifest themselves during the night? Would choosing beer as opposed to "hard liquor" make any difference?

I know those are loaded questions, so I'd really appreciate any insights that you guys may have!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Re: Norvasc and Alcohol?

Drinking alcohol can further lower your blood pressure and may increase certain side effects of Norvasc. I would have fun, but no need to go crazy. I would stretch it out and just drink beer if it were me. Have fun!

The Following User Says Thank You to soflsun For This Useful Post:
JEV20000 (12-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User

My doctor said that 1-2 beers is fine. If you want to go crazy just realize that alcohol can lower your blood pressure, you might also be more drunk than you were before the medications. I would just try to keep it in moderation. I notice that the day I drink my pressure is fine, but the day after it is always more elevated than usual.

The Following User Says Thank You to dantescritic For This Useful Post:
JEV20000 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
(male)

JEV20000 HB User

Thanks for the responses! I wasn't planning on drinking inordinately to begin with as I presumed that excessive alcohol intake would not be prudent for anybody who's hypertensive in the first place. With that said, I appreciate the clarification. I did tell my physician that I "drink occasionally" and he simply shrugged it off when writing the prescription. Anyway, I'm going to follow up on some of your suggestions and stick to beers when I drink in the future. And again, thanks for the input!

Closed Thread