It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Does anger increase blood pressure?

I have moments of extreme anger, ive never attended an anger management class primarily because as of yet I haven't engaged anyone in a physical confrentation, although every day I feel more capable of doing so.

A combination of a bad childhood, frustration about anxiety and hypertension have turned me into a very bitter individual. Question is, could my blood pressure benefit from an anger management class? Or is increased anger=high bp just an old wives tale?

Thanks, DC

Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Does anger increase blood pressure?

I would expect that if one is amped up with anger, their BP is elevated. This would likely remit once the anger subsides though.

Is your BP well-controlled these days? On an ace Inhibitor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

shopgirl1971 HB Usershopgirl1971 HB User

Anger definitely affects blood pressure, but as atengnr said, it will subside once the anger passes. However, if you are "bitter" as you describe, this can affect your overall health. The constant presence of anger or anxiety has an impact on your blood pressure.

I had the most odd experience a few weeks ago. I rarely get angry. I mean, really angry. Yet, at work I had an episode with a coworker that made me so angry that I felt a pulse in my sinuses all the way down to my chest. Then, when I went home about 20 minutes later and was retelling the situation to my other half, I flushed bright red from head to toe... then it went away and within seconds it happened again.

I am on Bystolic, a beta blocker, and I can only imagine what my blood pressure must have been during that episode.

I think for your overall mental and physical well-being that counseling would help. I know posting here absolutely made me feel better when I was going through the musical chairs of finding the right HBP med. Attending counseling and sorting out why you feel as you do could assist in making you feel better as a person and in turn impact how you physically feel. Mental state has a lot of control where we would believe it would not.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No it is not an old wives tale as anger will definately raise it even if only for a short time. Many things affect your BP like being sick, anger, exercising and the list goes on. If your really bitter prehaps getting some sort of help would benifit you. Don't let it get you all wound up and cause even other health problems.

Best of wishes....JJ....

Closed Thread