It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Question re: LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 100mg

Hi:
Due to 'dizziness' and 'lightheadness' after taking Lisinopril 20 mg. twice a day for the past year, my GP changed to Losartan Potassium 100 mg. last week.

The new HB med. seems working without feeling 'light-headness' and 'dizziness,' but I still feel slight light-headness. For this, I tried half the pill more cutting the whole by using pill-cutter. The one and 1/2 pills (150 mg) certainly helping my HB. However, I have a concern over 'over-medicated,' knowing that the GP initially rx'ed 100 mg. per day.

If any of you have an experience on the LOSARTAN POTASSIUM or any knowledge to this med, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Question re: LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 100mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda06 View Post
Hi:
Due to 'dizziness' and 'lightheadness' after taking Lisinopril 20 mg. twice a day for the past year, my GP changed to Losartan Potassium 100 mg. last week.
You had taken Lisinopril for an entire year with minimal 'dizziness' and 'lightheadness'. How long did you have the problem of 'dizziness' and 'lightheadness' before you decided to change your medication? Could these new symptoms have been caused by a change in diet, or a change in the allergy season, etc.?

It just puzzles me why your doctor would change you to another, very similar medication with similar side effects?

Quote:
The new HB med. seems working without feeling 'light-headness' and 'dizziness,' but I still feel slight light-headness. For this, I tried half the pill more cutting the whole by using pill-cutter. The one and 1/2 pills (150 mg) certainly helping my HB.
You increased the Cozaar (Losartan Potassium) from 100 to 150 because, 100mg was causing slight light-headness? Did you get increased side effects after increasing to 150mg?

Quote:
However, I have a concern over 'over-medicated,' knowing that the GP initially rx'ed 100 mg. per day.

If any of you have an experience on the LOSARTAN POTASSIUM or any knowledge to this med, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
During the clinical trials it was found that 100mg of Cozaar (Losartan Potassium) was the maximum dose and that exceeding 100mg was of limited benefit.

Best of luck in tolerating your medications and improving your blood pressure. I've been on a variety of medications over the past 25 years and have also struggled with side effects, so I can appreciate your frustration and determination to co-exist with your medications!

Take care.....!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-12-2012 at 05:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Amanda06 (02-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Thanks for the useful response. I truly appreciate for your help.

As to HBP, I've been having for the past five to six years, but I didn't feel ill until last summer. At that time, I was feeling very sick with the uncontrollable dizziness and all other unwell feelings, i.e. I could not even look at cupboard/shelf above my head due to those overwhelming sicknesses. I went to my GP wondering why I felt that way. Afterwards, he told me it was because my blood-pressuren was awfully high, like 200 on the top number.

Since then, I have been dutifully taking the med. trying to control my HBP. Lisinopril 20 mg. was helping in the beginning, but for some reason I felt occasional dizziness and light-headness started around November, 2011. For that reason, he rx.ed LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 100mg.

It might be the same class of HBP med., however for me this med is better than the former one, Lisinopril 20 mg. bid. Also, I cut down drastically salty-foods after having read your response. For the past days after posting the threqd on this board, I have been feeling much better with only slight lightheadness during the night when I go to the bathroom. That's all about. LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 100mg certainly helping my HBP. For that, I feel very grateful.

One more question to ask is;
Except salty-foods, which class of foods should I avoid?

Thanks again,

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Amanda,

Glad you are feeling better on the new meds. Everyone reacts different to foods, and some are more sensitive than others.

Generally, too much meat and cheese are no good...and certain chemicals such as caffeine and MSG particularly.

The Following User Says Thank You to soflsun For This Useful Post:
Amanda06 (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda06 View Post
... Lisinopril 20 mg. was helping in the beginning, but for some reason I felt occasional dizziness and light-headness started around November, 2011. For that reason, he rx.ed LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 100mg.
There are many things, like foods or drinks or other medications or supplements that can interact with blood pressure medications and cause, or worsen side effects. For instance, both Lisinopril and Cozaar (Losartan Potassium) cause the metabolism to retain or accumulate potassium. If you eat or drink things containing too much potassium, you could experience all kinds of nasty side effects.

In my case, I take an Ace Inhibitor (Quinapril) similar to Lisinopril. I try to limit tomatoes, soy, high potassium cereals, coffee and several other food items that are high in potassium. If I consume foods or drinks with too much potassium my heartbeat gets more erratic, I'll have nocturnal breathing problems, I'll get lightheaded, etc.

Quote:
Also, I cut down drastically salty-foods after having read your response.
Limiting sodium/salt is not a bad idea, IMHO

Quote:
One more question to ask is;
Except salty-foods, which class of foods should I avoid?

Thanks again,
The older that we get, the more we need exercise and a balanced, low calorie, small meal, healthy diet, IMHO. Also...... women and men seem to need similar but different types of diets. Unfortunately, most dietary information available addresses diets effecting men's health and assumes that male diet and female diet are exactly the same. I disagree.

I struggled with nasty symptoms and chronically high blood pressure for many years. No matter how many blood pressure medications I took and how many tests were run by my cardiologist, I could not get my blood pressure down from very dangerous, high levels. My uncontrolled high blood pressure probably had something to do with causing my heart failure.

Back in December, 2004; I finally went on a diet that targeted Insulin Resistance. I was amazed at how much, and how fast, a very healthy diet could reduce my blood pressure! I had gone to several Cardiologists and doctors and had gone thru many tests and "all of the kings horses and all the kings men" could not bring my blood pressure down to healthy levels. I knew that the combination of Heart Failure and Chronically High Blood Pressure was killing me!

If you care to read what I had posted back in 2005 when I first started to diet, please follow the following link to my old thread under High & Low Blood Pressure titled: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html#post1429461

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-16-2012 at 08:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Amanda06 (02-15-2012)
Closed Thread