It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
conflicting readings

hello, mostly posting to see if anyone knows how accurate the store bp machines are compared to the home ones. at the store i usually go to its usually 120-135/90-95. at home its pretty consistent with the systolic, sometimes lower. but the diastolic seems to be off by 10 points. i have an omron digital arm reader, suppost to be accurate. i just dont know what to believe. at home i usually get readings 112-125/78-86. not so much concerned with the systolic as that tends to fluctuate more with activity but curious about the 10 point differential between the store machines (ive tried out 3 others) and the bp machine i have at home. anyone else run into this or have ideas?

thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
Re: conflicting readings

anybody here ever run into this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

ice,

The store machines are usually not calibrated well, and kids mess with them all the time. Best if you can check your machine against the doctor next time you go to be sure. Also, make sure that your arm is at heart level when taking it at home or that can cause a difference in readings.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

hi thanks for the response, i was wondering that as well and will take my machine to my next appt. ive read on the web use should wait anywhere between 3-10 minutes between readings. i asked a pharmacist who said 15. ive always been a little confused about the arm at heart level part, are they talking about the middle of the cuff being even with it or forearm?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

The cuff needs to be at heart level. You should wait the same amount of time when you test at home as you do in the store for comparison purposes.

If you take readings too close together it will be falsely low.

Closed Thread