It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

lro9518 HB User
can't control blood pressure

I am a 56 year old male 5' 9" 155lbs I run 5 miles per day 5 times a week watch what I eat, last blood work was normal. Before medication Blood pressure was 120-130 over 80-90 range early morning before going to work. Doctor's office readings were 90-100 over 140-150 range. After two visits in this range doc put me on benicar and no change, doc then changed med to valturna with same result. Why is med not working?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: can't control blood pressure

Are you taking your BP at home with a home monitor? You may be having "White Coat Hypertension" where your numbers go up at the doctor's office due to anxiety. Perhaps you don't have high BP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
(male)

lro9518 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Are you taking your BP at home with a home monitor? You may be having "White Coat Hypertension" where your numbers go up at the doctor's office due to anxiety. Perhaps you don't have high BP
I have heard about this. I take BP before bedtime and is same as doc,if I wake up in the middle of the night and take a read #s are 100-110 over 65-75range,last summer I was sent to a cardialogist for an ECHO and ELECTRO I asked the nurse taking BP what were the #s, 118 over 80 she replied, and the tests showed a normal strong heart,so I was told,all this before med was introduce. Do you think I should get a nuclear stress test?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

your readings are never in the higher range when at home? only at the DR's? If so, that might mean your measurements and the DR's are not the same. YOu and DR use two different methods, and one is more accurate then the other. Probably the DR is more accurate. I'm not so sure anymore. I get different readings from my Omron arm, from my Microlife wrist, from the local store, from the DR, etc. They are ALL different!

I took my Omron device to the DR and found the DR's reading almost never matches my home readings. Dr's is almost always about 10-20pts higher. Maybe they are more accurate, I'm not sure. Maybe it's just being at the DR office. You have to do this several times to get a calibration amount to know what to add/subtract to your home readings, to make them reflect more accurately the DR office readings.

Or should the DR office readings more reflect home readings? I would add points at home to reflect the DR office, but now now I think that the readings at the Dr office are too high and I should subtract points so the DR readings more closely match my home readings!

To know for sure, it would be ideal if the Dr office nurse came to your home and took a reading AT home! But that's not going to happen.

This issue drives me nuts. We need to know our BP levels as accurate as possible. So here's what I do now. I use just the Omron and take morning, afternoon, and evening readings. Then compare readings over time and compare morning to morning readings, afternoon to afternoon readings, evening to evening readings over time. Do not compare afternoon to evening, etc. (great tip from Machaon!).

I've learned that White Coat Syndrome is not just because I'm at the DR's office, it's just driving there that also raises BP. They way your readings look, which is very good at home, is that you might not even need BP meds. (my opinion, not medical advice)

And 118 over 80 is an acceptable good reading. But BP alone doesn't mean all is ok. If you have other symptoms maybe continue more tests. You can do an EKG stress test without nuclear which is much less expensive. If that is ok, and all the other tests are ok, and you have no other symptoms, I probably wouldn't do a nuclear. Just monitor your BP daily and if it stays in those good ranges at home, I wouldn't even take BP meds. A few high readings at DR office, when home readings are fine, and the reading at your Echo was fine, indicates a temporary BP, which is normal at times. If you go home and range is good again, I'd say you are fine and don't need meds. But if the BP stays in the higher ranges even at home, then it needs immediate attention.

BP meds sometimes do nothing because does is low. Dr will simply up the does or add a 2nd med.

This happened to me. I had sustained high BP at home and at the DR's. I was put on 2 low dose meds that brought it done. That was 2 months ago. I then did a lot of research into hypertension, the cause, etc. I was overwieght and eating poorly. I immedieately changed my diet and have lost weight. I then have learned there are supplements clinically proven to lower BP. I didn't know that. I took the meds. But now I take the supplements to hopefully lower or get off the meds. My weight loss, healthy diet, and supplements seem to be working- I've cut my BP meds in half and still ok.

A book to read to learn about how to lower BP without meds, or keep a healthy BP from turning into hypertension is "The Blood Pressure Cure". Another supplement that gets high reviews for working, is Michael's Blood Pressure Factors, avail at health food stores.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
(male)

camjunkie HB User

The medication may not work for you. Everyone is different. Ask your doctor to try an ace inhibitor or diuretic. I have no idea why he would put you on an ARB to start.

Closed Thread