It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Losartan heart palpitations

I am currently a 23 year old male taking 100/25 Losartan HCT.

Although in terms of every other side effect this has been the best medication I am worried about a troubling effect.

When I exercise now I develop a strong palpitation "feels like a skipped beat" more than a few times during my exercise regiment. Does this sound like a dangerous effect or has anyone else experienced it?

Is it possible I should lower my dosage?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
(male)

Re: Losartan heart palpitations

over 500 views and no responses, anybody!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Youre taking 25mg hydrochlorothiazide? Wow, thats a good dose. Personally, I would be dehydrated as a prune and feeling horrid on 25mg HCTZ.

Did you take 25 mg HCTZ when you took your ace inhibitor? If not, perhaps you can try losartan without HCTZ or at 12.5??

Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
(male)

Hey aten yes I also took it with the ace. Although to be honest not really sure its even making a difference.

So this palpitation sensation was after the HCT, do you think its anything to worry about? This morning I did the same intense workout and didnt get the palp, though it was nearly 12 hours after taking my medication.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

dantes,

You beg for replies, then when atengnr gives you a response you don't even throw him a "thank you."

Anyway, as you probably already know from your OCD, the only way to know if your arrhythmia is dangerous is to have it recorded by a monitor. Go to a cardiologist if you are worried. How do you think anyone here is going to know if it is dangerous?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
(male)

Sofl, I had no idea the thank function was an important button on this site. I was merely hoping that someone may have experienced similiar symptoms. Sorry oft having offended you and thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Its no prob at all. You got a reply from me that was of no help anyway

The only reason I had asked about HCTZ is because of "possible" electrolyte abnormalities due to its use, but combined with ACE or ARB, hypokalemia should not be an issue (as it can be with HCTZ alone).

You didnt have the problem with ACE and HCTZ? If not, do you have any pills left? If so, switch back for a week and see if the issue goes away.

How the heck do you tolerate 25mg HCTZ?? Do you drink alot of water or something? Im curious because I feel miserable taking HCTZ 12.5 after about one week. Is there a trick?

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
dantescritic (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Its no prob at all. You got a reply from me that was of no help anyway

The only reason I had asked about HCTZ is because of "possible" electrolyte abnormalities due to its use, but combined with ACE or ARB, hypokalemia should not be an issue (as it can be with HCTZ alone).

You didnt have the problem with ACE and HCTZ? If not, do you have any pills left? If so, switch back for a week and see if the issue goes away.

How the heck do you tolerate 25mg HCTZ?? Do you drink alot of water or something? Im curious because I feel miserable taking HCTZ 12.5 after about one week. Is there a trick?
Hey aten, thanks for responding.

No the ACE gave me terrible side effects, with the ARB this is the only one. As for the diuretic im really not sure, I actually started on 25mg about 6 months ago. I likely don't really need it as it hasn't dramatically changed my bp anyway. What sort of symptoms do the diuretics cause? Also, is it safe to ask the doctor to put me on 12.5 instead?

thanks, dante

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, I will say that nephrologists often say that going over 12.5 mg does not help BP much, and increases the risk of hypokalemia. If you have no BP benefit from HCTZ, then I think thats worth telling your doctor because at that point its doing you no good.

Symptoms might include muscle cramping, decreased erectile function, feeling dehydrated.

I have tried 12.5 HCTZ on and off several times for 1 month stretches, and my BP does not move at all, though I certainly feel horrid. But I also drink very little water during the day, so perhaps this is causing my problem?

Closed Thread