It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

HorseCrazyLady HB User
Weaing off Lisinopril

Hello all,
I have been on Lisinoprl 6 months, and am suffering from terrible side effects.

Does anyone have any advice on weaning off? I'm adding magnesium Citrate and L arginine. Thanks

Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

One does not need to wean off ACE INHIBITORS, like lisinopril.
The only hypertension meds you need to wean off of are beta blockers.

However, since we don't know your health history, please consult your doctor first!!

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Do you have hypertension? If so, then you need to try a different medication. Don't stop taking your meds! That's a good way to have a heart attack!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjunkie View Post
Do you have hypertension? If so, then you need to try a different medication. Don't stop taking your meds! That's a good way to have a heart attack!
not if you can keep your BP under control with diet, lifestyle, and supplements. If that doesn't work, then yes meds are necessary. I'm quiting my lisinopril this month and switching to pomegranate juice, which is as powerful as an ACE med, with the same benefits, and no side effects (except diarrhea when taken too much and thins the blood, so not recommended if you have nose bleeds)

Last edited by easygoingguy; 03-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
not if you can keep your BP under control with diet, lifestyle, and supplements. If that doesn't work, then yes meds are necessary. I'm quiting my lisinopril this month and switching to pomegranate juice, which is as powerful as an ACE med, with the same benefits, and no side effects (except diarrhea when taken too much and thins the blood, so not recommended if you have nose bleeds)
If you have essential hypertension, none of the above will work. Period. If you are overweight and out of shape, then try it. I was a long distance runner when my issues started - 24 years old, 5'8", and 150lbs. And any doctor worth his salt should have suggested lifestyle changes before writing an RX.

And one scientific study showed a 5% reduction in systolic BP from pomegranate juice. So give it a shot, but don't expect a miracle. Peace!

Cite:
Aviram M, Dornfeld L. The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, 31096 Haifa, Israel.
Peace.

Last edited by camjunkie; 03-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjunkie View Post
If you have essential hypertension, none of the above will work. Period. If you are overweight and out of shape, then try it. I was a long distance runner when my issues started - 24 years old, 5'8", and 150lbs. And any doctor worth his salt should have suggested lifestyle changes before writing an RX.

And one scientific study showed a 5% reduction in systolic BP from pomegranate juice. So give it a shot, but don't expect a miracle. Peace!

Cite:
Aviram M, Dornfeld L. The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, 31096 Haifa, Israel.
Peace.

that may be true about essential hypertension, but that is a small percentage of those with high BP. Diet/lifestyle/supplements may work in a lot of cases, as this study found:

the Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, study from 2004( Clin Nutr 2004;23(3):423-33.) found that in 1 year not only did POM juice reduce BP by 12% it also "resulted in a significant IMT (carotid intima-media thickness) reduction, by up to 30%.."!

That's a 30% reduction in artery plaque! In 1 year! BP meds don't do that. And those IN the study that did not consume pomegranate juice had an average 9% INCREASE of plaque!

12% is significant and can be a part of a diet/lifestyle to keep BP down. But not only that, it helps to reverse plaque for those with high cholesterol.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 03-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Closed Thread