It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 1
HorseCrazyLady HB User
Weaing off Lisinopril

Hello all,
I have been on Lisinoprl 6 months, and am suffering from terrible side effects.

Does anyone have any advice on weaning off? I'm adding magnesium Citrate and L arginine. Thanks

 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,091
zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

One does not need to wean off ACE INHIBITORS, like lisinopril.
The only hypertension meds you need to wean off of are beta blockers.


However, since we don't know your health history, please consult your doctor first!!

zuzu

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 219
camjunkie HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

Do you have hypertension? If so, then you need to try a different medication. Don't stop taking your meds! That's a good way to have a heart attack!

 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jax, FL USA
Posts: 157
easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjunkie View Post
Do you have hypertension? If so, then you need to try a different medication. Don't stop taking your meds! That's a good way to have a heart attack!
not if you can keep your BP under control with diet, lifestyle, and supplements. If that doesn't work, then yes meds are necessary. I'm quiting my lisinopril this month and switching to pomegranate juice, which is as powerful as an ACE med, with the same benefits, and no side effects (except diarrhea when taken too much and thins the blood, so not recommended if you have nose bleeds)

Last edited by easygoingguy; 03-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.

 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 219
camjunkie HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
not if you can keep your BP under control with diet, lifestyle, and supplements. If that doesn't work, then yes meds are necessary. I'm quiting my lisinopril this month and switching to pomegranate juice, which is as powerful as an ACE med, with the same benefits, and no side effects (except diarrhea when taken too much and thins the blood, so not recommended if you have nose bleeds)
If you have essential hypertension, none of the above will work. Period. If you are overweight and out of shape, then try it. I was a long distance runner when my issues started - 24 years old, 5'8", and 150lbs. And any doctor worth his salt should have suggested lifestyle changes before writing an RX.

And one scientific study showed a 5% reduction in systolic BP from pomegranate juice. So give it a shot, but don't expect a miracle. Peace!

Cite:
Aviram M, Dornfeld L. The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, 31096 Haifa, Israel.
Peace.

Last edited by camjunkie; 03-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.

 
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jax, FL USA
Posts: 157
easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Weaing off Lisinopril

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjunkie View Post
If you have essential hypertension, none of the above will work. Period. If you are overweight and out of shape, then try it. I was a long distance runner when my issues started - 24 years old, 5'8", and 150lbs. And any doctor worth his salt should have suggested lifestyle changes before writing an RX.

And one scientific study showed a 5% reduction in systolic BP from pomegranate juice. So give it a shot, but don't expect a miracle. Peace!

Cite:
Aviram M, Dornfeld L. The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, 31096 Haifa, Israel.
Peace.

that may be true about essential hypertension, but that is a small percentage of those with high BP. Diet/lifestyle/supplements may work in a lot of cases, as this study found:

the Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, study from 2004( Clin Nutr 2004;23(3):423-33.) found that in 1 year not only did POM juice reduce BP by 12% it also "resulted in a significant IMT (carotid intima-media thickness) reduction, by up to 30%.."!

That's a 30% reduction in artery plaque! In 1 year! BP meds don't do that. And those IN the study that did not consume pomegranate juice had an average 9% INCREASE of plaque!

12% is significant and can be a part of a diet/lifestyle to keep BP down. But not only that, it helps to reverse plaque for those with high cholesterol.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 03-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Atenolol
Benicar
Clonidine Cozaar
Diovan
  Lisinopril
Lotrel
Norvasc
Potassium
Toprol




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Machaon (55), atengnr (48), JJ (35), soflsun (29), Flutterbye77 (17), flowergirl2day (16), flitz (16), zuzu8 (15), cartner (12), rudiraven (12)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!