It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

ganymede HB User
Post cannot tolerate side effects of blood pressure meds

I am at my wit's end with medication for high blood pressure (175/90). I have tried alpha blockers, beta blockers, diuretics, clonidine, all with miserable side effects, the worst being confusion/memory impairment, which I cannot tolerate because, at 75, I am losing alertness anyway. I take Verapamil 180mg daily but cannot increase the dose without significant hair loss and weakness that makes me afraid to drive. I am in perfect health otherwise. I am small in stature, 125 lbs, eat sensibly and exercise.

Can anyone suggest anything beyond the medications I have already tried?
(Atelanol, Aldacatone, Amlodipine, Dosazocin (unbearable!), Lopressor, Losartin, Lisinopril and Hydrolozine.

I have a family history of high blood pressure. I hope someone can help.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Re: cannot tolerate side effects of blood pressure meds

Have you tried any ARB's like Benicar yet? They are notorious for not as many side-effects as other BP meds, although I had a terrible reaction to generic Losartan.

Of all the BP drugs I have taken Benicar was the best, unfortunately my insurance no longer covers it.

Other things I do for bp, drink a warm glass of garlic water in the morning. Pretty nasty, but if you can handle if I see a 4-5 mm/hg drop in bp every time.

The Following User Says Thank You to dantescritic For This Useful Post:
ganymede (02-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

There is a beta/alpha drug called Coreg that is good. Less suppression of heart rate than other beta blockers and better for vascular resistance as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to soflsun For This Useful Post:
ganymede (02-22-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

I suggest avoiding the adrenergic drugs such as beta blockers and beta/alpha blockers (Coreg, Labetalol). Although Bystolic may be worth at least a try.

Have you tried diltiazem (Cardizem)? Its not unlike verapamil, though it may work for you.

Have you tried amiloride? It is a diuretic that is not often used alone, but can be effective for some.

As last resorts go, Tekturna is a newer ($$$) drug that may be a consideration.

What is your blood pressure usually?? When did you develop hypertension??This might help in selecting a drug that is more toelrable for you.

Last edited by atengnr; 02-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
ganymede (02-23-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
I am at my wit's end with medication for high blood pressure (175/90). I have tried alpha blockers, beta blockers, diuretics, clonidine, all with miserable side effects, the worst being confusion/memory impairment, which I cannot tolerate because, at 75, I am losing alertness anyway. I take Verapamil 180mg daily but cannot increase the dose without significant hair loss and weakness that makes me afraid to drive. I am in perfect health otherwise. I am small in stature, 125 lbs, eat sensibly and exercise.

Can anyone suggest anything beyond the medications I have already tried?
(Atelanol, Aldacatone, Amlodipine, Dosazocin (unbearable!), Lopressor, Losartin, Lisinopril and Hydrolozine.

I have a family history of high blood pressure. I hope someone can help.
First, Tekturna is not an option - it has been pulled from the market. Second, I feel your pain, as I am going through the same nonsense now - it's very frustrating.

My advice is to not give up on any class of drugs until you have tried them all. For instance, I cannot tolerate Benicar (ARB), but I can tolerate Avapro (ARB) (though I still have some side effects from it). I didn't like Bystolic (Beta) at all (made me ill), but I can tolerate 50mg of Toprol (Beta) with no side effects.

Which brings me to another point - try low to moderate doses to start. You can often get good control take a small does of two meds and not have the side effects you get with a large dose of one med.

Whatever you do, just know there are plenty of others just like you. Do not give up.

Closed Thread