It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
(male)

markaz HB User
Question Safe Blood Pressure Reading

Hello all--I have a question-My blood Pressure was 150/100 about a year ago at rest-Today at rest--its 110/67 (been doing the Slow Breathing) and yes it works well as you can see--I'm on no meds i eat healthy and i'm a 50 yr old male.I would like to know--What is a normal blood pressure reading when active-mowing lawns washing cars-stacking wood-helping the guy next door move a wood shed-Active--IS there such a thing as Normal active Blood pressure? Could one say that as long as your pressure while active doesnt go above say 150/95 you should be good-If so--then why in the world would that kind of reading be good-Yes at rest it goes down to low happy levels.. Whats a good working all day pressure-lifting stress moving around--whats safe-and where do you draw the line? Thanks have a great day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Safe Blood Pressure Reading

Blood pressure normals for the non-resting state have not been clearly defined. There is some literature suggesting normals in the active state, but these are not solid enough to use for diagnosis. systolic >200 mmHg has been suggested as elevated for maximal exercise in some studies.

One reading, either one year ago or now does not carry alot of meaning. If you have a concern about your blood pressure, measure it over a period of weeks, after resting in a chair for 10 minutes, feet flat on the ground, arm at heart level, with a relaible BP cuff. Record these values....If your BP is >120/80, you are likely prehypertensive, >140/90 youre hypertensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
markaz (02-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
(male)

markaz HB User

I guess i passed the test! I just took my pressure while at rest for 10 minutes--112/67.. The Slow breathing for 15 mins a day in the late morning simply does it! I have been doing that breathing from the day i had at rest 150/100 a year ago! Now at rest i see numbers of 102/65--BUT as soon as i start moving bricks washing cars-cleaning up outside and running around cleaning gutters--I retake my pressure (NOT at rest and its 145/90!!!!!!!!!! Rest-5 10 min 112/67 Everytime! My point is--I guess when active its ok to have Pressure that high--as long as its DOWN at rest! It almost sounds like--When the sun is out you can throw rocks at the glass--but at night dont throw anything.. Personally it makes no sense to me--Why only at rest should the pressure be down? How about when active-Your pressure is up--Even people taking Meds-Its up--HOW CAN THAT BE GOOD FOR YOU?? Strange indeed.. Thanks for the reply--have a great eve!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Mark, could you describe your slow breathing technique?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

I think you can look at this the following way: Imagine a plot of a normotensives blood pressure taken every hour over 24 hrs. For the moments spent at rest (including 8 hrs of sleep), the bp is 115/80, but during exertion, the blood pressure is higher. Now, a hypertensive say resting at 160/100, also has a markedly elevated blood pressures during exertion vs the normal person. So their 24 hr plot is more or less SHIFTED upward, such that for every state of activity, the blood pressure is higher than that seen in the normotensive.

Resting blood pressure is used because it is the easiest to define and standardize. It is also a marker for elevated blood pressure in the non-resting state.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
markaz (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
(male)

markaz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
Mark, could you describe your slow breathing technique?
Its slow 10 breathes per min for 15 min--Take your pressure after that and you wont believe it!.. If this is your first time doing this--You need to start off at more breathes per min!

Closed Thread