It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

Richard Lees HB User
Hydroclorothiazide & Lisinopril

I have a question about this BP cocktail my doctor has had me on for a while.
12.5 MG Hydroclorothyazide
10 mg lisinopril
25 mg atenolol

Firstly, Are these safe together daily?
even with them my BP runs 135 over 78 daily... Is that too high?
Ive been on them for 5 years and would like to get off of them.

I'm 54, ex smoker, and have a history of scary anxiety attacks that mimic heart aches so I've been to emergency rooms a few times and told my heart was fine. Any suggestions or clarifications would be appreciated thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
(male)

Richard Lees HB User
Re: Hydroclorothiazide & Lisinopril

I would especially like to get off the lisinopril. Can I? Is there withdrawal problems if i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

you don't know that 135 over 78 is excellent?

Dr's often mix drugs in low doses because side effects are often too severe on a high dose of one drug. That sounds reasonable and often really does prevent intolerable side effects. But as for safety I don't know but I don't like the idea of taking a mix of pharmaceuticals for long term, how could that be good? Even over the counter drugs are not safe when taken long term or extra doses.

My goal is to get off meds if possible with diet and lifestyle change. It's a slow process but I'm making progress. I'm planning to replace lisinopril with pomegranate juice or concentrate. You can't take both at same time because pomegranate juice is as powerful as an ACE med! I'm slowly reducing lisinopril and plan to stop it completely, wait maybe a week, then start pomegranate juice. If it doesn't work I'l try other supplements. Possibly nitric oxide tabs.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 02-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingguy For This Useful Post:
Richard Lees (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
(male)

Richard Lees HB User

Yes thats my goal too. I started exercising and eating right... Im going to give that a few months and see If I can lower meds further. I need to lose 20 lbs too, they say that can drop BP down about 5-10 points. Thanks for your reply. The meds affect sex drive for certain.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

The one drug there that is relatively ineffective at preventing harm from high blood pressure is the atenolol (beta blockers). I recommend switching to another class of drug if youre only using it for high blood pressure.

If you gain other benefit from the atenolol, I suggest trying a dilating beta blocker like Coreg or Bystolic. Although the long-term data is not available for these drugs yet, they are likely to be far more effective than the old 1st and 2nd gen beta blockers like atenolol.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
(female)

jana65 HB User

I am on almost the exact prescriptions that you listed except at my checkup this week my BP was 151/81 which my dr. said is too high. So he increased my Lisinopril HCTZ to 25 from 12.5...So far, I can't tell a difference. I have been on these for the past 5 yrs. and they have done a good job on BP with no side-effects that I could tell. My meds are Atenolol - 24 mg
Lisinopril 20 mg 12.5 HCTZ (This is the one he upped)
Lipitor - 40 mg

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

jana65 HB User

Oops, I meant 25 mg Atenolol !!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
(female)

jip0890 HB User

I took HCT and lisinopril and really didn't like how i felt on the HCT so my doctor said as long as the BP stayed down on the lisinopril (and i broke the salt shaker) that i would not have to take it. Are you having any side effects from the HCT? And, do you have any trouble with spiking of the bp?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
(female)

jana65 HB User

The HCTZ makes you have to go to the bathrrom ( urine ) more often and therefore helps reduce BP. Other than lots of " tee-teeing " I've noticed no side effects.

Closed Thread