HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   High BP *causing* anxiety? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/894586-high-bp-causing-anxiety.html)

jonesmat 03-26-2012 08:23 AM

High BP *causing* anxiety?

Hi there,

I am newly diagnosed with high BP (but with a good nocturnal dip). My numbers are not alarming but still they reckon it's worth treating. I am starting on Ramipril 5mg once a day (same dose as my father who has been taking it for years).

Anyway. The reason I am posting is...

1. Simply, how long should it take for the meds to lower my BP? When should I start to see a noticeable reduction?

2. Everything I have read says that high BP is a silent disease and doesn't cause any symptoms until it starts affecting organs. For me, however, I am wondering whether there is an association between high blood pressure and increased nervous system activity.

I have had recently a number of episodes (which typically last most of the day starting at breakfast and ending by evening) whereby I feel tense, nervous, anxious, unable to concentrate and very fidgety. My HR is also higher than I would expect it to be, resting around 75 ish (my normal is 60-65 ish) although it's not tachycardic (i.e. not over 90). This situation is now permanent, and it's causing me difficulty sleeping and I've lost loads of weight because I'm not eating that well.

Does anyone recognise this whatsoever? Any wise words would really help as I am really worried there's something more serious going on like an adrenal tumor or something.

Many thanks.

Matt

ftbwgil 03-26-2012 08:46 AM

Re: High BP *causing* anxiety?

Hi Matt,

I was diagnosed with high BP and I believe it was related to anxiety. The doctor wanted me on Beta blockers BP was 160/100. I thought I had cancer I was living WHAT IF about any doomsday situation I could think of. i went for many tests and they did not see anything wrong. I believe my high BP was due to stress as it has consistently been 116/75 for the last 3 months. I lost 15 pouns changed my diet and stoppped thinking what if. I am from a bad childhoood therefore stresss and anxiety is predominant. I take 1000 mg rhodiola every day and drink calming teas and I do deep breathing exercises. There are a lot of natural options but they require work. The problem also is once I start feeling good I get lazy therefore continued effort is required.
I do believe there are physical and emotional reasona for high BP. Look inn the internet on how to lower BP and anxiety naturally and write in a journal daily that you are doing well. Its amazing how anxiety can create so many difeerent symptoms that we think where dying and then that fuels further anxiety and it just goes on and on. And of course all that tension and anxiety will raise your BP. Of course there are medical reasons for high BP such as cholesterol etc. I can relate to your story and can only suggest that you start changing the way you think and change should come.

Good luck

Inquisitive1too 03-26-2012 02:55 PM

I can relate. I have anxiety as well as hypertension. Heck, was officially diagnosed with hypertension at the age of 17. And because it's hereditary they believe that is why I have it.
(Of course I'd still like to know the physiological or chemical cause - you know, the actual mechanism at work that causes my relatives and myself to have hypertension, but I currently don't have an answer to that that question.)

But in any case, my anxiety tortures and debilitates me but it's especially torturous and consuming when it comes to my blood pressure.
So hopefully I can help to answer some of your questions from my years of experience with this topic. :)

"1. Simply, how long should it take for the meds to lower my BP? When should I start to see a noticeable reduction?"

For me and what I've read, it takes an hour from the first dose for it to go into effect and supposedly it's at peak effectiveness after 6 hours of having taken it... although in my experience that time-frame can be more around 8-10 hours.

"For me, however, I am wondering whether there is an association between high blood pressure and increased nervous system activity."

I have been informed that this is definitely possible, with the exception of the fact that each person's hypertension differs in cause from person to person. Your sympathetic nervous system, if it was overactive, could result in hypertension.
But keep in mind that the hardcore, bottom-line data to support this current view is lacking. Hence why I say it is "possible".

I also believe it is possible that your anxiety is raising your pulse as well as your blood pressure. The fact that you're feeling "tense, nervous, anxious, unable to concentrate and very fidgety" as well as your "difficulty sleeping" and your loss of "loads of weight" because you're "not eating that well" tells me that you most likely suffer from anxiety either before being diagnosed with hypertension or as a result of it.

Now, I would love to tell you that science currently has an answer as to why anybody/everybody has hypertension and that they have a solution to resolve it... but unfortunately they either don't or they're holding back lol.
So in the meantime, we must take our own steps to keep our blood pressure at a healthy average (as well as take our medications for as long as we need them).

My advice?
Start with lowering your anxiety by means of counseling of one form or another, or in other words... talk it out. Talk about the times you feel anxious; the thoughts running through your head before, during and after; the emotions you're going through; etc.
Try to find the main causes of your anxiety by keeping a journal (don't forget to include the foods you eat as certain ones can cause anxiety, or what you were generally doing before the anxiety came), and then work towards retraining your thought processes to become less anxious and less worrisome.

The next thing I'd suggest is (depending on your medications) try including a healthy amount of bananas (or potassium) and peppers (or capsaicin) into your diet as they both have a lowering effect on blood pressure.

And lastly I'd suggest exercise, specifically in the form of cardio as cardio has a GREAT blood pressure lowering effect.

Hopefully I have helped in some form or another. :)
If I have failed to answer anything or you have more questions feel free to ask!

easygoingguy 03-26-2012 08:31 PM

Great advice from Inquisitive1too and ftbwgil. Exercise also helps anxiety as well as BP.

On Dr Oz tv show yesterday they suggested Green Coffee Bean Extract as a supplement to lower BP. I found the study that tested it on 117 males- it was a double blind placebo study, the best possible. The study found that GCBE significantly lowered BP, and had no side effects. It has very little caffeine. Amazing what Dr's don't tell you. It's available from Source Naturals.

Another product I'm going to try is Levodyn.

dantescritic 04-20-2012 01:59 PM

I was just thinking, all of the young anxiety/hypertensives on this site should exchange e-mail. Or even ask for a sub-board to discuss the connections.

Before I had my anxiety disorder my blood pressure was a perfect 120/80 now it fluctuates 140-160/80-90 sometimes even higher if in a very stressful situation "doctors office".

Inquisitive1too 04-27-2012 12:57 AM

[QUOTE=dantescritic;4965089]I was just thinking, all of the young anxiety/hypertensives on this site should exchange e-mail. Or even ask for a sub-board to discuss the connections.

Before I had my anxiety disorder my blood pressure was a perfect 120/80 now it fluctuates 140-160/80-90 sometimes even higher if in a very stressful situation "doctors office".[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea, actually. Especially because it would seem that, logically, there would be a connection or two.

From my understanding, your Blood Pressure is regulated by your Kidneys, your Hormones and your Nervous System.

Now, we often hear that genetics or heredity is the cause of many young, healthy, hypertensives but... genetics/heredity isn't some kind of magical, end-all explanation for anything. Basically, all genetics/heredity means is one of the factors that regulate your Blood Pressure is not acting as it should because of an unknown cause... which happens to run in your family.
Essentially it could be a deformation of something, an excess in nerves (for example), the thyroid malfunctioning in a very specific way, etc.

My biggest question is: What are some things many of us have in common?

Perhaps not enough (or not large enough) research has been conducted to examine the correlations between patients with Essential (or hereditary/genetic) Hypertension.

I'll start...
With me, I was diagnosed at 17 when my BP was at 170/110. I had some blood work and urine tests done, all came back fine (according to the Dr.) and later, I had a test where I wore a monitor connected to some sticky circular pads all over my chest for 24 hours- that test came back fine. I've also had EKG's (even had 2 done about 2 months ago)- those came back fine. And lastly I've had a test done where they put gel on my chest and stuck some kind of handheld thing to my chest and moved it around and showed an ultrasound-looking image on a screen and had determined that I had 3 heart murmurs that were very small and that they could see my heart palpitations- and also concluded that my murmurs should clear up in a few years (saying they were most likely associated with young age) and that my heart was 100% healthy.

From my childhood though, I had anxiety for as long as I could remember and some degree of depression (though that was most likely due to neglect from my father).
I was also diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) at the age of 7 and took Ritalin, only on school days (not weekends or summer breaks), and only up until 9th Grade, where I stopped taking it altogether.
And currently, my psychiatrist and therapist strongly believe I am a strong candidate for having Asperger's Syndrome.
(I just need insurance to get the tests done for my Psychiatrist to make an official diagnosis.)

I hope this information helps someone, somehow.
How about you guys/gals?
Any of you have hypertension for an unknown cause and care to share your medical info so we can find commonalities?